Author Topic: Comparison Test: Luxury Flagships  (Read 12399 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Luxury Flagships
« on: June 19, 2014, 06:31:04 am »

A quintet of quintessential luxury over an urban route of highway, side streets and stop-and-go hell. Which machine reigns supreme?

Read More...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: Comparison Test: Luxury Flagships
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:25:53 am »
No surprise who the winner is here!  What is surprising to me is how well the Jag scored considering its relatively old design.  My favorite lookers out of this lot though is the RR followed closely by the Jag as both are simply gorgeous IMO!  BTW is the ingress/egress really that bad for the RR?  Not sure I would find that much of an issue... :-\  Sure makes up for it with great versatility though!

Best line:

"One could also argue that trying to find personality and excitement within the perfectly painted flanks of Lexus’ flagship sedan is like trying to spot Rob Ford on a bike at the Pride Parade."

:rofl:  :thumbup:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:29:48 am by KarlsDarwin »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 08:48:47 am »
Unfortunate that the 7 Series and A8 were not here. But yes it did feel like a slightly foregone conclusion.

The seats in that S-Class...holy :censor:!
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:00:42 am »
Firstly, I have to congratulate you all on some very, very good writing; for a long article, I was captivated throughout (and I do not tend to pay attention to things for longer than 2 minutes).  With that being said, you all managed to take vehicles that could inspire 30 page theses, yet provided a very thorough review in a few short paragraphs.  Not an easy task, indeed.  Well done!

It's interesting, too, that with all the choices on where to spend your $150,000 in pocket change, one does not have an outright winner.  There are flaws with all of the vehicles, yet at the same time, anyone would be privileged to spend a day in them.  Hard day at work for you lads and lassies, hey ;)?

I find that both the Lexus and the Merc fall short in terms of styling - only as to say that they're hard to distinguish between the rest of their corporate offerings.  I look at the full-frontal shot of the LS and think, "is that the IS?"  Good for the IS, bad for the LS.  I do love that spindle grill, though.  Same with the Merc - they are all starting to look identical to me (BMW has this exact same issue where I can't tell the 5-series apart from the 3- any more).  A flagship should look similar, but not identical, IMO.  Case-in-point, the XJ's front may be similar to the XF, but the derričre is unique.  I like unique.

It's interesting, also, that of the 'flagships', none of these were the loaded models.  There are options missing, and some put in that I wouldn't throw $15,000 at (better to buy Baby's First Spark?).

In the end, the S-class has always been about prestige and coddling, but I don't think it's the one I'd opt for.  The Panamera, to me, is a mess as a 4-seater - for 5, sure, but for such a big car, you don't get big space - why bother?  The Macan will be far better, IMO.  The Range Rover is sinister, moreso than the Merc.  It just screams Gangsta, which is a shame since as an offroader, it's sublime, and as a "I'm a gonna pass yo as$" it's too much fun.  Sometimes, an excellent car appeals to the wrong people (Escalade?  Rob Ford?) and it just ruins the image.  The Lexus is a bit too "HOWARD, I NEED TO GET TO FLARADA" (if you watch the Big Bang Theory) and appeals to a crowd too old or too bland.

I, like Sir Jacob Black, would opt for the Jag - I still don't like that it's a 4-seater, though.  At this price point, I'd probably also opt for the V8 instead of the V6 (though you then lose the AWD, shame) since the 'eco' engine choice returned such disappointing fuel #s - why not just get the true beaut?  The Jag has the look, the comfort, the size, and the prestige, all in a package that's easy to live with.  Hard to argue with that (assuming you're me).

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 09:45:29 am »
it would have been funny to have a Genesis V8 long wheelbase ultimate in there to see how much of a difference there is.

but good article, thank you all!

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 09:50:40 am »
You know... that would have been very interesting. It would lose in the cachet department, but I'll bet it would give the Lexus a run for its money.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 09:58:16 am »
it would have been funny to have a Genesis V8 long wheelbase ultimate in there to see how much of a difference there is.

I think you mean the Equus.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:13 am »

....sh1t.  you are right.   :o  can't believe i couldn't even remember the name of their flagship.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:13:38 am »
The Lexus looks like a bargain at $85k!

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:44:31 am »

I think the new Genesis is actually a better car overall.  Selling the Equus just got harder.

I haven't finished the article yet, but have enjoyed what I've read so far - well done written indeed.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 11:01:24 am »
Unfortunate that the 7 Series and A8 were not here. But yes it did feel like a slightly foregone conclusion.

The seats in that S-Class...holy :censor:!

+1. Too bad A8 and 7 were no-shows, though I'd guess they would have finished mid-pack or right behind the S-class.

Those S-seats do look insanely good. I also really dig the 2-spoke steering wheel; it seems to whisper, "I am not trying to be a sport sedan or a sport-luxury sedan; I am better than that - indeed, Old Sport, YOU are better than that. Now how about a hot stone massage?"

It's been 2+ years since the XJ has been out and I have to say, i'm still not sold on the looks. I applaud Ian Callum's team for taking such a dramatic departure from the traditional XJ look, but IMO the styling no longer evokes any Jaguar-ness. The interior, if only from photos, doesn't look all that great either - the virtual dials and chrome look chintzy, and the gear knob thing [still] looks silly. Granted, maybe seeing the interior in person would garner a different reaction.

For my money I think i'd have to go for the Range Rover. Versatility and visibility and, if I'm being totally honest, the cachet. But then I'd try to counteract the latter with some meaty BFG mud tires, perhaps a 'Roo bar (you're welcome, Jacob Black ;)) and a "Keep Honking, I'm Reloading" bumper sticker  ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:05:50 am by lebowski »

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 11:20:00 am »
Those S-seats do look insanely good. I also really dig the 2-spoke steering wheel; it seems to whisper, "I am not trying to be a sport sedan or a sport-luxury sedan; I am better than that - indeed, Old Sport, YOU are better than that. Now how about a hot stone massage?"

Yeah there is something appealing about that. The S-Class isn't trying to BE anything other than an S-Class. Its almost as if its defining characteristics are lost, yet the car is still so good.

Doesn't look as good as the Jag.
Doesn't handle as well as the Jag nor the Panamera.
Doesn't have the driving engagement of the Porsche or a 7 Series.
Doesn't have the value and reliability of the Lexus.
Doesn't have the gangster appeal of the Range Rover.
Doesn't have the modern techno-sophisticate vibe of the A8.

But it is the best at being an S-Class. Hopefully more than a little of the magic has been distilled  into the W205 C400.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 12:22:29 pm »
Wow....can't believe the Lexus did that poorly....but it seems that when it comes down to executive transport MB has it down to a science.
Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:25:12 pm »
S Class for the win is obvious.

You guys know that the Range Rover isn't a sedan right? It would win the SUV version of this test.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 02:35:59 pm »
There ain't no class like the S-Class.  There has always been something very special about the S-Class that even the 7-series or A8 can't quite match.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 02:50:08 pm »
There ain't no class like the S-Class.  There has always been something very special about the S-Class that even the 7-series or A8 can't quite match.

The special FGC flavour.  ;D
I've spoken to an S class owner who swore to never buy anything Merc again, after he was presented with a 20k repair bill for his just-out-of-warranty sedan. He also mentioned that the depreciation or the trade-in $$ offered was just brutal. 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 03:03:24 pm »
S Class for the win is obvious.

You guys know that the Range Rover isn't a sedan right? It would win the SUV version of this test.

Are you sure? Let me go check. :P

Hence the more encompassing title... Panamera isn't really a sedan either, and if anything, it might be less of a flagship than Range Rover, In my mind, 911 is the flagship, and the GT3 its halo car.

That off-road potential was noted, but let's be realistic - who here thinks that the majority of owners will use a Range Rover for anything that an S-Class can't also tackle?

Range Rover is also probably where I'd go if I was a gazillionaire. No question the S-Class is better in a lot of ways, and others might drive circles around it, but the Rangie could probably drive over most of the competition.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 03:30:59 pm »
In a way, it's good to be poor.  I don't have to make these decisions.     ;D
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
I would buy a Tesla Model S for $85k. Much better deal and a tremendous value comparatively.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 04:18:53 pm »
As always, I wrote cliff notes, and as always, you get to read them if you like.
Note time!
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
You know what, this car really was the best of the bunch. But there is
more to being an excellent car than just being excellent - the Mercedes
completely fails to ignite my passions the way the Jaguar did.
Having said that, the dash and user-interface is the single sexiest
infotainment system on the market - it's like Mercedes employed master
artists to build something spectacular. Mission accomplished.

Jaguar XJ 3.0 AWD
I'm writing this, so I shouldn't put notes. Besides, you know how I
feel about it already. Phwoar. I look at this car and feel the same way
I often feel about my wife....
She is going to murder me if she ever reads that....

Land Rover Range Rover S/C
What's that Lassie? Timmy is stuck down a well and only massive amounts
of POWER and TORQUE (grrr) can save him?! Never fear, Land Rover is here!
If all cars were nought but engines, this car would conquer all. Sadly,
you need some other things, like good handling, stability, decent
seats, ease of access to get to the top of the pile.
Still, I dare you not to smile like an imbecile when you stomp on the
loud pedal. In fact, I challenge you to go a week without needlessly
applying full throttle - just for the lolz. You can't.

Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
I was underwhelmed by the 4s, but in RWD, hybrid form the Panamera is
actually incredibly interesting. It handles beautifully, it supplies
excellent feedback, it is interesting and engaging. I can't tell if its
the hybrid powertrain or RWD that bring this car to life, but this car
is far better than the non-hybrid. What a shame they had to paint it by
pointing sick babies' bums at it.

Lexus LS 460 AWD
The Lexus is not for me. It is for someone, I believe that in my soul,
but not for me. It's an excellent car, a fun car, a comfortable car -
but it has all the emotional engagement of your average mashed potato.
It was the easiest for me to get loose on an offramp, but I can't quite
figure out if that's because the handling is wonderful, or flawed. It
breaks loose, but it's incredibly easy to catch, correct  - and even
hold loose if you so desire.
There is potential in this car. But it's untapped.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:23:11 pm by jyarkony »