Author Topic: DIY Transmission Fun  (Read 7376 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Transmission Fun
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 10:59:17 pm »
The following article always made me LOL

The above map is to scale. So is the shift pattern.

Disclaimer - I like this car. A lot. After a weekend, I can go through gears in this car easier than Elizabeth Taylor went through husbands. Too soon?

Lets take a run through the gears.

Gears one through four are tight together, much like they should be on a four-speed gearbox. Only fifth seems to be in a different orbit. It's like they just stuck fifth gear into a 'box where only four had been before.

So let's look at that map.

First is in Beverly Hills. Nice place. Second is in Rolling Hills Estates. It's a nice place too, but it's going to take a while to get there. Just be patient. Third is all the way the hell back up in Hollywood. Don't worry, if you learned anything from your trip from Beverly Hills down to Rolling Hills, the trip back up should be a lot quicker. Fourth... fourth is in San Pedro. It's next to Rolling Hills Estates, but if you're not careful, you're going wind up back in Rolling Hills Estates and you're gonna have a problem. Rolling Hills and San Pedro are solid three wood apart. And much like the two cities themselves, what you can do in San Pedro, you can't get away with in Rolling Hills.

Now for fifth.

Fifth is in Upland. It's a hell of a long way to go. Much like Upland, the first time you go there, you start to wonder if you've gone too far, only to wind up there after you thought you couldn't possibly go any further east. A little blip of the throttle ensures you drop it into gear without a second thought.

Now comes the hard part.

Our 911's shift linkage is not self centering; once you're in Upland, it wants to stay in Upland. To get it back into fourth takes an act of faith. Upland to San Pedro. Pick the wrong exit and you wind up in Rolling Hills; you're going to pay. This is how I get there. I pull it out of fifth, and throw the lever west until it hits the stop above second. From there, I move it east, barely, until I think I'm over fourth and with a blip, I drop it into gear. Another blip to match the revs I hope are correct and then I let the clutch out and listen. A spike means I've gone to far and I'm in second and I'm going to have explaining to do. No spike means I'm right where I want to be and I just mash the throttle and revel in some flat six sound - I can also breath again.

For me, the lack of a self centering shifter is the most difficult part about this gearbox. I'd love to say how difficult this 911 is to drive, with the hopes of scaring off the rest of the staff, but the fact is, I really dig this car. It take some adaptation, but if you care enough to learn its ways, it rewards you with things only an air cooled 911 can. I want more.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:02:23 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 11:17:19 pm »

Gears one through four are tight together, much like they should be on a four-speed gearbox. Only fifth seems to be in a different orbit. It's like they just stuck fifth gear into a 'box where only four had been before.

That's just what 5th is, it's stuck out front with reverse gear and uses the same shift rod. 
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 11:18:18 pm »

That's just what 5th is, it's stuck out front with reverse gear and uses the same shift rod.
Ever do the 5th to 2nd money shift? LOL

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:17 pm »

Yay, a win, managed to get a 15mm reamer down the hole that was damaged.  I don't think operation will be affected

Some parts are waiting at Kinek, I wonder if they are open tomorrow?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:45:26 pm by blur911 »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 06:46:18 pm »
That 5-4 shift is scary - any time I drove that trans I was worried about the 5-2 kaboom shift.  Ease the clutch out just a tiny bit, see where it's going.  My 69 had the 901, which wasn't as strong as the 915, but I liked the shifter better.  I know some 915 owners and they cope well with their cars, so if you use it on a regular basis, seems you adapt.  As someone driving someone else's car, it was worrisome to me.

I understand the 915 is much easier to DIY rebuild than the G50.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2018, 11:08:11 pm »
Just ordered a load of parts  :'(

Over $1400CAD on transmission internals at International Auto Parts Canada, which is in Florida.   Good prices on some items, but I've never used them before so we'll see how it all turns out.
 $527USD at Vertex,  ignition wires, main and pinion shaft nuts, valve cover gasket kit, T-304 test pipe,  mainshaft pilot bearing, and a few other bits. ( I waited them out for a -10% deal)
$211USD on a billet bearing retainer plate from Tarett Engineering.

Package came by mail today from IAP Canada.   So, $5 shipping.  No tax, no duties, delivered to my door.  :o
Other parts came to Kinex a couple of days ago, still have to pick them up and import them.

So far, Auto Parts Canada FTW.  https://iapcanada.com/

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 12:28:40 pm »
I think I understood like 4 words on this thread.  You, sirs, are impressing me.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 12:36:25 pm »
I heard Britney Spears crashed a very expensive rental car in Los Angeles when she accidentally shifted from 5th to 2nd at high speed. I think it was an Italian car, Lambo or Ferrari, but it was a long time ago.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 01:22:53 pm »
Didn't find the article but found an old forum thread. Downshift to 2nd gear at 85 mph.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/general-discussion-debate-40/britney-spears-crashes-ferrari-61472/

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 06:25:34 pm »
I need to do an update soon,  right now I'm waiting for parts, two clips actually.   
One was slightly damaged, as I noticed upon disassembly, so I didn't want to reuse.  Figured I might as well change both.  $12 each and somewhere in the mail between here and  Florida.
Pics to come

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2018, 09:06:14 pm »
Things are coming together, literally.  I did some of this at work a few weeks ago,

1st and 2nd gear with synchros as taken out.  (sorry, bad photo)
You can see the damage to the circlip on the top of the left gear and all the broken synchro hub teeth

Pressing on a new synchro hub, easy press after freezing the gear and heating the hub to 300f.

2nd gear with the circlip removed showing the brake band, energizer and stop block inside the synchronizer ring and the new ring and hub that are to be installed

New bits installed.  This is where I was delayed waiting for a new circlip to lock this together.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:12:05 pm by blur911 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 09:23:05 pm »
Here's where I replace a few more bits.

This is the input shaft, I'm replacing the ball bearing and the plate that holds it in tightly.  It has a 2-piece inner race

This is the new CMS one-piece retaining plate with the new bearing in it.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 09:25:41 pm by blur911 »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 10:47:34 pm »

Shafts assembled with the new plate.  All of the parts have to come off the pinion shaft and be put back on without turning anything around.  I heated the bearings inner races rather than use a hammer
The shafts have to be assembled in place as the plate holds them together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 10:51:31 pm »
Looking good.....

BTW...I have a leftover 911 oil filter kicking around.  You want it?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 10:54:38 pm »

Now I have to clean up the case for reassembly

New seal installed for the input shaft.

The fork and sleeve for the release bearing look ok

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2018, 10:56:01 pm »
Looking good.....

BTW...I have a leftover 911 oil filter kicking around.  You want it?

Probably not worth the shipping.  One of these days we'll run into each other, I'll get it then  ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »
Nice work blur. I’m happy when I get a set of brakes done.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2018, 11:01:51 pm »

All cleaned up ready for the gears and shafts.  The shim is very important and set by the factory for pinion depth.  It shouldn't change unless you change the pinion shaft or the case.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 11:12:49 pm »
Strong work.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2018, 12:34:33 pm »
Strong work.  Thanks for posting.
I agree!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....