Author Topic: The Cycling Thread  (Read 1072571 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2100 on: August 15, 2014, 05:11:53 pm »
Cool beans Snowy.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #2101 on: August 15, 2014, 08:46:25 pm »
Got my bike back. Not a peep from anything on the frame, drivetrain running smoother than any I've ever used, and the technician even painstakingly realigned my front wheel. The bike feels rock solid and looks clean as new. Can't wait to go riding this weekend!
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2102 on: August 15, 2014, 08:51:50 pm »
Got my bike back. Not a peep from anything on the frame, drivetrain running smoother than any I've ever used, and the technician even painstakingly realigned my front wheel. The bike feels rock solid and looks clean as new. Can't wait to go riding this weekend!

Excellent! After a week of noise free riding I noticed the same noise is back from my new replaced under warranty Shimano pedals  >:( time to upgrade I guess.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2103 on: August 16, 2014, 09:25:05 am »
my full suspension was creaking like mad last month and noticed the pivot bolts starting to loosen.
after some playing around I figured the bearings were shot and that was loosening the bolts. 

Brought the bike in to the shop.  4 new bearings, new bottom bracket, serviced the front fork and a new shifter cable.   Bike now rides like a dream!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: August 16, 2014, 10:18:59 am »
my full suspension was creaking like mad last month and noticed the pivot bolts starting to loosen.
after some playing around I figured the bearings were shot and that was loosening the bolts. 

Brought the bike in to the shop.  4 new bearings, new bottom bracket, serviced the front fork and a new shifter cable.   Bike now rides like a dream!

My bike runs a split pivot rear suspension and it turns out Devinci put the wrong bushing on the top of the shock, which was causing the frame to creak through its initial suspension travel. The Devinci rep was there and also mentioned I have the wrong front shock on my bike - the bike is supposed to come with a regular RockShox Pike, but as they were out of stock when mine was built, they put on the more expensive Pike RS with travel adjust. Works for me  ;D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #2105 on: August 16, 2014, 10:54:05 am »

My bike runs a split pivot rear suspension and it turns out Devinci put the wrong bushing on the top of the shock, which was causing the frame to creak through its initial suspension travel. The Devinci rep was there and also mentioned I have the wrong front shock on my bike - the bike is supposed to come with a regular RockShox Pike, but as they were out of stock when mine was built, they put on the more expensive Pike RS with travel adjust. Works for me  ;D

bonus on the fork!   bummer on the bushing though. 
I've seen a lot of people have to replace the bushing / bearings pretty early.  Not sure if some manufacturers are using really cheap stuff or what.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +49/-60
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: August 16, 2014, 11:18:58 am »
An interesting view on disc brakes on road bikes: http://youtu.be/xdWsSB9QGkY
Fiction is the lie through which we tell the truth

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2107 on: August 16, 2014, 12:52:37 pm »

Hmmm.  My hybrid has a quick release and the disc brakes are dead silent and I have never had an issue with misalignment causing the disc to rub on the caliper.

I definitely agree that modulation is a big plus on disc versus the rim brakes on my road bike.  If I had to do a full flaps emergency stop from high speed, there's no question I'd rather have the discs.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2108 on: August 16, 2014, 01:02:38 pm »

Did he really say there are NO CABLES on the bike?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: August 16, 2014, 01:03:52 pm »

He said it, but he couldn't have meant it - those brakes have hydraulic cables.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: August 16, 2014, 01:09:46 pm »

And as far as I know, Di2 isn't wireless yet either.

Would love to try out some hydraulic disc brakes on a road bike.  I could see my next commuter bikes getting them before my next road bike though.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: August 16, 2014, 03:06:03 pm »

Hmmm.  My hybrid has a quick release and the disc brakes are dead silent and I have never had an issue with misalignment causing the disc to rub on the caliper.

I definitely agree that modulation is a big plus on disc versus the rim brakes on my road bike.  If I had to do a full flaps emergency stop from high speed, there's no question I'd rather have the discs.

No alignment issues on my current bike either, and I remove the front wheel every single time I need to take it somewhere. That said, I do have a shim that I insert into the caliper when the wheel is off so that it doesn't clamp down on nothing should I accidentally press the lever.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
The Cycling Thread
« Reply #2112 on: August 16, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »
I'm just happy to HAVE brakes now!  New pads and a new tire have worked wonders. Had to ride today as my calf "went out" again only 4km into my morning run. After walking home, hopped on the bike and ripped up 24km of trails. Took a new route that has a close to 1500M flat/straight stretch and I managed to do a km of it in 2:02. Two seconds shy!  Admit I was a little white knuckled as the bend I found at the end is hidden by dense trees and is a VERY tight hairpin. Yay new brakes!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: August 16, 2014, 04:12:33 pm »
I'm just happy to HAVE brakes now!  New pads and a new tire have worked wonders. Had to ride today as my calf "went out" again only 4km into my morning run. After walking home, hopped on the bike and ripped up 24km of trails. Took a new route that has a close to 1500M flat/straight stretch and I managed to do a km of it in 2:02. Two seconds shy! Admit I was a little white knuckled as the bend I found at the end is hidden by dense trees and is a VERY tight hairpin. Yay new brakes!!

You should be doing Strava as I'm sure you would rank very well on many segments.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: August 16, 2014, 05:50:42 pm »
Threw a Go Pro on my helmet going across one of my favourite trails the other day to see how it would look. It's pretty shaky and gives no indication when the bike is airborne, so I think I need a better mounting location. Recommendations?

Watch in HD for least blurry results: http://youtu.be/mOH1Bxx78gU

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: August 16, 2014, 07:51:18 pm »
^^^ Nice!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2116 on: August 16, 2014, 09:58:16 pm »
Threw a Go Pro on my helmet going across one of my favourite trails the other day to see how it would look. It's pretty shaky and gives no indication when the bike is airborne, so I think I need a better mounting location. Recommendations?

:thumbup: :thumbup: okay...like we need to go for a ride.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: August 17, 2014, 01:36:26 am »

And as far as I know, Di2 isn't wireless yet either.

Would love to try out some hydraulic disc brakes on a road bike.  I could see my next commuter bikes getting them before my next road bike though.

He did indeed say that, but he must have meant steel cables. He was talking about cables in the context of maintenance, which Di2 and hydraulic brake lines don't require.

As a fair weather rider living in a flat country, I don't think I'll be rushing to switch my bike to one with disc brakes. That said, I can see the benefits and there's a good chance my next bike will have them, depending on how long I'll keep my current bike.

Offline huota

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: August 17, 2014, 01:43:03 am »

:thumbup: Nice trails, whereabouts are they? I think chest mount would be your best option.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: August 17, 2014, 08:27:09 am »

:thumbup: Nice trails, whereabouts are they? I think chest mount would be your best option.

That particular trail network is up in North Bay, Ontario. In a few minutes I'm off to ride Glen Major and the Walker Woods northeast of Toronto: http://maps.gotwisted.com/wwlong.pdf

:thumbup: :thumbup: okay...like we need to go for a ride.

Snowy, you're welcome to join any time! I'll let you know next time I'm coming out to Milton to ride Kelso, but Durham Forest/Glen Major/Walker Woods are definitely worth a drive out to this end of the city.