Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i  (Read 11542 times)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 BMW X3 xDrive35i
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 11:44:35 am »
I hate it how BMW charges $800 for metallic paint.  ::)

Ya, WTF? Kia only charges $150!
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 11:51:05 am »

Well, paint should be included in the price for all vehicles. :)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 01:28:26 pm »

Well, paint should be included in the price for all vehicles. :)

Well, the paint is, the metallic specks in it aren't :)

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »
Nice CUV, way too pricey for my liking.  Prefer the cheap mans version Kia Sportage SX. Similar size power and times for alot less cash. It may not have the fancy nameplate, but that's just perceived value.

It seems interesting that the luxury nameplates are touted for having little niceties whereas the lower class brethren don't get similar satisfaction.

Cheers
Woody

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:16 pm »
Very tasty vehicle, but definatley out of my snack bracket.
My pet peeve again! Who the hell officially comes up with these fuel economy figures.
7.7L/100km is "poo poo el toro"!!  This bimmer couldn't those results going downhill with a tail wind.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 03:32:04 pm »
My pet peeve again! Who the hell officially comes up with these fuel economy figures.
7.7L/100km is "poo poo el toro"!!  This bimmer couldn't those results going downhill with a tail wind.

Another armchair comment made with nothing to back it up. In fact, I achieved these type of fuel economy on purely hiwiay sections on my recent trip to S.Cal and back. Overall, including 2 months of urban driving, I did 10.6l/100.

For those that would buy a much cheaper Mazda CX5 over this car, be my guest. If you think they are equal based on cargo room, etc; then I have a nice Chevy to sell you which is the same size as a Porsche - therefore they must be comparable. Why would anyone buy a Porsche...??? ::) ::)
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 03:41:02 pm »

Another armchair comment made with nothing to back it up. In fact, I achieved these type of fuel economy on purely hiwiay sections on my recent trip to S.Cal and back. Overall, including 2 months of urban driving, I did 10.6l/100.

For those that would buy a much cheaper Mazda CX5 over this car, be my guest. If you think they are equal based on cargo room, etc; then I have a nice Chevy to sell you which is the same size as a Porsche - therefore they must be comparable. Why would anyone buy a Porsche...??? ::) ::)
Because their son is a Porsche mechanic and needs the work  ;D :run:

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:06:07 pm »

Hmmmm, Is it not mainly downhill from Kelowna to Vancouver ?? ;)

nsmyhte

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 05:28:11 pm »

The Transport Canada fuel economy test is indeed pretty worthless.  The test drive is very unrealistic and in order to get the highway number, the car doesn't even go 100km/h.  They put the car to 96km/h at get a reading.  The US EPA test is a much better and realistic test.  So when I'm going 125km/h on the highway (a pretty normal speed in the GTA and especially on the 407), I don't get anywhere near the fuel economy rating from Trans Can.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »

I think I brought up the topic, never said they were equal except similar in basic layout, size, and the fact that both are marketed as fun to drive vehicles. That's not my opinion of either, just the marketing. For the price difference they should be extremely different but my question was whether that was indeed the case.

Didn't mean to disparage your Beemer and your long history of ownership. "Why would anyone buy a Porsche...???" Well, I think probably at least 1 in 4 buy them because they're great driving machines  :) :)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 06:23:33 pm »

I think I brought up the topic, never said they were equal except similar in basic layout, size, and the fact that both are marketed as fun to drive vehicles. That's not my opinion of either, just the marketing. For the price difference they should be extremely different but my question was whether that was indeed the case.

Didn't mean to disparage your Beemer and your long history of ownership. "Why would anyone buy a Porsche...???" Well, I think probably at least 1 in 4 buy them because they're great driving machines  :) :)

Re the Porsche comment - you miss my point entirely.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 08:37:43 pm »
I just object to that $800 on principle although I paid it on mine.     Personally I would prefer to go back to plain, non-metallic, colours but with a modern clearcoat of course for durability.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2012, 08:43:40 am »
Nice CUV, way too pricey for my liking.  Prefer the cheap mans version Kia Sportage SX. Similar size power and times for alot less cash. It may not have the fancy nameplate, but that's just perceived value.

It seems interesting that the luxury nameplates are touted for having little niceties whereas the lower class brethren don't get similar satisfaction.

I hear ya and IMO the Outlander with S-AWC is the closest to the BMW in performance and capability with a squint or two in straight line acceleration. But the lower castes don't have the panache of the upper echelons like BMW. An interesting dilemna is a used X3 vs a new Sportage or Outlander. The maintenance costs of the BMW would still steer me towards the newer vehicle but still, a part of me is willing to pay the extra $ for the panache.

I really like the X3 even though I didn't want to. Too bad I'm in a lower caste.  :'(

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2012, 08:53:29 am »
I don't thing cars can have castes but people can.  Cars can have class as can people.   Caste implies that you ( or the car manufacturer) are stuck at that level until eternity.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 09:06:02 am »
I don't thing cars can have castes but people can.  Cars can have class as can people.   Caste implies that you ( or the car manufacturer) are stuck at that level until eternity.

Hmmm, I disagree. Cobalt/Cavalier. Dodge. I could go on but I don't see either of those examples moving out of their market perceptions in the short, medium or long term. Ok maybe eternity is a bit long but I think you get my drift.

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 03:01:20 pm »
Base price: $46,900
Options: $14,500 (Executive Package $2,300, M Sport Package $2,900, Technology Package $2,200, Premium Package $4,000, BMW Apps Package $300, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails $150, Storage Compartment Package $350, Metallic Paint $800, Head-Up Display $1,500)
A/C tax: $100
Freight: $1,995
Price as tested: $63,495

Good lord those options are expensive! :-\

The Germans love expensive options!

Fixed that for you, Mike.
I used to work here.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 05:31:59 pm »
I think over $60K for something this size of a Santa Fe is ridiculous, I dont care what engine its got. You can get a proper suv for that kind of money. Again, buy what you want, but something that costs that much better carry 7 people and tow 6k lbs + for me. Now if you wanted to spend $60K for a toy, sports car and such, awesome, a CUV.....uhhh, Ill take a Santa Fe and have $25k for quads and some vacations thanks  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 06:07:17 pm »
I think over $60K for something this size of a Santa Fe is ridiculous, I dont care what engine its got. You can get a proper suv for that kind of money. Again, buy what you want, but something that costs that much better carry 7 people and tow 6k lbs + for me. Now if you wanted to spend $60K for a toy, sports car and such, awesome, a CUV.....uhhh, Ill take a Santa Fe and have $25k for quads and some vacations thanks  ;D
I comes down to what you think is good value
my truck listed at $49gs, bad value, getting for $32gs good value
also it depends on disposable income, in a good year , a lot of things are value, in a. Bad year nothing is good value

;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:49 pm »
I comes down to what you think is good value
my truck listed at $49gs, bad value, getting for $32gs good value
also it depends on disposable income, in a good year , a lot of things are value, in a. Bad year nothing is good value

;D

Amen!...It's all relative
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 07:42:18 pm »

Whatever floats your boat - I think quads are about the dumbest thing one can spend money on.  ::)