Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Lexus GS  (Read 8390 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: First Drive: 2013 Lexus GS
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 05:12:32 pm »
I had an Intrigue courtesy car for a week... LOL is all I gotta say. I felt like a 70 year old driving that thing. No offense, it wasn't a bad car but to compare it to a GS is like well... I won't repeat what others have said.

Side note, they used to hold Autocrosses at the old King Edward Park & Ride?

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 05:57:14 pm »
I for one welcome the comparison to the Olds Intrigue. It's totally logical. In the same vein, I'm cross-shopping a Lotus Elise and the Nissan Murano convertible. They're both convertibles sold in small numbers - so it's pretty much an apples/apples comparison. It'll come down to whichever one does better in the parking lot autocross (stand by for flickr corroboration…)  :rofl2:

BTW I think Lexus pretty much nailed it with the new GS. I'm a little lukewarm on the -errr- "expressive" grille, but that interior looks beautiful. It reminds me of the interior of a Mercedes SLS or the new SL - neither a bad benchmark.
I'm impressed with the response the Intrigue has generated. I purchased it for a specific reason 11 years ago and if shopping for a car today would dismiss it and its GM - Ford - Chrysler - Toyota- Honda -Nissan  BMW - Mercedes and Hyundai equivalents although all make excellent similar models. I enjoy seeing where people are coming from and as for my Flickr links my automotive links are by far the most traffic generating so people do like to look. Keep up the Canadian interest Autos.ca, always an interesting read

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 06:04:52 pm »
I had an Intrigue courtesy car for a week... LOL is all I gotta say. I felt like a 70 year old driving that thing. No offense, it wasn't a bad car but to compare it to a GS is like well... I won't repeat what others have said.

Side note, they used to hold Autocross at the old King Edward Park & Ride?
The Intrigue is at its best as  cross country cruiser

Slaloms / autocross were indeed held at the Park & Ride, now at the Scott Road lot

http://youtu.be/iugxUZvIH7A

The Passat TDI has my eye as well, but on sitting in one equipped with a sunroof my head made contact with the ceiling, otherwise very impressive

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:07:47 pm by D70 »

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 06:05:34 pm »
I think the GS is a very good looking car and the grill is beginning to grow on me. As someone else has said at least it's no Acura! ;D  Where I'm not as much of a fan is the interior. The acres of wishy-washy looking blonde wood remind me of  Danish Modern interior design from 1963. Hopefully there are other options for the interior trim?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:17 pm »
... and as for my Flickr links my automotive links are by far the most traffic generating so people do like to look. Keep up the Canadian interest Autos.ca, always an interesting read[/color]
people look because you slap a link on about 75% of your posts...i could post anonymous links on my posts and gather all kinds of traffic as well, but i don't think the mods would approve of my sense of humour in here. :rofl:
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »
OK so the new GS has caught the attention of a few car nuts. I wonder if the redesign will suceed? Hasn't Lexus been down this path with the GS before only to soften it once the sales #'s didn't materialize?

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 08:14:14 pm »
... and as for my Flickr links my automotive links are by far the most traffic generating so people do like to look. Keep up the Canadian interest Autos.ca, always an interesting read[/color]
people look because you slap a link on about 75% of your posts...i could post anonymous links on my posts and gather all kinds of traffic as well, but i don't think the mods would approve of my sense of humour in here. :rofl:

+1

D70, my guess is you've misinterpreted the visitor traffic to your flickr account. More than once I've clicked on your flickr links thinking, foolishly, they'll lead to something related to the thread in which you've posted, but more often than not it's yet another inexplicable glamour shot of your Miata. Look, it's only a 3-second detour, but it's a detour just the same. Really, man, we get it: you really like your Miata and your Intrigue. In the meantime, try to not make every post about your own car(s) - there are other forums for that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:19 pm »
Was at the dealer today.  All GS they had come in sold almost as fast.  And this is Windsor..land of the Domestic.  Even had a nice graphite F Sport one there...sold.

Was there to find out when their LF-A is coming in!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »

+1

D70, my guess is you've misinterpreted the visitor traffic to your flickr account. More than once I've clicked on your flickr links thinking, foolishly, they'll lead to something related to the thread in which you've posted, but more often than not it's yet another inexplicable glamour shot of your Miata. Look, it's only a 3-second detour, but it's a detour just the same. Really, man, we get it: you really like your Miata and your Intrigue. In the meantime, try to not make every post about your own car(s) - there are other forums for that.

+1
"try to not make every post about your own car(s) - there are other forums for that"
Well. there's a mirror in every household now, isn't there? No need for another forum.

Back on topic, LOVE this new lexus. Love the exterior - polarizing enough to draw attention but not offensive enough to make anyone  :hurl: The interior looks a bit "retro" to me (just the impression from the pics) but it may be my visual impression and it may look different in person.
This car would definitely make me stop and take a long second look before I go to a German dealership. Probably won't be able to afford one but if the new and upcoming ES is close to the GS in terms of performance and design, it could well be my next car.

Anyone know if the ES review is coming up soon?

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 11:10:03 pm »
Just to add to the previous post, I can see some cues borrowed from the German rivals but it's still distinctly Lexus like, more "inviting" and "soothing" than "engaging" in a teutonic fashion.

Offline 5 Wheel Drive

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +88/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: My Mazda fleet: 2014 CX9 GS, 2013 Mazda 3 GX, 1997 Miata
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 10:16:18 am »
Got to have a look at the new GS at the Toronto Auto show.  Very nice!  I think the exterior is very well done.  Much sharper than the previous one.   I like the new grill treatment.  Different enough without being as shocking as Acura's.  The interior, for me anyway, is a toss-up between this and the Infiniti M. 
"This is no Playstation, this.  There is no reset button if you get it wrong.  You just go through the pearly gates...on fire!"   -Jeremy Clarkson