Author Topic: New old truck  (Read 5405 times)

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
New old truck
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:59:12 pm »
So I got a truck to haul the race bike around in. Bought it from my uncle in law, was one of his company's work truck.
It's an old duck:

2008 Ford F-150, 4.6L V8, RWD, extended cab, 6.5" box.
She's pretty clean, except for two places where the paint is straight up peeled off - passenger door handle, and driver's side behind the front tire. If I can be arsed, I'll take it to a body shop sometime soon.
I put one of those Chinese android double-din head units in it because the radio was borked, and that came with a back-up camera, very handy.
I'll post photos of that later.
For now, here's my truck!
#truck
TRUCK!
I like trucks.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:01:10 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: New old truck
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:03:29 pm »
Look good!

No picture of the bike chock in the bed?  COME ONE MAN!!   :rofl2: :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 09:08:48 pm »
Look good!

No picture of the bike chock in the bed?  COME ONE MAN!!   :rofl2: :rofl:

Ha! Not installed yet. Soon though.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:12:12 pm »
Nice !
 :fiver:
You also have some black stuff on the front bumper
A little elbow grease will clean that up  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 09:15:22 pm »
Nice !

Yea...good thing he blocked out the license plate from us.

I mean...with a Kawasaki Ninja strapped in the back, we'd never guess it's him!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 11:00:56 am »
Nice !

Yea...good thing he blocked out the license plate from us.

I mean...with a Kawasaki Ninja strapped in the back, we'd never guess it's him!   :rofl: :rofl2:

...and it's a black truck ;)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:25 am »
Awesome, I think every man needs a truck...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 12:11:53 pm »
Nice! 

But I don't think a 10 year old truck can be considered an "old truck".  Mine's an '01 with almost 300k km.  That's starting to get old
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:31:10 pm »
Nice! 

But I don't think a 10 year old truck can be considered an "old truck".  Mine's an '01 with almost 300k km.  That's starting to get old

Yeah, thought it was kind of "middle-aged"  compared to my 2002 Silverado. 

Kids today. ::)

...nice truck though  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1071
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 01:32:50 pm »
That's great truck for bike hauling. 4.6 wouldn't have been my choice, but given that it was bought from family I'd be fine with it. My dad had an 05 (I think...this generation for sure) as a company vehicle for a few months, crew cab, and I remember being really impressed with the ride and interior space at the time.

My Fil has a similar, 09 (next gen) crew cab, well optioned XLT, with the same 4.6. His has low kms (<100K) and he's started casually looking for a replacement (CUV for easier entry/exit for Mil), so I've already called dibs.  :P

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 01:43:54 pm »
Congratulations! You've gone local!  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 04:25:44 pm »
 :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
Looks good!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 06:40:11 pm »
Looks good. I'd quibble with your definition old. For me for something to be old it has to be a little bit older than me. So a fuzzy, rolling standard.

Rare to see a semi-recent truck that isn't a four door monster here.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 06:58:26 pm »
That's great truck for bike hauling. 4.6 wouldn't have been my choice, but given that it was bought from family I'd be fine with it. My dad had an 05 (I think...this generation for sure) as a company vehicle for a few months, crew cab, and I remember being really impressed with the ride and interior space at the time.

My Fil has a similar, 09 (next gen) crew cab, well optioned XLT, with the same 4.6. His has low kms (<100K) and he's started casually looking for a replacement (CUV for easier entry/exit for Mil), so I've already called dibs.  :P

That's hilarious.  Where you going to put it?  Or what are you going to sell to make room for it?  Are you sure that I shouldn't buy it for Lawns by Scottie.  You can have it whenever you want!   ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 07:48:38 pm »

That's hilarious.  Where you going to put it?  Or what are you going to sell to make room for it?  Are you sure that I shouldn't buy it for Lawns by Scottie.  You can have it whenever you want!   ;D

Iunno, this guy is not a quick decision maker, so it'll probably be a year before anything happens. A deal on a truck is a deal on a truck; if I don't have space or a use for it, then I'll just sell it to some guy with a lawn business  :P

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 08:30:48 pm »
Nice trucks, I used to drive one for work, covered the southern end of Alberta with it.

The only thing to really watch for is changing plugs on the Triton:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ford_tsb_08-7-6.pdf

Lisle has a good tool to help if one breaks, and I think Ford has a one-piece plug now that solves the problem

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 08:50:23 pm »
Nice trucks, I used to drive one for work, covered the southern end of Alberta with it.

Lisle has a good tool to help if one breaks, and I think Ford has a one-piece plug now that solves the problem

Yep. These trucks were extremely common during my time in the shop (late 2000's) and that was a nitemare job; some guys would refuse to do them entirely. Better tools, and the new single piece plugs make it better now, but it is still an issue. A good friend of mine (and a former Tech) recently lost the engine in his V8 (4.6) equipped Explorer thanks to this issue just a couple months ago....Short story; he did the plugs, one was seized, but he battled it and got it out with minimal damage to the threads (or so he thought). Few hundred kms later the new plug blew right outta the block. At that point it was easier to swap in a JY motor than it was to repair the old.

If/when I own one of these; I'd only get the plugs done by someone very well versed on these particular engines. Beyond that, and a couple other less serve annoyances (fuel pump module, steering column, 4WD actuators) these are pretty solid. 

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 09:13:55 pm »

Yep. These trucks were extremely common during my time in the shop (late 2000's) and that was a nitemare job; some guys would refuse to do them entirely. Better tools, and the new single piece plugs make it better now, but it is still an issue. A good friend of mine (and a former Tech) recently lost the engine in his V8 (4.6) equipped Explorer thanks to this issue just a couple months ago....Short story; he did the plugs, one was seized, but he battled it and got it out with minimal damage to the threads (or so he thought). Few hundred kms later the new plug blew right outta the block. At that point it was easier to swap in a JY motor than it was to repair the old.

If/when I own one of these; I'd only get the plugs done by someone very well versed on these particular engines. Beyond that, and a couple other less serve annoyances (fuel pump module, steering column, 4WD actuators) these are pretty solid.

The 4.6 was hard on exhaust manifolds as well.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 10:10:16 pm »

Lucky for me my FIL has the 5.0 V8.  It's a 2011 or 2012.  But when he trades it in, he says I have the option to buy it from him.  We will see.  I know it's dealer serviced.  And mostly highway km.  Just hope it's within 2 years.  I suspect it will be.  They don't usually keep vehicles longer than 6 years.