Author Topic: Chevrolet Debuts Cruze Diesel in Chicago  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Chevrolet Debuts Cruze Diesel in Chicago
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:50:21 am »

Chevrolet is entering the U.S. and Canadian diesel car markets this summer with a 2.0L turbo-diesel version of itssmall sedan, the Cruze, featuring the cleanest diesel passenger car engine General Motors has ever produced.
Read More...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet Debuts Cruze Diesel in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:32 am »
Finally!!

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:33 am »
Will be interesting to see what the take rate is with these and the Mazda 6 diesel once it shows up.

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 09:18:24 am »
Will be interesting to see what the take rate is with these and the Mazda 6 diesel once it shows up.

Am expecting a re-rationalization of VW's TDi pricing strategy PDQ.
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 09:31:07 am »
hmm 42mpg Highway seems on the low end for a diesel to me, maybe the gearing ?

As far as price. It's all about price differential for the average consumer. How much over and above to justify the diesel vs gas version.
Diesel up charges are still to high in N/A vs the rest of the world for most users to make the move, unless you do heavy km.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:11:54 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 09:54:48 am »

Chevrolet is entering the U.S. and Canadian diesel car markets this summer with a 2.0L turbo-diesel version of itssmall sedan, the Cruze, featuring the cleanest diesel passenger car engine General Motors has ever produced.
Read More...

Based on the specs, is the Cruze diesel going to be based on the LT trim? LTZ trim?  as it says leather appointed seating? aero package?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:52 am »
Saw the diesel comes with 2 years of maintenance... probably US only though?
Is this a new engine or has it been been is use elsewhere in the world?

Nevermind.  Found this:

Cruze's 2.0L turbo-diesel is based on proven architecture already used in European models, where approximately 40 percent of all Cruze models sold feature a diesel engine. Collaborating with Italian and German engineering groups, GM's diesel experts in the United States adapted the engine to accommodate more stringent diesel emission standards and a wider range of driving conditions – including colder climates and higher altitudes – for the United States and Canada.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:48:32 am by Weexy »

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:48:04 am »

As far as price. It's all about price differential for the average consumer. How much over and above to justify the diesel vs gas version.
Diesel up charges are still to high in N/A vs the rest of the world for most users to make the move, unless you do heavy km.

Is this 42 US mpg?  But really I dont think it's low, looking at Fuelly people are in the 30's avg with hybrids!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 11:21:02 am »

Is this 42 US mpg?  But really I dont think it's low, looking at Fuelly people are in the 30's avg with hybrids!

Check this out http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/02/report-all-of-europes-15-most-fuel-efficient-cars-get-better-t/

Smaller engines may account for the discrepancy but still quite off.

Here's a report by the U.S> gov't :http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42666.pdf

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 11:31:17 am »
I'm very curious to see how all these new diesel cars sell and if they will take sales away from hybrids. I'm not convinced that success is a sure thing. Consumers have to be willing to pay a premium over gas engines, many of which get very good mileage already. Then the have to decide against a hybrid and then believe that diesel tech is actually ok for the environment, will operate in the Canadian climate, they have to be willing to pay more for diesel and that their teenagers won't put gas in the tank by mistake.

I'm not saying small diesel cars are doomed in North America...I'm just not sure how they'll do. If they do sell well, I bet hybrids lose share.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 02:53:21 pm »

Its probably U.S. Gals. which puts it very close to my VW TDI that averages between 5.6- 6.0 L/100km = 50- 46.8 mpg (imp)

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 03:00:18 pm »
I'm very curious to see how all these new diesel cars sell and if they will take sales away from hybrids. I'm not convinced that success is a sure thing. Consumers have to be willing to pay a premium over gas engines, many of which get very good mileage already. Then the have to decide against a hybrid and then believe that diesel tech is actually ok for the environment, will operate in the Canadian climate, they have to be willing to pay more for diesel and that their teenagers won't put gas in the tank by mistake.

I'm not saying small diesel cars are doomed in North America...I'm just not sure how they'll do. If they do sell well, I bet hybrids lose share.

I would be a diesel buyer, now we have options with 2 functional headlights ;D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 03:12:48 pm »
Automatic only, pass...

The Jetta TDI is also rated 42mpg.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:39 pm »
Automatic only, pass...

Volkswagen is offering the new Golf 4MOTION in Europe in three levels (Trendline, Comfortline, Highline) and with two turbo diesel engines. The Golf 1.6 TDI 4MOTION BlueMotion Technology delivers 77 kW/105 PS and consumes 4.5 liters per 100km (52.3 mpg US). The Golf 2.0 TDI 4MOTION BlueMotion Technology delivers 110 kW / 150 PS with fuel consumption of 4.7 liters per 100km (50 mpg US). The new model consumes 0.8 liters or 15% less fuel than the current Golf 4MOTION delivering 150 PS.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 04:40:52 pm »
Automatic only, pass...

Volkswagen is offering the new Golf 4MOTION in Europe in three levels (Trendline, Comfortline, Highline) and with two turbo diesel engines. The Golf 1.6 TDI 4MOTION BlueMotion Technology delivers 77 kW/105 PS and consumes 4.5 liters per 100km (52.3 mpg US). The Golf 2.0 TDI 4MOTION BlueMotion Technology delivers 110 kW / 150 PS with fuel consumption of 4.7 liters per 100km (50 mpg US). The new model consumes 0.8 liters or 15% less fuel than the current Golf 4MOTION delivering 150 PS.

The thing is that those numbers are based on European test cycle and not EPA or TC tests which tend to report higher consumption than the European test.  Still, pretty kick ass for an AWD diesel car.

As an aside - there's a lot of motion going on there.  I vote they rename if Blue4motion or 4BlueMotion.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 11:53:29 pm »

Am expecting a re-rationalization of VW's TDi pricing strategy PDQ.

I am expecting the Cruze diesel to be more expensive than Jetta TDI and Mazda 6 diesel to be more expensive than Passat TDI

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:58:05 am »
Some overdue competition for VW in the low-end Diesel market is finally arriving courtesy of Chevy and Mazda.

Since half the VW Diesels I see are hatchbacks or wagons I wonder if sales of the Cruze and 6 sedans will really tap into the core of the 'sensible shoes' Diesel market.

Let's hope these additions attracts far more competition to the field. As everybody is selling very high mpg
Diesels in other markets.

On the other hand, in may not be a bad idea to let manufacturers work the bugs out of the new low emission Diesels in Europe before bringing them to our market.