Author Topic: Wrangled a ride in a 1LE SS today, and a very short drive  (Read 1863 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Wrangled a ride in a 1LE SS today, and a very short drive
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:46:21 pm »
There's a guy with a blue 1LE SS that I see all the time now.  Turns out his ex lives a couple blocks from me, so he's back and forth with his daughter all the time.

I was out on my bike today, and saw him about to drive away, so I stopped to say hi.

"Got some time?  Want to come for a ride?"

Do bears shite in the woods?  YES.

He left me have one quick turn driving, just up one off-ramp, and being I don't know him well, I went VERY carefully.

As a passenger:

The car rides a lot better than something that handles like this should.  The ride is much more compliant that I thought especially given the giant tires.  Kudos to GM.

It pulls HARD.  It doesn't give you quite the same sense of ferocity as the GT-R, but damned close.  I'd love to feel a full-on pull in a ZL-1 or Z-06 - those must truly push your belt buckle against your spine.

The interior is maybe not as nice as some of the Germans, but 1000x better than the previous car.  It's even a nice place to ride shotgun.  The seats are comfy and supportive.  The suede materials are very nice.

The visibility, or lack of, is intimidating the first time you're in the car, no doubt about it.  The owner is used to it, and the mirrors work very well in capturing blind spots.  As a first time passenger you really feel like you've got no idea of what's going on around you, then the front view blurs and poof, you're gone to another place in time and space.

A 5-min driving impression, done WAY WAY below the limits of the car:

The manual is way better than you'd expect from GM and bolted to a massive V-8.  Beefy transmissions often shift poorly, this one goes "snick snick."  Nice.

I expected the giant front tires to follow every groove - there is some tramlining, but not much.

The part I can't get over is the ride quality.  I expected my teeth to be knocked out over every little imperfection.  Not even close.  I'd happily take the Camaro on a long road trip.  It rides much nicer than my Miata AND corners much flatter.  Progress marches on.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
Re: Wrangled a ride in a 1LE SS today, and a very short drive
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 08:54:16 pm »

The part I can't get over is the ride quality.

Magnetic Ride Control FTW...you know, the same type of suspension the GM slaps were making fun of the GT-R (and such) for having.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
^^^ Well, it's fookin' awesome.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:34 pm »
^^^ Well, it's fookin' awesome.

It is.

But I remember the GM ding dongs talking crap about it in other cars...oh..and automatic rev matching and blips in manual cars too.  Now?  AWESOME!!   ::)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12340
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:00:39 pm »
Cool beans. Thanks for the report. I'd love a spin on one of these beasties.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 10:12:41 pm »

Magnetic Ride Control FTW...you know, the same type of suspension the GM slaps were making fun of the GT-R (and such) for having.

Seems an odd thing for a GM fan to do since it was first used in the Cadillac STS from the early 2000s and has been used in Corvettes for years.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:14:16 pm by Cord »
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:14:39 pm »

Seems an odd thing for a GM fan to do since it was first used in the Cadillac STS from the early 2000s.

I'm specifically referring to it in their sports cars...particularly the Corvette.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:02 pm »
^^ I was under the impression GM pioneered it.

Sorta.  Bose did the big work for it back in the 80s.  They even tested it with Toyota...and it was rumored that they had considered putting it on the LS400 from the factory (Bose tested the system on the LS400).

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 10:21:04 pm »

Seems an odd thing for a GM fan to do since it was first used in the Cadillac STS from the early 2000s.

I'm specifically referring to it in their sports cars...particularly the Corvette.

Wasn't it in the Corvette 5 years before the GT-R came out?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 10:24:57 pm »

Wasn't it in the Corvette 5 years before the GT-R came out?

It was optional as early as 2003(ish) IIRC.  And at this point it was little more that "adjustable suspension"....to give the car a firmer/softer feel...much like adjustable shocks in luxury cars.

But nowhere as good as it was when it came in the C6.....light years ahead and a truly integrated performance system.  A big part of the reason a Camaro is such a deadly track weapon now.

FWIW..while we're on the topic...didn't Porsche have magnetic engine mounts in one of the 911 Turbos??

Ask Vmango...he knows what I'm talking about.  We've visited the same GM forums on occasion.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:31:52 pm by rrocket »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 10:37:59 pm »

I must be the only guy who doesn't feel like the visibility is that bad. Let me be be clear, it's bad, but I never thought much about it. Even when I test drove  the green one before buying I felt immediately comfortable in the car.

I found that as a passenger, the mirrors did nothing for me, so immediately, I felt quite "shut in."  When I was driving, it was far better thanks to the mirrors actually showing me what was going on around me.  Even during my short drive, I didn't find it an issue, but as a first-time passenger, it took me by surprise.

And I don't know what setting the shocks were on.  I was just happy to be in the car!!

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +99/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 11:52:07 pm »
GM should offer it's new trick rear view camera system to help out the visibility. THIS is the car it should be in.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 08:45:41 am »
I believe he's referring to this one:
https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/223560-feds-ok-cadillacs-high-res-lcd-rear-view-mirror

Uses the camera as a rear view mirror instead of you actually using a mirror...probably affords a better overall field of vision out the rear. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 11:21:53 am »
That would be good, actually.

I don't get it, what do you care what's behind you while you driving the beast  ???  ;D

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 11:25:13 am »
That would be good, actually.

I don't get it, what do you care what's behind you while you driving the beast  ???  ;D

Flashing red and blue lights  :rofl2: