Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2327400 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #7780 on: November 30, 2017, 11:35:15 am »
My daughters choir class (80 students), and another choir class from another private school (40 students), had a concert at the school today.  I volunteered (first time for me, in organizing).  At the end of the performance, she came to me and started to cry.  She was upset her Mom couldn't make the concert, they had been practicing together since September.  School has a designated photographer that took a few photos.  But no outside photos or videos allowed.  I miss the good old days. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: November 30, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »
Working on expanding my outdoor tool collection for the 2018 season.  Got my Dewalt Max 20V weedeater, and recip saw, both look great.  Was browsing kijiji, nice Stihl pole saw for sale.  1 year old,  with hard hat, ear protection, face make, extra chain, oil, half the price of a new one, about 20 min away.  Called her up.  She says someone is coming Saturday to look at it.  I asked her if I can come and buy it today, sorry he called first she says. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7782 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:41 pm »
Working on expanding my outdoor tool collection for the 2018 season.  Got my Dewalt Max 20V weedeater, and recip saw, both look great.  Was browsing kijiji, nice Stihl pole saw for sale.  1 year old,  with hard hat, ear protection, face make, extra chain, oil, half the price of a new one, about 20 min away.  Called her up.  She says someone is coming Saturday to look at it.  I asked her if I can come and buy it today, sorry he called first she says.

That is unfortunate for her.  I've learned when selling on Kijiji, to NEVER turn anybody down just because 'somebody else called first'.  An item is never sold until you have money in hand.  Waay too many people say they're interested and that they'll 'show up on the weekend', and then just don't.  In the meantime, you've lost potential sales from turning people away.

The rule (or at least MY rule) is that the first person who actually gets down and hands money over is the one who gets it.  NOT just the first person who calls and expresses interest.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7783 on: November 30, 2017, 05:03:57 pm »

That is unfortunate for her.  I've learned when selling on Kijiji, to NEVER turn anybody down just because 'somebody else called first'.  An item is never sold until you have money in hand.  Waay too many people say they're interested and that they'll 'show up on the weekend', and then just don't.  In the meantime, you've lost potential sales from turning people away.

The rule (or at least MY rule) is that the first person who actually gets down and hands money over is the one who gets it.  NOT just the first person who calls and expresses interest.

I actually had a girl get really angry with me about that a when I sold my old winter wheels and tires on kijiji in September.  She replied to the ad saying she wanted them and would be over at 6:30PM, then a guy replied just before 5PM and said he would be over right away, and he arrived in a few minutes and gave me exactly what I was asking.  Sold!

I immediately replied back to her about it and she got really nasty.   :P

Nice score on the pole saw Solstice.   :thumbup: I could really use that around my yard and will be looking for one in the spring.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 05:05:38 pm by KD »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: November 30, 2017, 05:21:18 pm »

I actually had a girl get really angry with me about that a when I sold my old winter wheels and tires on kijiji in September.  She replied to the ad saying she wanted them and would be over at 6:30PM, then a guy replied just before 5PM and said he would be over right away, and he arrived in a few minutes and gave me exactly what I was asking.  Sold!

Nice score on the pole saw Solstice.   :thumbup: I could really use that around my yard and will be looking for one in the spring.

Thanks KD,  but I didn't get it.  As someone else called ahead.  Maybe I will get lucky, and he wont show up.  But I am not in a hurry, I added an alert for it.  And have a few months till spring, or even later, as it is best to prune in the fall. 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #7785 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:32 pm »

Well, it depends. For example, I bought a table for a REALLY cheap price. Guy posted a solid wood table with 7 chairs for $80. I respond right away, willing to come at his convenience. He pushed the date back a few days.

Likewise, when I was setting up an appointment for selling a bed of mine, I did offered a time to someone and they agreed. It wouldn't be right to sell earlier just because someone calls and is pushy.

Last year I listed (and sold) an air conditioner for a profit. As the lady was coming to pick it up, someone else offered to come and pay more. I didn't take it. There's courtesy on both sides.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #7786 on: November 30, 2017, 05:34:30 pm »

Thanks KD,  but I didn't get it.  As someone else called ahead.  Maybe I will get lucky, and he wont show up.  But I am not in a hurry, I added an alert for it.  And have a few months till spring, or even later, as it is best to prune in the fall.

Ah, whoops, I just went back and read your post again.  In that case, that sucks man!   :P

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7787 on: November 30, 2017, 05:38:02 pm »
I hear you.  But when your selling something, you want it gone.  Too risky, to wait for the potential customer that says they are coming.  Not like he has a deposit or something.  If I was her, I would call the other guy, say there is another buyer, please come asap, or I am going to sell it to him.  That way at least she gave me the opportunity. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7788 on: November 30, 2017, 06:14:22 pm »
I ALWAYS warn people that the first one at my door with money buys it.  I don't care who calls first.  Show up with my asking price in cash (I price things so that there's no haggling) and if you're the first one here, you win.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #7789 on: November 30, 2017, 06:17:12 pm »
I ALWAYS warn people that the first one at my door with money buys it.  I don't care who calls first.  Show up with my asking price in cash (I price things so that there's no haggling) and if you're the first one here, you win.

What I've always suspected...you're easily bought!!   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7790 on: November 30, 2017, 06:30:34 pm »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7791 on: November 30, 2017, 06:49:38 pm »
Brutal!  You can see the point at which it gives way, the puff of dust, ugh.

In the Canadian Rockies we are very vigilant about loose rock.  We have mostly limestone and it's fragile.  Many climbers killed around here by falling rocks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7792 on: November 30, 2017, 07:00:47 pm »
Brutal!  You can see the point at which it gives way, the puff of dust, ugh.

In the Canadian Rockies we are very vigilant about loose rock.  We have mostly limestone and it's fragile.  Many climbers killed around here by falling rocks.

Did you click on the link to see his injuries?  Ouch?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7793 on: November 30, 2017, 09:29:18 pm »
The video made me think of this.  Sorry.

https://youtu.be/4UUwQNv7IyU
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7794 on: December 01, 2017, 01:03:00 pm »

That's the cleanest way to manage it for sure, but it gets dicey when you're not frequently home as is my case. Then you're stuck scheduling times for people to come, they don't show, etc.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7795 on: December 01, 2017, 01:04:33 pm »
BTW Jon....did you see this news story?   :o

https://deadspin.com/huge-chunk-of-boulder-breaks-off-in-climbers-hands-1820855225

:o :o

Holy fack!!!! Like did no one see the crack in the rock??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7796 on: December 01, 2017, 10:36:08 pm »
Rocks have cracks.  Not unusual.

Climbing in the Rockies means lots of loose, broken rock that can come apart at any time - sometimes in small chunks, and sometimes large enough to crush a town.  Mt. Edith, near Banff...  (I'm grinning here because I haven't yet seen how lousy the anchor was...)

The NE Ridge of Mt. Athabasca.  I couldn't believe how rank this rock was, even by Rockie's standards.  We climbed without placing much protection as the rock was so bad.

Some of the more solid granite in the Bugaboos is still fractured and comes apart.  My daughter climbing there.  Check out the flake of rock that could easily come off, but it's what ya got, so it's what ya hold onto...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #7797 on: December 03, 2017, 03:54:48 pm »
Being reminded of the death of Australia'a car industry...  (See Cadure's vid in the Kia Stinger thread.)
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7798 on: December 05, 2017, 01:43:14 pm »
This one makes me all three things in the subject title.

Leaving work today I noticed a black plastic bag on the grass of the parking lot. 

I looked into it, gave it a kick and something seemed odd.  That's when I saw the paw.   Yup, someone had put their (presumably dead) dog in a plastic bag and dumped it in the parking lot of the hospital.  WTF?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #7799 on: December 05, 2017, 11:36:42 pm »
This one makes me all three things in the subject title.

Leaving work today I noticed a black plastic bag on the grass of the parking lot. 

I looked into it, gave it a kick and something seemed odd.  That's when I saw the paw.   Yup, someone had put their (presumably dead) dog in a plastic bag and dumped it in the parking lot of the hospital.  WTF?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FRAK?!?!?!?