Author Topic: Time to Replace the F-150  (Read 10634 times)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
Re: Time to Replace the F-150
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 12:20:19 pm »
I'd pick the TL out of those two.  I agree with the space constraint for the G37x. I've been in a few and it's only barely good enough for me at 6'2".

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +8/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2017, 08:33:41 am »
I've still got a month and a half before my lease on the F-150 ends.

I like the idea of Acura, should likely be more reliable than Any German counterparts. I have been looking around at CPO 320i's however. But the meagre HP, and reliability issues.... as much as I've always wanted a BMW, this might not be the time.

The only niggle with the Acura is its automatic and FWD. The auto I could live with, but is it worth holding out for an SH-AWD model?

I'm also wide open to suggestions. I may even listen to them!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:05 am »

I like the idea of Acura, should likely be more reliable than Any German counterparts. I have been looking around at CPO 320i's however. But the meagre HP, and reliability issues.... as much as I've always wanted a BMW, this might not be the time.

The only niggle with the Acura is its automatic and FWD. The auto I could live with, but is it worth holding out for an SH-AWD model?

What made you lease the F-150 in the first place?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2017, 09:02:53 am »
How about this?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/2013-ford-fusion-titanium-sedan/1241943195?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
AWD...no idea on how reliable (I was hoping to find a 2010-12 Fusion Sport in your area - that would be a damn fine car and they're cheaper than Civics of the same era... :'( but you do get more car...and there aren't any.)

Seems a little high (he is - comparison http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/saint-john/2014-ford-fusion-se-awd/1235695925)...but maybe there's room.  And it comes with new studded winter tires, and being it's a Titanium it will have nice summer wheels.  Hopefully not the 20 spoke...numbnuts could've put some effort into posting pics though. 

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2014 Ford F-150 ][ Owned: 1998 VW Golf, 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 1991 VW Golf 1.6D, 2010 Colorado, 2003 Subaru Outback
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 09:41:44 am »

What made you lease the F-150 in the first place?

We used the truck with my wife's business at the time as her store had no storage. But since she moved, it's rarely, if ever, used for that purpose. It made a great road trip car however. But it hauls air mostly now and I miss being able to just go for a drive down the coastal roads.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 09:56:50 am »

Too bad your out east, and the selection isn't very good.  Canuck is coming out in the spring to pick up his car here.  Maybe you could buy my neighbour's TL manual with SH-AWD! Her lease is up soon.  Not sure what month though.  It's worth the drive to Burlington....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 10:22:55 am »
Update: took the Volvo out of a spin and I have some doubts. I need to speak with the mechanic, but this car sits for well over half the year and the owners aren't the most maintenance conscious. Has the potential for a money pit.

So we've been looking around again - goals are fun to drive, reasonable amount of space (I'm 6'4). This will be the primary road trip car. I really don't want an SUV.

A couple of options I've been looking at, opinions are always appreciated!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/2010-acura-tl-premium-3-5-l-v-6-cylinder-fwd/1018328155?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/2013-infiniti-g37x-awd-3-7l-v6-328hp-w-warranty-nlcarshop-com/1240068766?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Run away. Most important thing to remember when buying used: You are not buying the car per se but rather the owners. If they are not anal retentive neat freaks with a thing for maintenance by the book and detailing then walk. Every time. You want a vehicle that the owner obsessed over.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 04:54:42 pm »
Update: took the Volvo out of a spin and I have some doubts. I need to speak with the mechanic, but this car sits for well over half the year and the owners aren't the most maintenance conscious. Has the potential for a money pit.

So we've been looking around again - goals are fun to drive, reasonable amount of space (I'm 6'4). This will be the primary road trip car. I really don't want an SUV.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/2010-acura-tl-premium-3-5-l-v-6-cylinder-fwd/1018328155?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/st-johns/2013-infiniti-g37x-awd-3-7l-v6-328hp-w-warranty-nlcarshop-com/1240068766?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Run away. Most important thing to remember when buying used: You are not buying the car per se but rather the owners. If they are not anal retentive neat freaks with a thing for maintenance by the book and detailing then walk. Every time. You want a vehicle that the owner obsessed over.

Maintenance is important.  Detailing?  Not everyone is taking their cars to the dealership to spend hundreds yearly to get them detailed.  Not saying buy a car that's full of stains.  But I have had no problems selling any of my vehicles (all private), and we don't keep our cars very clean.  Guess I clean it good inside and out, about every 3 months. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 05:16:35 pm »

Maintenance is important.  Detailing?  Not everyone is taking their cars to the dealership to spend hundreds yearly to get them detailed.  Not saying buy a car that's full of stains.  But I have had no problems selling any of my vehicles (all private), and we don't keep our cars very clean.  Guess I clean it good inside and out, about every 3 months.

You are lucky! I'd be seriously put off by a dirty vehicle...just shows the owner treated it as an appliance...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 05:35:13 pm »

FWD TL? Forget it. You're wasting your time.

Wait for a SH-AWD version - most are.

EDIT: If you're considering FWD, how about a TSX?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/TSX/Mount+Pearl/Newfoundland+and+Labrador/5_25887354_20150923163055671/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_2

Slick 6MT:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Acura/TSX/Mount+Pearl/Newfoundland+and+Labrador/5_26250211_20150923163055671/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_2
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:39:38 pm by 1FGC »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2017, 06:01:22 pm »

You are lucky! I'd be seriously put off by a dirty vehicle...just shows the owner treated it as an appliance...

They aren't dirty vehicles.  Just not out there cleaning them often.  With all the rain, a silver car looks clean.  Pick up any garbage in the car once a week.  And to most, cars are appliances!  You can still have a well maintained appliance. 

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2017, 07:51:50 am »
One of the things I'll miss about the truck is the vinyl floors. Quick wipe with a damp cloth and you're done!

I saw the TSX, looks clean in person. But it seems like quite a bit for an 8 year old car, even if it is a Honda product. I've read good things so is it worth the asking price?

As well, long term plans may have changed slightly so some other, newer, vehicles are back in the mix.

Going out to drive a bunch of vehicles Saturday with the wife - plans are to check out the Infiniti, the Acura TL and TSX, as well as some new cars; Sportwagen, GTi, maybe the WRX for lease rates.

I know the German stuff is pretty low on the radar here, but what are the thoughts on a CPO 320i? I see them for sale locally in the low 20k range with a couple of years warranty.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:55 pm »
One of the things I'll miss about the truck is the vinyl floors. Quick wipe with a damp cloth and you're done!

I saw the TSX, looks clean in person. But it seems like quite a bit for an 8 year old car, even if it is a Honda product. I've read good things so is it worth the asking price?

As well, long term plans may have changed slightly so some other, newer, vehicles are back in the mix.

Going out to drive a bunch of vehicles Saturday with the wife - plans are to check out the Infiniti, the Acura TL and TSX, as well as some new cars; Sportwagen, GTi, maybe the WRX for lease rates.

I know the German stuff is pretty low on the radar here, but what are the thoughts on a CPO 320i? I see them for sale locally in the low 20k range with a couple of years warranty.

I wouldn't do it personally due to lack of power and potential repair bills. I don't know how much you want the power on a regular basis, though.
With a BMW, most I'd go for is leasing one for 3 years, 4 years max.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2017, 05:44:43 pm »
I agree with the above comment...I'd only ever lease a BMW.

I really think you are going to like the new vehicles you listed and I'll be surprised if one of those aren't the top of your list.  You should get a bit of a discount with your wife having a VW.  You'll feel a difference between her Bettle and the new Golfs. 

Have fun car shopping.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2017, 05:57:11 pm »

Get yourself a set of Weathertech floormats for whatever vehicle you buy.  They are typically molded to the shape of the floor, and cost about $300 for a full set (front and rear).  I have them in my van and they are fantastic.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2017, 07:47:03 am »

Get yourself a set of Weathertech floormats for whatever vehicle you buy.  They are typically molded to the shape of the floor, and cost about $300 for a full set (front and rear).  I have them in my van and they are fantastic.
we have them in our Kias and i can agree with this statement...fit is flawless and they really protect the carpets.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Apok

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 02:18:29 pm »
Update: Got out for a couple of test drives;

At the VW dealer I drove a Sportwagen Trendoine with the 5 speed. Lots of space, and the interior was nice even for a base car. This one had the updated head unit. Overall a competent, if a little boring, car. That 1.8 is a nice motor, and I like it much more with the 5 speed compared to my wife's Beatle with the auto. Seemed like it would be a great road trip car.

The I drove a GLi as I like the increase in space compared to the GTi. Interior was nice, not quite as well put together as the golf but it was pretty well equipped. The 6 speed felt a little less precicse compared to the 5 speed but there was certainly more power on tap. Felt like a great highway car. Very planted in the 80km/h winds. Offered me 23,400 on my truck - lease buyout is about 20k so some lease equity there.

Next stop was the Subaru dealer where I took out a WRX. It felt much more powerful and precicse compared to the GLi. Pulled pretty hard with seemingly less turbo lag all the way to red line. Seemed to stop harder as well. Interior was OK, but it includes everything I wanted. Felt cheaper inside compared to the VW's. we do a lot of 3-4 hour road trips and I wonder how comfortable the WRX is on a longer run. I have to look and see if there's an accessorie armrest because the stock one sucks. A further test drive will be in order. Subaru offered 22k for the truck, so a little less than the VW.

The wife preferred the GLi as it feels far more upscale. I'm torn but I think I like the WRX better. Especially when price is factored in. The WRX is $5k cheaper than the GLi. Three year lease was $500 compared to the GLi of 618 on a four year lease. Both included 3k of dealer :censor:  ::), but I wasn't there to negotiate yet. I think I could squeeze more out of the trade and get rid of the dealer add ons ie nitrogen.

I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts on the base WRX, I don't really want a sunroof. I also do really want a manual so my options become more limited.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 02:24:46 pm »
Next time you go to Subaru, check out the Legacy with the manual.  Much better interior than the WRX.  That would be more important to me than hp numbers, especially since you do longer drives.  Checking insurance rates between the two, could help sway things as well. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 02:50:14 pm »
The Legacy with the 2.5 won't be nearly as much fun to drive as the others listed above.

What about the GTI?

I'm also surprised the WRX is that much cheaper than the GLI.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »
WHY THE HELL DID YOU NOT DRIVE A GTI?  The GLI is not as impressive as the GTI so before you cross VW off your list you need to try the GTI.

Thoughts on the WRX, when I drove it a couple of years ago I loved the power and AWD and that's about it.  The exterior is a bit too boy racer for my taste and the interior is not as nice as VWs.  But the resale value on these are excellent so a good chance that you'll have positive equity in the leased vehicle towards the end of the lease like your F150.  The insurance rates for the WRX were quite a bit more than the GTI when I was getting quotes.  Oh and the ride in the GTI was much better compromise of comfort and sporty handling compared to the WRX.