Author Topic: The don't make them like they used to...  (Read 13242 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: The don't make them like they used to...
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2021, 04:02:46 pm »
I have a CR membership in case you want me to look up any ratings.

Thanks, I have, as well as Wirecutter now (ouch)

Forgot about IKEA, will have to look into them. We got our washer and drier as well as our dishwasher through Costco, pretty happy with that so far, especially as the price includes delivery and disposal

Ordered a couch set through Costco last week, will see how that goes

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2021, 08:29:49 pm »
Yeah, it's all electric. Would look at induction but have not seen good things on reliability

Yeah, that's fair.  I've bought both my induction stoves off of Kijiji for $300 or less, so I'm not too concerned about reliability.    I would think that they are better sorted now, but haven't dug into the reviews.

Lol the fact you've bought two isn't a good sign. I have one in the new house and love it though, it may be worth unreliability.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2021, 08:58:37 pm »
We've had good luck with our natural gas GE Profile range. No issues in over 12 years. Looks almost good as new when clean too.
Wouldnt buy GE Profile , bad luck with fridge , stove and washer / dryer
And they owned by a Chinese company , Haier Group Corporation

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2021, 09:34:06 pm »
We've had good luck with our natural gas GE Profile range. No issues in over 12 years. Looks almost good as new when clean too.
Wouldnt buy GE Profile , bad luck with fridge , stove and washer / dryer
And they owned by a Chinese company , Haier Group Corporation

Our even older (not sure how old since it came with the house, bought in 09) GE Profile overhead microwave/hood vent has been flawless as well so...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2021, 11:17:44 am »
Ended up ordering LG from Costco, stove and microwave. The over the range microwave should arrive today, hopefully not too much of a pain to install

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2021, 11:22:11 am »
Ended up ordering LG from Costco, stove and microwave. The over the range microwave should arrive today, hopefully not too much of a pain to install
do you already have an exhaust duct ? if not hopefully it wouldnt be to hard

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2021, 11:37:59 am »
For sure, replacing an existing LG that's 18 years old. From what I understand I just need the wife to work the top bolts while I hold it and pivot it off. Then I pivot the new one back on after resetting the back bracket to fit

Someone was telling us they were bleeding by that point but I think they were replacing a non vented hood and things were more complicated

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2021, 10:43:20 am »
Got it done:

The stove was of course easy, the microwave took a bit of work in redrilling the hanger and power holes, and of course placing it on its bracket and bolting it up. It was nice though the new LG fit the old LG backing plate, didn't even have to move it

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:23 pm »
Got it yeah. We've had no trouble with our LG washer and drier so far, but better safe than sorry. Not expensive to get the extra 3 years coverage through Costco

That's just about it for the appliances, the last few years we've replaced fridge, dishwasher, washer and drier, and now stove and microwave. Just the freezer left, will be looking for an upright this time.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2021, 12:24:50 pm »
We did LG when we bought our HE washer and dryer set 7 years ago.  Been complete junk for us, glad we bought the 5 year warranty.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2021, 12:50:12 pm »
We did LG when we bought our HE washer and dryer set 7 years ago.  Been complete junk for us, glad we bought the 5 year warranty.
Our LG stuff has been no problems since we got them , GE or should I write Haier has been crap

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #91 on: September 24, 2021, 02:03:00 pm »
This is an incredibly timely thread.  For the past 3 1/2 years we've been using a 30 inch 2.1 cubic ft over the range micro.  Your standard $500 run of the mill.  GE no less.  Did a lot of unnecessary beeping.  Best part was that I sourced after many experiments some great screw in LEDs cooktop lights from China.  Well the thing went dead on Monday night.  Read about them and it's a common issue.   Something about door and a fuse that can't b repaired.

So off to Leons and purchased a similar unit only because it was in stock.  Bit of an issue these days.  Frigidaire.  So all the box says is Microwave and China.  Not a "Frigidaire" to be found.  Get the thing home and out of the box and this unit is eerily similar to the GE unit that I just pulled out. Same bracket, same top location for holding screws and power cord location exact.  So I said to my wife I think we just got another GE turkey.  :rofl2:

The old unit is pretty heavy so I just set it out on the deck for ultimate disposal and not in the garage.  It's been raining here a lot.  So I'm reading all these appliance posts and comments about extended warranty and then I decided to look thru this box I throw receipts into and bingo I have an extended warranty on the GE unit.  :-X  "KING and STATE" Warranty Company.  I'll let the GE unit dry out for a month and then give them a call.  :rofl2: