Author Topic: Golf R negotiation  (Read 52007 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Golf R negotiation
« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2015, 12:25:13 pm »
I believe both the 6.5" and 8" screens will support CarPlay and Android Auto, which is awesome.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2015, 12:37:04 pm »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2015, 01:16:21 pm »
I believe both the 6.5" and 8" screens will support CarPlay and Android Auto, which is awesome.
I heard they support both but I'm not really much of a tech person.  Not really sure what either does and probably won't ever use it.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2015, 01:17:43 pm »
APR has a stage 1 ready  :)

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html
Yes it is but I personally won't be doing any of that as I want to keep my warranty 100% intact.  That being said I might get a CAI.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:05 pm »
I heard they support both but I'm not really much of a tech person.  Not really sure what either does and probably won't ever use it.

They both basically replicate apps from your phone onto the touchscreen. So if you have an iPhone, your text messages show up on the display, you can play the music from iTunes, use Apple Maps for nav if you choose, etc.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2015, 01:52:38 pm »

They both basically replicate apps from your phone onto the touchscreen. So if you have an iPhone, your text messages show up on the display, you can play the music from iTunes, use Apple Maps for nav if you choose, etc.
Cool, too bad I'll never use this to it's full potential.  I use my phone for calling and rarely text.  I only have a work cell phone and don't really do the whole app thing.  But I'm sure the other young people will love it (oh I'm 34 but been told I'm an old soul).

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #106 on: February 19, 2015, 03:38:10 pm »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #107 on: February 19, 2015, 03:56:45 pm »
APR has a stage 1 ready  :)

http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html
Yes it is but I personally won't be doing any of that as I want to keep my warranty 100% intact.  That being said I might get a CAI.

I would if I got a Golf R. Much like all the WRX and STI's I have owned the cost after a catastrophic failure would be much less than my TT-RS.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 19, 2015, 07:10:33 pm »

I would if I got a Golf R. Much like all the WRX and STI's I have owned the cost after a catastrophic failure would be much less than my TT-RS.

::)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2015, 12:21:30 am »

And how many modded cars are you driving now  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2015, 01:31:22 am »

All my cars are modded (except the Forester).  However since none of my cars have turbos, I can't get ~75HP and ~90TQ boost with a mere phone call....like you can.

Man up.   ;)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2015, 07:00:32 am »
I thought everyone knew that one? Kids..... :bang:

everybody should watch those old bogart films.  they are awesome.

once i bought an awd car i don't think there's any possibility of going back.  manual + awd?  awesome. car and driver?  they are merican, and therefor have no credibility.   ::) 8)
If it's good enough to be Top Gear's Hot Hatch of the year, I think it'll be good enough for me.
Canada delayed bring the R because they wanted to have the new infotainment system in the car with the 8 inch screen etc  i can't remember the other little details that will be added to the 2016 model as well.
The base screen is suppose to increase to 6.5 inches as well, plus they are switching to a USB derived plug for your devices.  North America is getting a bit different looking Golf R as well, as the we don't get one of the 19" rim options, the side mirrors are black instead of gray/silver, and the one that hurts is the back tail lights aren't LED like they are in other markets.  Minor details really, as long as we get the performance goodies.

Oh I think the LED tail lights are one of the add ons for 2016 that vw canada waited half a yr to add.
I just assumed they got rid of the LED tail lights to save money as they are charging so little for the R compared to other markets.  I hope you're right about them adding it to the 2016, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2015, 07:23:50 am »
The one thing that I am finding really annoying right now is having to explain the vehicle to people.  Most of my friends and family know that I was test driving a bunch of vehicles and planning on buying in the near future.  When they ask what I decided on and I tell them I'm getting a Golf R I'm met with "oh, I thought you were looking for a sports car" or "is that an SUV".  Some only say congrats and then ask when I'm getting it, September, "why aren't you getting it until September", because it's a fairly rare and special vehicle.  "What makes it so rare and special?"  You see where this is going.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 07:43:24 am »
The one thing that I am finding really annoying right now is having to explain the vehicle to people.  Most of my friends and family know that I was test driving a bunch of vehicles and planning on buying in the near future.  When they ask what I decided on and I tell them I'm getting a Golf R I'm met with "oh, I thought you were looking for a sports car" or "is that an SUV".  Some only say congrats and then ask when I'm getting it, September, "why aren't you getting it until September", because it's a fairly rare and special vehicle.  "What makes it so rare and special?"  You see where this is going.

That is what I love about this car so much. Only those in the now and that care will truly get why you bought this car. Most of the time when people ask me what I drive I just say Golf because those that don't get GTI are just confused.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2015, 08:08:32 am »

That is what I love about this car so much. Only those in the now and that care will truly get why you bought this car. Most of the time when people ask me what I drive I just say Golf because those that don't get GTI are just confused.
No doubt.  I'm glad they didn't call it the GTI R as that would make it that much more difficult to explain.  At least when I say VW Golf R, about half the people know what a VW Golf is. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 08:23:25 am »

Same here, the R is so understated that it is beautiful.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:50 am »

All my cars are modded (except the Forester).  However since none of my cars have turbos, I can't get ~75HP and ~90TQ boost with a mere phone call....like you can.

Man up.   ;)

Shift kits and shinny bits don't count. Talk to me when you have add some real HP  :sleep:

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2015, 09:13:43 am »
At last ... the replacement for our 9-2x Aero

AWD
Manual
Hatchback
Fast as F$%#
$40k

Done!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2015, 09:34:37 am »

AWD
Manual
Hatchback
Fast as F$%#
$40k

Done!
Well you better go put a deposit down as the line up is getting long.  I put my deposit down in November and I probably won't be seeing mine until September.  Mind you, if you wait until the initial craziness wears off, you should be able to get one in about 3-4 months after ordering.  Do not expect to see these on dealers lots waiting to be sold.  If you need a test drive I'd say try the GTI (preferably with Performance Pack) and if you enjoy that, you'll know you'll love the Golf R.  Good luck.

Offline SeaBlueS4

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +9/-8
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 S4, 2016 Forester XT, 1972 Triumph TR6
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:59 am »

AWD
Manual
Hatchback
Fast as F$%#
$40k

Done!
Well you better go put a deposit down as the line up is getting long.  I put my deposit down in November and I probably won't be seeing mine until September.  Mind you, if you wait until the initial craziness wears off, you should be able to get one in about 3-4 months after ordering.  Do not expect to see these on dealers lots waiting to be sold.  If you need a test drive I'd say try the GTI (preferably with Performance Pack) and if you enjoy that, you'll know you'll love the Golf R.  Good luck.

Any clue if this is a 2016 only model or will continue for a few years?
Plan was to replace Saab next year - it's 10 yrs old and has 250k, but has been bullet proof to date, so it's nice to milk the "free car" for as long as possible.

A 2016 only R may bump up our schedule though.