Author Topic: What are the best value nearly new pre-owned vehicles?  (Read 2542 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
What are the best value nearly new pre-owned vehicles?
« on: June 22, 2017, 11:35:39 pm »
I was just looking for some information for an article that I have been asked to write for the autos section of my local newspaper.  They want me to write a piece on nearly new pre-owned vehicles and which ones offer the best value.  I was thinking along the lines of a top 10 over a broad range of vehicles where I could recommend vehicles that offer a decent saving over their new price but are still competitive within their respective classes.  I did want to stick with models that are basically current though i.e. a 2013 Escape despite the refresh is broadly similar to a 2017 Escape, whereas a 2013 Hyundai Tucson or 2013 Silverado are completely different to the current models.

Having bought one myself, a definite pick would be the Dodge Grand Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country.  I bought my 2015 Grand Caravan last summer, which listed at $38k new for $20k on 40,000km.  That's quite the saving!

Re other types of vehicle, I'm thinking along the lines of small cars, Fiat 500, Hyundai Accent.  Compact, I'm not sure.  Civic/Elantra?

Mid-size, probably the Chrysler 200.  Maybe a Cadillac ATS if we're thinking about luxury sedans.

Full-size Chrysler 300 V6

Trucks: F150, Ram 1500

SUVs: Not really sure

Sports:  Mustang/Camaro V6 possibly (although these are a steal new, I'm not sure if they're that amazing value a pre-owned vehicle in comparison).

Any thoughts on the models I have chosen and any more suggestions, particularly on SUVs/crossovers, compact cars and performance cars?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks. :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: What are the best value nearly new pre-owned vehicles?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:41:55 pm »
I've seen some nearly new Kia models selling for low prices - the Riio seems to be a great nearly-new used car buy.  I think a couple forum members have bought very lightly used Rios and saved quite a bit over new.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:28:58 am »
Luxury CUV: Acura RDX.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:29:18 am »
I've seen some nearly new Kia models selling for low prices - the Riio seems to be a great nearly-new used car buy.  I think a couple forum members have bought very lightly used Rios and saved quite a bit over new.

Thanks for that.  Good shout. :)

ltruong

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 02:46:21 am »
2015/2016 sonata higher trim (limited+) great value.  Offers great options like; rear window screen,ventilated front seats, memory seat, heated rear seat steering wheel..all the new safety features, Apple CarPlay Android auto...

Also a Toyota Avalon..... tons of features and used is almost the same price as a similar  trim Camry

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 08:42:55 am »
I would assume anything Fiat wouldn't be considered a good value at any price.  Don't steer your readers wrong.  They'll go out and buy one and then everyone in Brandon's gonna remember your name.  "But he said!" and then they'll be protesting outside the paper...even though you're never really there because you're not a staff writer...you'll be on the road somewhere testing the latest and greatest not-a-Fiat car.

I'll throw in Chevy Sonic.  Anecdotal evidence suggests it'll run longer and cheaper than any Fiat, so it's a better used buy in the long run (not one day in the shop in 4 yrs - other than for a windshield, and that one day it blew an oil line 4 months in...but that was warranty, and nothing else since).  And they depreciate like a luxury car.  I'd doubt mine's worth a pot to pish in.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 08:52:57 am »
I think he's mailing out Tim Bits in standard letter size envelopes.  I can't wait.  I love me some Tim Bits.  :love: :lick:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 09:11:19 am »
Looking at your list.  I think a best value for Full Size has to go with a Hyundai Genesis sedan, these are excellent vehicles that have decreased in value substantially over a couple of years of ownership.  The majority of them will still have a decent amount of warranty left as well.

For the sports car section I think again I'd go Hyundai Genesis coupe, for exactly the same reason.  They'll offer more features and value than the used muscle/pony cars.

For trucks I'm say Ram as F150's seem to hold their value better and the recent generations of Rams have been very competitive.

I like the suggestion of a Caddy ATS for luxury vehicles but that E class for half price after one year (if true) would be my pick for sure.

For SUV's I might pick the Toyota Venza as I always thought it was an under appreciated vehicle.

I know a lot of my picks are no longer being produced but that might be way they offer more value.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:10 am »
An orange Lexus GS F
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 10:51:51 am by OliverD »

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:04 am »
I would assume anything Fiat wouldn't be considered a good value at any price.  Don't steer your readers wrong.  They'll go out and buy one and then everyone in Brandon's gonna remember your name.  "But he said!" and then they'll be protesting outside the paper...even though you're never really there because you're not a staff writer...you'll be on the road somewhere testing the latest and greatest not-a-Fiat car.

I'll throw in Chevy Sonic.  Anecdotal evidence suggests it'll run longer and cheaper than any Fiat, so it's a better used buy in the long run (not one day in the shop in 4 yrs - other than for a windshield, and that one day it blew an oil line 4 months in...but that was warranty, and nothing else since).  And they depreciate like a luxury car.  I'd doubt mine's worth a pot to pish in.

What flavour would you like?

Re the Fiat 500, I can actually speak from anecdotal evidence.  My wife ran one from new for 3.5 years and guess what?  No trips back to the dealership other than for routine servicing.  Great on gas, quite well built, very safe and refined for a little car too.  My only reservation is that it didn't handle bumpy roads that well and there are a lot of bumpy roads around here, although ours was a 2009, so they may have improved the suspension since then.  Around here too, there is no dealership back up though, although the engines are used in other FCA vehicles.  I'm not really sure as to why now that Chrysler/Dodge seem to have given up on making ordinary sedans, they don't just incorporate Fiat into FCA dealerships.  Had a few Fiats actually and now they don't rust, they're pretty good.  The Italians (and French) are very good at making small cars and the Italians/French tend to abuse their cars and take a more liberal view towards maintenance, so they need to be tough.  Our Fiat 500 was more reliable than any of the three VWs that I have owned.  $10k for a low mileage 2012/2013 vs. $20k for a new one seems like reasonable value to me and I see a few around, even in Brandon!

Likewise, I can't recommend it here because it's too old and I have no experience with the current model but my 2010 MINI Cooper to date has been as reliable if not more so, than the 2013 Civic that I owned previously.  Generally though, I would still say the Japanese manufacturers and possibly Hyundai/Kia more recently are the safest bet for reliability?

Thanks for the tip on the Sonic though, I'll look into it.  I hear that the previous-gen Cruze was horrible for reliability though. :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:58:06 am by BritWRX »

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:01:06 am »
Looking at your list.  I think a best value for Full Size has to go with a Hyundai Genesis sedan, these are excellent vehicles that have decreased in value substantially over a couple of years of ownership.  The majority of them will still have a decent amount of warranty left as well.

For the sports car section I think again I'd go Hyundai Genesis coupe, for exactly the same reason.  They'll offer more features and value than the used muscle/pony cars.

For trucks I'm say Ram as F150's seem to hold their value better and the recent generations of Rams have been very competitive.

I like the suggestion of a Caddy ATS for luxury vehicles but that E class for half price after one year (if true) would be my pick for sure.

For SUV's I might pick the Toyota Venza as I always thought it was an under appreciated vehicle.

I know a lot of my picks are no longer being produced but that might be way they offer more value.

A Mercedes-Benz E-Class for half price after a year?  Tell me more.  The Hyundai/Kia vehicles are good suggestions.  In theory, you can still pick up a 3 year old one and still have two years factory warranty on it too, whereas a lot of competitor vehicles would be out of warranty at this point. :)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:14 am »

A Mercedes-Benz E-Class for half price after a year?  Tell me more.  The Hyundai/Kia vehicles are good suggestions.  In theory, you can still pick up a 3 year old one and still have two years factory warranty on it too, whereas a lot of competitor vehicles would be out of warranty at this point. :)

Do read other threads on the forum or just your own  ???
There been a lot of post about great deals lately

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 11:42:54 am »
They want me to write a piece on nearly new pre-owned vehicles and which ones offer the best value
Any thoughts on the models I have chosen and any more suggestions, particularly on SUVs/crossovers, compact cars and performance cars?  Your help would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks. :)

A Volt gen1 (2011-2015) for daily commute inside its 60-65km electric range YMMV (or 2x range if you have a place th recharge at work), half price or lower compared to newer gen2 (a bit less in Ontario due to 14k rebate) is in my minds, a very good candidate for best value if you have a place to recharge daily at home. The no compromise car.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 11:46:05 am »

I do but I haven't read that one.  A year old E-Class for 50% of the price of a new one seems unprecedented.  Surely that can't be usual?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 11:46:38 am »
I don't think that deal exists.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 12:13:15 pm »
I don't think that deal exists.

^ This...I for one was pretty sceptical about that deal.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 12:17:36 pm »

I do but I haven't read that one.  A year old E-Class for 50% of the price of a new one seems unprecedented.  Surely that can't be usual?

Yeah I was referencing a previous post that we all agreed was #fakenews.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 12:20:24 pm »
Either a Hyundai or Kia....or a big German land yacht, S/A8/7 series.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:01 pm »
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions.  So at the moment I'm thinking:

Subcompact: Rio/Accent

Compact: ?

Mid-size: Hyundai Sonata

Full-size: Hyundai Genesis or possibly Chrysler 300 V6 because Pentastar is well-proven and 8-speed transmission has less issues than the 9-speed in other FCA vehicles

Luxury/Premium sedan: Cadillac ATS

Sports: Hyundai Genesis Coupe (just been discontinued but still the latest model)

Compact SUV: I would prefer one of the more popular compact SUVs but Toyota Venza/Acura RDX have been mentioned

Large/3-row SUV/crossover: ?

Van: Grand Caravan/Town and Country

Truck: Ram 1500

Any more suggestions for compact car or SUV/crossover picks?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2017, 04:34:17 pm »
Used German luxury cars do depreciate HARD though, and it's not difficult to buy a very clean not-old-at-all example for far below the original price.  Buy at an off-brand dealer or private sale, no CPO, and you can save a substantial amount of money.