Author Topic: camping off the bike.  (Read 1778 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
camping off the bike.
« on: December 01, 2022, 07:22:56 pm »
Going to do some more camping off the bike next spring. Going with the " There is no adventure on a n adventure bike" route  I have decided to make my Husky FE501 be the camping mule. At 250lbs it is ready for adventure. ;D

First mod was to get a xtrig preload adjuster installed when the shock was being rebuilt. It is a worm gear adjuster for adding preload (when adding camping weight).

Next was ordering a Giant Loop Coyote roll for gear. Alongside the Diablo tank bag it is all the luggage I want to carry.  My goal is to keep all gear under 20lbs. So far I have done pretty well in keeping weight down and going minimalist.

MSR Hubba Hubba 1man tent (1020 grams)
Sea to summit ether light sleeping pad (470g)
My old mountain hardwear sleeping bag (1700g) :o Heavy and overkill (-7)  but will wear it our before replacing. I will not add chair until I shave a pound here.
MSR pocket rocket stove and mini fuel (700g)
I have a little 750ml titanium kettle/pot/cup  (80g) for all my dining/coffee/tea needs. A couple freeze dried meals and some instant starbucks via pouches.
One 21 inch light duty tube. (400g)
I need a spork.

Tools/water/satellite com/bear spray/saw/phone/first aid kit/headlamp/bike pump carried on my hydro backpack.

Other than that I need a few extra clothing items.

Anything else I am missing? I'm at about 17lbs and likely 20lbs if I include the stuff strapped to my hydro pack.  I can't figure out why adventure riders have these huge luggage collections stacked high.  ???

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: camping off the bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2022, 07:32:29 pm »
This is the only way I want to put bike and camping in the same sentence. :)

Air conditioning, toilet, hot shower, queen size bed with memory foam mattress, and a fridge full of beer and ice cream!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2022, 07:51:41 pm »
Yeah but then you have to hang out with that crowd.  ;D  Side by sides and idiots on quads...  I hub and spoke rides all the time (sometimes using motels  :o) but multiday camping on a single track machine puts you in some fabulous (albeit probably not legal) campsites high in the BC/Idaho alpine. Sort of like how ski touring was before the popularity took off.

This is one of my fav camping spots. No one around for 10kms+ lol.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2022, 08:07:43 pm »
Yeah, I’m sure it’s great. That spot does look fantastic! :thumbup:

I’ve just gotten too old and soft to sleep on the ground.  :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2022, 08:18:31 pm »

Hey I like trailer riding too. Want to buy a Pleasureway Mercedes van but they are damn near $275k  :o Looks like Utah is clamping down so might have prioritize some trips there before it is gone. Dual sports should be able to circumvent some of it at least initially.

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2022, 08:25:04 pm »
Going to do some more camping off the bike next spring. Going with the " There is no adventure on a n adventure bike" route  I have decided to make my Husky FE501 be the camping mule. At 250lbs it is ready for adventure. ;D

First mod was to get a xtrig preload adjuster installed when the shock was being rebuilt. It is a worm gear adjuster for adding preload (when adding camping weight).

Next was ordering a Giant Loop Coyote roll for gear. Alongside the Diablo tank bag it is all the luggage I want to carry.  My goal is to keep all gear under 20lbs. So far I have done pretty well in keeping weight down and going minimalist.

My old mountain hardwear sleeping bag (1700g) :o Heavy and overkill (-7)  but will wear it our before replacing. I will not add chair until I shave a pound here.
I have a little 750ml titanium kettle/pot/cup  (80g) for all my dining/coffee/tea needs. A couple freeze dried meals and some instant starbucks via pouches.
I need a spork.

Tools/water/satellite com/bear spray/saw/phone/first aid kit/headlamp/bike pump carried on my hydro backpack.

Anything else I am missing? I'm at about 17lbs and likely 20lbs if I include the stuff strapped to my hydro pack.  I can't figure out why adventure riders have these huge luggage collections stacked high.  ???

I used to do what I called extreme ADV riding and can share....or is there any area specifically you want advice/info on??

I obsessed over my stove in particular.  I settled on a Solo stove. 300g  Burned any type of combustible material.  Pine cones, twigs, dried dung, etc..you name it.  Also packed a tiny alcohol stove burner (100g) that fit INSIDE the solo stove in case it was wet out and nothing would burn.  Then the solo stove itself fit INSIDE 1L GSI Soloist Boiler pot.  Footprint is ridiculously small.  Preferred food was Knorr Pasta Sidekicks.  Just add water.  Also had jerky and GU gel.  Sometimes Mainstay bars.  Used dryer lint with vaseline as a firestarter.  Or tampons, which I always kept several for my first aid.

I often didn't bring extra water if I knew I'd be near a body of water opting to bring my light weight purification system instead.

And if there's one "splurge" item I heartily recommend it's the Nemo Filo Elite pillow.  Feels like an absolute luxury item for me and my sleep was more restful.  85 grams.  Worth every penny.

Also, I've used these ultralight chairs by Trekology.  I have 2.  They weigh 950g ea.  Very, very nice.  Footprint smaller than loaf of bread.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 08:32:51 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 08:25:56 pm »

I'm with you.. my idea of roughing it now, is slow room service  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2022, 01:21:50 am »

I need a spork.

I used to do what I called extreme ADV riding and can share....or is there any area specifically you want advice/info on??

I obsessed over my stove in particular.  I settled on a Solo stove. 300g  Burned any type of combustible material.  Pine cones, twigs, dried dung, etc..you name it.  Also packed a tiny alcohol stove burner (100g) that fit INSIDE the solo stove in case it was wet out and nothing would burn.  Then the solo stove itself fit INSIDE 1L GSI Soloist Boiler pot.  Footprint is ridiculously small.  Preferred food was Knorr Pasta Sidekicks.  Just add water.  Also had jerky and GU gel.  Sometimes Mainstay bars.  Used dryer lint with vaseline as a firestarter.  Or tampons, which I always kept several for my first aid.

I often didn't bring extra water if I knew I'd be near a body of water opting to bring my light weight purification system instead.

And if there's one "splurge" item I heartily recommend it's the Nemo Filo Elite pillow.  Feels like an absolute luxury item for me and my sleep was more restful.  85 grams.  Worth every penny.

Also, I've used these ultralight chairs by Trekology.  I have 2.  They weigh 950g ea.  Very, very nice.  Footprint smaller than loaf of bread.

Ok good advice on the pillow. I have a life straw plumbed into my hydration system so that keeps the water in check. Will revisit this in March. Just booked a tentative dirtbike trip for Feb  in Costa Rica and need to get some details sorted lol.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2022, 07:45:05 am »
I'd probably pack a tarp as well.

How much does extra weight affect the handling of the bike?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2022, 11:00:37 am »
I'd probably pack a tarp as well.

How much does extra weight affect the handling of the bike?

Offroad? You feel every pound. The FE501 has  a very lightweight subframe so you hae to be careful. The funny thing is with a full camping load this bike will still weigh less than a Honda 300 CRF Rally

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 11:21:32 am »
Makes sense, and presumably the more you feel it the more tiring it will be.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2022, 12:46:44 pm »
Note that you mentioned where you're going, I'd check if sleeping on the ground is recommended.

Some places recommend a hammock tent vs being on the ground.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2022, 12:47:43 pm »
Note that you mentioned where you're going, I'd check if sleeping on the ground is recommended.

The costa Rica trip is point to point at hotels. I'm not an animal  ;D

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2022, 12:50:37 pm »
Makes sense, and presumably the more you feel it the more tiring it will be.

That is the problem with the whole adventure touring fad. The average ADV bike is 500lbs and then they get loaded up with another 100lbs of gear/panniers. There won't be any non road riding with that setup. If that is the style you would be better off with a Goldwing.

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2022, 04:29:57 pm »

The costa Rica trip is point to point at hotels. I'm not an animal  ;D
Ok...well you had mentioned tent and sleeping bag.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2022, 06:18:11 pm »
Axe for firewood?

Online rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2022, 07:37:57 pm »
Axe for firewood?
Not necessary.

If you have a knife or machete you can baton wood to split it.

If you're actually cutting things down, a rope saw/folding saw packs smaller.

But good suggestion re cutting tool. Always comes in handy!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:40:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2022, 11:04:17 am »
Not really a fire guy and not conducive to random camping in the west during fire season. . At the end of a long day some food, a couple drinks and then crawl into the tent for an early morning. No energy to build , tend and extinguish a fire.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 11:08:58 am »
Ha! I am not either but it seems like everyone else in the world absolutely needs to have one while camping!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 11:11:44 am »
Ha! I am not either but it seems like everyone else in the world absolutely needs to have one while camping!

Right on! Lots of people who consider themselves "green" seem to have to problem releasing a lot of valueless carbon into the air.  ;)