Author Topic: Considering Trading in Macan  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
Considering Trading in Macan
« on: March 30, 2022, 02:26:58 pm »
The original plan was for my partner to drive it for a couple years and then I would keep it (since it was me that really wanted it and I tend to keep vehicles I like much longer), but since Covid we only really need one now during the winter.  Considering a Stelvio Veloce, we both really like the looks and based on reviews I'd like the way it drives.  I know reliability won't be up to Porsche, but highly unlikely we'd have it beyond warranty.  I'm a little hesitant about going to a 4 cyl, but in reality it's mainly the handling and overall feel that I enjoy.  Curious what everyone thinks!  Going to discuss the GV70 tonight, I'm not sure how I feel about the looks in pics, and I haven't seen one in person, but the package is hard to ignore.

I contacted the closest Alfa dealer about wanting to get an idea of #'s before I come into the dealership, and this is what I got:

"Unfortunately we do not give numbers via email and we also do not appraise vehicles without an offer on a vehicle we have here.

Do you have a price in mind on what you want for it? If so please come by and we can work on a reasonable offer for a Veloce. You can take a look at autotrader to get an idea what they sell for retail. We would pay wholesale and check the condition of tires, breaks, windshield, body shape and accident history"

For some reason it really rubs me the wrong way, it's not 1990 and the last 2 new purchases we did were completely online and I loved it.  I'm not interested in being 4 squared in between running to the managers office while he dabs his forehead telling me "woooo, I'm really working for you on this one".  It makes the Genesis WAY more tempting just to not have to deal with that crap.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Considering Trading in Macan
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2022, 02:31:03 pm »
I'm sorta confused.  You're trading in the Macan for another SUV but you want to go down a car.  Are you trading in two cars to go down to one?

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2022, 02:31:19 pm »
Your problem won’t be getting a good price for the Macan, your problem will be finding a replacement. To me you focus on the latter, but n this market.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 02:42:40 pm »
Alfa is about the only thing new and discounted atm

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 02:47:02 pm »
I'm sorta confused.  You're trading in the Macan for another SUV but you want to go down a car.  Are you trading in two cars to go down to one?

I wasn't clear, I was meaning when we bought the Macan we had need for 2, but I already sold mine last year and now we're sharing a SUV for the winter.

Your problem won’t be getting a good price for the Macan, your problem will be finding a replacement. To me you focus on the latter, but n this market.

There are some Stelvio's available and seem to be quite a few Veloce models

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 02:53:56 pm »
I am right there with you on this dealer not giving a good vibe.  I mean I'm two provinces away and the dealer gave me trade in values without knowing anything other than the basic details. 

So explain a little further what the rational is for switching from the Macan to the Alfa?  Is it to get a newer vehicle that is at a lower price while also getting the most out of your trade in?

If you didn't need the SUV right away, and could get by with your other vehicles until maybe fall, I'd probably see if a Porsche dealer would give you top dollar and order the new Macan T, it's the 2.0T but with all the go fast bits.

I saw one of those Genesis GV70's and I thought it looked better in person.  But that's just exterior, I didn't look on the inside.  You'd definitely like the buying process considering it can pretty much all take place remotely.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 02:56:37 pm »
I am not one to discourage buying a new vehicle (bring on the show'n'shine), but in this market I'd be pretty content to keep driving the Macan.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 03:04:50 pm »
So you're thinking the handling/drive of the Stelvio will be superior (enough to notice) on the street?

The 4 banger of the Stelvio is enough for me to dismiss it. The Macan sixes have a pretty nice soundtrack. And if the warranty is done, a stage 1 tune might be in order to fall in love all over again.

Is the warranty up on the Porsche yet?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2022, 03:07:39 pm »
Assuming I understand the situation correctly, you're contemplating selling the 2018 Macan S to purchase a Stelvio or GV70?   Why not just keep driving the Macan S?   Or is it just boredom thing [totally understandable...just trying to understand the rationale]?

Me:  I'd stick with the 6-cyl Porsche.

I'd 100% blow off that dealer.   However there probably aren't many options to deal with... part of the downside with Alfa vs Porsche.

...order the new Macan T, it's the 2.0T but with all the go fast bits...

But still...why not just stick with the 6 cyl?

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2022, 03:11:01 pm »
I am right there with you on this dealer not giving a good vibe.  I mean I'm two provinces away and the dealer gave me trade in values without knowing anything other than the basic details. 

So explain a little further what the rational is for switching from the Macan to the Alfa?  Is it to get a newer vehicle that is at a lower price while also getting the most out of your trade in?

If you didn't need the SUV right away, and could get by with your other vehicles until maybe fall, I'd probably see if a Porsche dealer would give you top dollar and order the new Macan T, it's the 2.0T but with all the go fast bits.

I saw one of those Genesis GV70's and I thought it looked better in person.  But that's just exterior, I didn't look on the inside.  You'd definitely like the buying process considering it can pretty much all take place remotely.

My partner never really bonded with the Macan, although admittedly that has a lot to do with the colour  ;D.  I'd happily keep it for years, but trying to find a compromise, and since used values are so high, now seems like a pretty good time.  I'll mention a new Macan, the prices are just so much higher than the deal we got, although you're probably right that they'll give the best trade value.

I just had a call with an Alfa dealer an hour away and he's more than happy to get into the details before we make a decision to go, and was a good conversation.  Bonus is he previously worked at Porsche so is very familiar with the Macan and values.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 03:11:04 pm »
Assuming I understand the situation correctly, you're contemplating selling the 2018 Macan S to purchase a Stelvio or GV70?   Why not just keep driving the Macan S?   Or is it just boredom thing [totally understandable...just trying to understand the rationale]?

Me:  I'd stick with the 6-cyl Porsche.

I'd 100% blow off that dealer.   However there probably aren't many options to deal with... part of the downside with Alfa vs Porsche.

...order the new Macan T, it's the 2.0T but with all the go fast bits...

But still...why not just stick with the 6 cyl?
That's pretty much how I feel.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 03:11:54 pm »

My partner never really bonded with the Macan, although admittedly that has a lot to do with the colour  ;D.  I'd happily keep it for years, but trying to find a compromise, and since used values are so high, now seems like a pretty good time.  I'll mention a new Macan, the prices are just so much higher than the deal we got, although you're probably right that they'll give the best trade value.

I just had a call with an Alfa dealer an hour away and he's more than happy to get into the details before we make a decision to go, and was a good conversation.  Bonus is he previously worked at Porsche so is very familiar with the Macan and values.
How about wrapping the car in his preferred color?  :)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2022, 03:28:54 pm »
My partner never really bonded with the Macan, although admittedly that has a lot to do with the colour  ;D

So that's at least the second vehicle here that's getting traded for that reason  :D

I'd laugh, but we spent about two years longer than I would have looking at a replacement vehicles because my partner was 'Don't like it'. Why? 'Just don't'

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2022, 03:37:48 pm »
My partner never really bonded with the Macan, although admittedly that has a lot to do with the colour  ;D

So that's at least the second vehicle here that's getting traded for that reason  :D

I'd laugh, but we spent about two years longer than I would have looking at a replacement vehicles because my partner was 'Don't like it'. Why? 'Just don't'
I am in the same boat with my GF, very strong "NO, I just dont like it."

Stelvio is a good drive for the segment, on par with the Macan for dynamics and they are much more reliable than people give them credit for. We have 2 here as loaners, and they are popular with customers and have not malfunctioned one bit (4cyl). My GF loved her drive in one, and she is looking forward to the Tonale that much more now.

Good thing is Alfa is desperate for sales, so they will deal in order to get you into the car. Lease rates might not be best, but cash on hood solves that.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2022, 04:07:44 pm »
So you're thinking the handling/drive of the Stelvio will be superior (enough to notice) on the street?

The 4 banger of the Stelvio is enough for me to dismiss it. The Macan sixes have a pretty nice soundtrack. And if the warranty is done, a stage 1 tune might be in order to fall in love all over again.

Is the warranty up on the Porsche yet?

I definitely don't think the Stelvio will be superior, just that it will be good enough for me to still enjoy it while making the compromise.   I have zero interest in getting rid of the Macan, and it still has 4 years of warranty, I'd keep it for a long time if it were just me driving it.  Although I have to admit the Alfa sales guy on the phone did a great job of raising my curiosity on how much the drive differs from the Macan.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve, '04 G35 Coupe 6MT
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2022, 04:09:37 pm »
PM sent  ;D
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2022, 04:10:12 pm »

Good thing is Alfa is desperate for sales, so they will deal in order to get you into the car. Lease rates might not be best, but cash on hood solves that.

I hope that's true, it won't happen if there's a huge cost difference, the macan only has 18K km's on it and had a much higher sales price when new

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2022, 04:11:21 pm »
I tell you guys, even in the newer models, Alfas have this quality that gets under your skin compared to the competion. Call it soul or passion or whatever, but it is just plain "exciting" to drive them even in a mundane fashion.

Until you drive / own an Alfa, you just cannot understand.  :P

God I miss mine...  :'(

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2022, 04:12:47 pm »
If I wanted something with a hatch, fun engine, and good handling, there’s only one choice.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mercedes-benz/c-class/richmond/british%20columbia/5_50858874_20190108130223953/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&showVs=1&orup=1_2_2&pc=E3A%209R6&sprx=-1&modalXS=1

Mind you my significant other hates wagons so I’m just going to assume the same here.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2022, 04:17:12 pm »
I tell you guys, even in the newer models, Alfas have this quality that gets under your skin compared to the competion. Call it soul or passion or whatever, but it is just plain "exciting" to drive them even in a mundane fashion.

Until you drive / own an Alfa, you just cannot understand.  :P

God I miss mine...  :'(

That's essentially what he was saying and did a good job of it without sounding salesy.  It also helped that he's so familiar with Macan's and what they offer