Author Topic: Test Drive: 2017 Fiat Abarth 124 Spider  (Read 5860 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2017 Fiat Abarth 124 Spider
« on: August 10, 2017, 11:30:45 am »
Could be wilder.
Read more...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Test Drive: 2017 Fiat Abarth 124 Spider
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:02:26 pm »
not sure why such a nice looking car has such a weaksauce engine...Hyundai/Kia should buy these and drop their 2.0T in it.  ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:47 pm »
Or the Civic R motor!  :run: ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 12:14:28 pm »
pretty much every other turbo mill out there...i know the MX-5 is good as it is, but to differentiate the Fiat, give it something to really make it stand out...ok, i've decided...Hellcat it. ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 12:38:41 pm »
pretty much every other turbo mill out there...i know the MX-5 is good as it is, but to differentiate the Fiat, give it something to really make it stand out...ok, i've decided...Hellcat it. ;D

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 12:22:03 pm »
I appreciated this review a lot more than recent autotrader.ca reviews...probably because it's honest.  Particularly the last paragraph, stating the obvious - these cars don't exist in a vacuum, and there are always other great choices on the market.  The Fiat may be a very fun car, but at almost 50K  ???  FCA is on crack  with that pricing.

Lately the autotrader.ca reviews have been trending noticeably towards the "puff piece" end of the automotive journalism spectrum (today's F250 "review" being a timely example).  Glad to see Jeff injecting some honesty back into the site.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:30:58 pm »
I appreciated this review a lot more than recent autotrader.ca reviews...probably because it's honest.  Particularly the last paragraph, stating the obvious - these cars don't exist in a vacuum, and there are always other great choices on the market.  The Fiat may be a very fun car, but at almost 50K  ???  FCA is on crack  with that pricing.

Lately the autotrader.ca reviews have been trending noticeably towards the "puff piece" end of the automotive journalism spectrum (today's F250 "review" being a timely example).  Glad to see Jeff injecting some honesty back into the site.

X2  :thumbup:

I've stopped reading many of the reviews since the Autotrader era began.  :(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:34:51 pm by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 12:43:05 pm »

X2  :thumbup:

I've stopped reading many of the reviews since the Autotrader era began. :(

Me too...I still find the comments from forum members the better read overall.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
Hmmm, let's see: Same contributors, same editing team - same general tone of content.
I think you guys are just predetermining your reads based on something you thought would happen when we changed the URL prefix from autos.ca...
Go read my Ducati Scrambler piece if you don't think we criticise things anymore...
I should point out too - the "autoTRADER era" is a good six years old by now.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 12:54:40 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 01:14:08 pm »
I do like the looks of the Abarth version.  The flat black hood & trunk lid look good.
The rude exhaust of the 500 Abarth is an idiotic omission.

That $50K price tag would explain why I've never seen one on the road, or any other 124.
Seen plenty of other ND MX-5's though

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 01:25:53 pm »
Hmmm, let's see: Same contributors, same editing team - same general tone of content.
I think you guys are just predetermining your reads based on something you thought would happen when we changed the URL prefix from autos.ca...
Go read my Ducati Scrambler piece if you don't think we criticise things anymore...

What's a Ducati Scrambler?  ???

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 01:28:14 pm »

You'd know if you read the site ;) :D

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 02:03:48 pm »

This is what I came out with when I googled it:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 04:03:22 pm »
let me share my two cents, as my recent shopping with my parents opened my eyes a bit.

while many review sites blather on about HP, TQ, 0-60 times, how many G's it can handle on an onramp, IRS vs torsion beam, limited slip diffs, etc...the reality is, main stream buyers don't care about almost all of it, and likely many don't even know what they are or what they do...while we go on about HP and TQ numbers, and 0-60 times (to a lesser degree), no one actually drives like that on streets (at least on a regular basis, or you'd be pretty good friends with your local constabulary)...as i was researching and getting as much knowledge about potential vehicles to assist my parents in helping them get what they wanted/needed, i was inundated with specs, packages, and pricing...personally, i liked it...my mother made a rough checklist of "must have's" and "would like's"...i was essentially a spec sheet warrior, on a mission to help show them a "top ten" list of vehicles that met their requirements, which they could then without down to a top 3, to eventually choose the best one for them.

on my first day with my mother, i realized it was all in vein...most of the stuff i was thinking about (which is what we read about and often discuss in here) played little or no part in her decision...the actual HP and TQ numbers themselves meant nothing, what was important was how it drove (in terms of feel, ease of parking, visibility, etc)...safety features were talked about (smart cruise control, auto braking, blind spot monitoring, automatic LED lighting, etc)...convenience features were discussed (power hatch, height adjustable passenger seat, 360 camera and parking sensors, smart key, auto climate control and heated steering wheel/seats)...while they weren't big on infotainment itself (it was inevitable at the trims they were looking at), the ease of use and screen quality would certainly be a big plus...then, there were other things that came out, like being able to lift the hood with ease (always easy for us, but for a 5 foot tall, 70 year old lady with a mediocre shoulder, not so much)...the load floor height...the front and rear overhang length and height (so as not to hit the "sidewalk" in their underground parking lot).

in finishing, while some articles may seem like "fluff pieces", they are likely written to cater more to the mainstream shopper, who doesn't know what a torque is, nor what the actual number would really mean anyway...they want to read about how it "glides over broken pavement and absorbs the bumps with ease", not know about the physics behind magnetic ride suspension...they want to know the transmission shifts smoothly, not hear how the DSG can fire off lightning quick shifts faster than your typical Nascar racer does...they want to know the vehicle is easy to drive and park, not about how it's LSD provides effortless drifting while you pile on speed on the onramp, all while shrouding those behind you in a gray-blue smoke compliments of the $25 worth of rubber you just melted off your tires...i enjoy the articles both ways...for the kid in me, and for the realist, knowing that most buyers aren't "us".

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 10:01:18 am »
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. 

I wonder if one reason it may seem like my peers and I have little negative to say for many of the vehicles we review these days is because the manufacturers are doing a really, really good job for the most part.  The hardest reviews to write are the ones where the machine lives up to expectations (mine, or the general population's).  "Hey, this Brand X Superwagon really is super.  And it's a wagon!  Umm... what else can I tell ya?"  If something doesn't stand out as being particularly horrible or surprisingly brilliant, then it kind of just ... is. 

Now I need to go look for Jacob's Scrambler story...

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 10:31:55 am »
great looker, needs the 500 Abarth exhaust and a power bump to 200hp [easy for the 1.4T] to be what it is supposed to be. Those omissions are just stupid and are probably crippling sales almost as much as the high pricing.

overpriced and under-equipped. I would get a second hand one and tune the snot out of it. New? Forget it.

you guys know it is bad when FIC slappy Chaos has criticisms...  :rofl2:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 10:33:03 am »
I do wonder who FCA is targeting the 124 (particularly the Abarth) to...
Doesn't appear to be the 'enthusiast' driver, since they muted the 500's rude noises
I tell ya, if it made the same noises as the 500, I may very well have spent the dough on one of these... as it is, MX-5 all the way..

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:39:56 am »
I do wonder who FCA is targeting the 124 (particularly the Abarth) to...
Doesn't appear to be the 'enthusiast' driver, since they muted the 500's rude noises
I tell ya, if it made the same noises as the 500, I may very well have spent the dough on one of these... as it is, MX-5 all the way..

yeah stupid decision on their part - they should have gone with the full uncorked Italian sports car experience - a mini Ferrari etc.

great base, great bits..and then a confusing marketing / management department neutered it to be a "cruiser" rather than a back road stormer. Massive mistake. Idiots.

Easily fixed in the aftermarket, but that should NOT be necessary.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 12:10:15 pm »
I wonder if one reason it may seem like my peers and I have little negative to say for many of the vehicles we review these days is because the manufacturers are doing a really, really good job for the most part.

Absolutely right Jeff.  With very few exceptions, new vehicles today are really well done.  So I don't expect a car review to crap all over a new car, as it's probably a very good vehicle.  The problem is, that vehicle doesn't exist in isolation (which is how many reviews treat it).  It competes in a marketplace with many other vehicles that are really, really good too.   

I think that's why the comparison tests are so popular on this site - in virtually all comparos, none of the vehicles are "dogs" (well, haven't seen a Mirage comparo yet...  ;))  But the comparison tests highlight the relative strength and weaknesses of the car relative to its peers.  So rather than a 1st drive review of a vehicle highlighting the "smooth ride and composed handling", the comparison test identifies "vehicle X has a pretty smooth ride, but the Canyonero (with its no-bump Hercules tires :D) is a bit smoother.
 And if handling is your priority, vehicle X is very flat and neutral, but vehicle Y has better steering feel and grip..."

I'm sure the auto MNFRs don't want the reviewers making a bunch of comparisons to competitors in the test drive of their brand new vehicle (unless those comparisons are positive, of course).   But for the autotrader.ca readers - whether serious auto enthusiasts or casual readers researching a new vehicle - I think acknowledging the broader automotive marketplace is really appreciated in a vehicle review (just as Jeff did here).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:30 pm »
Loved it, Jeff!!

To the criticism of the articles, I personally put a lot of effort to make whatever I write fun to read. I'm sure my colleagues do a better job in every way, but none are "puff pieces".  We say what we generally feel is true.  Some cars that are POSs in your mind come across as exceeding expectations to others.

Hell, I am not GM slappy and I rated the Cruze very well. It surprised me how good of a car it was and how far the lineage has come.  GM neither paid me, nor spoke to me about the article. I had nothing to gain.  I wrote it to entertain, and I hope I did just that.

Jeff is a far better and more experienced writer than I, but what makes his pieces fantastic is the cohesiveness and wit he exudes throughout. It has nothing to do with being critical of a Fiat.

Thanks again, Jeff!