Author Topic: photo upload, can't do any file greater than 1 mb?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
photo upload, can't do any file greater than 1 mb?
« on: October 08, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »
in the attachment, restriction says 10 attachment per post, total 10 MB,
but can't attach anything greater than 1 mb, or file sizes totaling 1 mb.  is this going to stay like this?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: photo upload, can't do any file greater than 1 mb?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:07:56 pm »
in the attachment, restriction says 10 attachment per post, total 10 MB,
but can't attach anything greater than 1 mb, or file sizes totaling 1 mb.  is this going to stay like this?
It's been like that for some time now.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:12:09 pm »
Just use a graphics program to reduce the physical size of the pictures. I use paint.net or gimp2, but there are lots of other free ones and perhaps windows paint can do it too, dunno about that.

ltruong

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:13 am »
I reduce them with lightroom….

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:52:48 pm »
On my laptop i find it easiest to right-click on the photo and select send-to mail recipient, then rename and save the image in the smaller format.  Simple. 

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:52:58 am »
I ran into that over a year ago, I think.  Wing (James) answered and explained the little gotcha of 1 MB max per photo.

I use "Photos" and/or "Preview" on my Mac to export to a smaller JPEG file.  Works fine. 

One thing I might do is to open an account with one of those photo sharing sites.  Any recommendations?  Free is best but if the cost is low (ideally less that $50 per year), I'd consider paying for the enhanced features, assuming they exist and are worth it.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 12:34:04 pm »
I ran into that over a year ago, I think.  Wing (James) answered and explained the little gotcha of 1 MB max per photo.

I use "Photos" and/or "Preview" on my Mac to export to a smaller JPEG file.  Works fine. 

One thing I might do is to open an account with one of those photo sharing sites.  Any recommendations?  Free is best but if the cost is low (ideally less that $50 per year), I'd consider paying for the enhanced features, assuming they exist and are worth it.

Google Photos is free.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 09:58:06 am »

I switched to imgur after photobucket died. It's free and it works,.

Photobucket didn't die, they just decided to hold all of our photos hostage unless you paid them $300 a year.  I have have hundreds of broken links.
I'm using Postimage now,  fully expect them to do the same in a couple of years.  >:(
Mr Pickypants

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:50:46 pm »

Google Photos is free.

Thanks all for posting.  I'll check out the sites soon.

Last time I checked, you could no longer embed images with Google photo services.  I used to use their "Picasa" site but that seems to have gone the way of the dodo.  I tried to use Google Photos but could not embed the photos on other sites (such as this one) once the photos were there.  Embedding, rather than posting a link, is key here.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 12:55:35 pm »
Works for me.

What I do is open the image in a new tab and take the link from there. I think if you use the regular link it won't work. If that made sense.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 04:13:50 pm »
Just found out that Flickr is frakked,  come the new year they will be deleting all photos over 1000 unless you pay them.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 05:07:08 pm »
Just found out that Flickr is frakked,  come the new year they will be deleting all photos over 1000 unless you pay them.

Good to know. While I haven't used them in a long time I might still have some photos I need to move over to Google. Guess I better get on that sooner rather than later.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 09:05:49 am »

By "1000," do you mean quantity or size?  I have 50-100 pics on there, but they are big files.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 09:46:36 pm »

By "1000," do you mean quantity or size?  I have 50-100 pics on there, but they are big files.

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos.
Flickr Pro is $50USD a year, plus 30% off your first year if you sign up now and gives you unlimited.  Still a lot more reasonable than Photobucket

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 03:20:16 pm »
Works for me.

What I do is open the image in a new tab and take the link from there. I think if you use the regular link it won't work. If that made sense.

OK, here is a test of opening my Google photo archive and then opening an image in a new tab, followed by copying the link:

Edit:  seems to work.  Thanks Quad!   :thumbup: :banana:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 03:31:20 pm »
Works for me.

OK, here is a test of opening my Google photo archive and then opening an image in a new tab, followed by copying the link:

Don't see a picture

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »

Glad it worked as I can see it.

ltruong

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2019, 10:23:45 am »
How do you guys reduce photo quality on you Andriod phone.  At home i use Lightroom. But it get annoying transfing to my desktop all the time.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:44 am »
How do you guys reduce photo quality on you Andriod phone.  At home i use Lightroom. But it get annoying transfing to my desktop all the time.

"Photo & Picture Resizer" app