Author Topic: New Lotus Emira  (Read 45764 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
New Lotus Emira
« on: July 07, 2021, 07:55:35 am »
Certainly looks the part.  :drool: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1H_Wd1tN-A

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: New Lotus Emira
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2021, 08:58:48 am »
manual, great sounding supercharged v6...I like
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 09:21:04 am »
I'd get the one with the AMG engine, even though it's a 4 banger.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2021, 09:34:09 am »
no manual on that one, if I read correctly

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 10:15:12 am »
That's a gorgeous car!  I'm surprised it's the first I've heard of it, something I would seriously consider when it comes.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 11:31:21 am »
No it's a dual clutch transmission with the AMG engine.

Something that really appeals to me is the inclusion of hydraulic steering.  This truly will be a special handling and feeling car.  It's not going to be the fastest to 60, but it likely will be the most fun around the track.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 11:39:20 am »
I honestly hope these get bought in droves, every one they can make. Lotus seems one of the last hopes to preserve the joy of driving for those that enjoy such a thing.

If I was in the market, and had the money, this would be very high on my shopping list.

Maserati MC20 just got slapped.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 11:56:11 am »
I hear starting at 60K pounds in the UK so hopefully under $100K CAD, for the base anyway. Looks great!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 12:06:37 pm »
I honestly hope these get bought in droves, every one they can make. Lotus seems one of the last hopes to preserve the joy of driving for those that enjoy such a thing.

If I was in the market, and had the money, this would be very high on my shopping list.

Maserati MC20 just got slapped.
Unfortunately this might be their last internal combustion engine vehicle that they produce.  They are said to be going full electric going forward.  So I could see these holding their value extremely well over time.   

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 12:28:20 pm »

Something that really appeals to me is the inclusion of hydraulic steering.  This truly will be a special handling and feeling car.  It's not going to be the fastest to 60, but it likely will be the most fun around the track.

I'm fine with flappy paddle.

It IS their last ICE car for sure, and should handle very well indeed.

I bet it will be $110K+ here no problem, maybe even over $120K.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 12:31:52 pm »

As much as that AMG engine will likely produce better numbers, I'd rather have the Toyota V6 and supercharger, plus a proper manual.  It's not like Lotus has been known to be the most reliable, so adding an AMG engine and transmission won't improve that.

This is supposed to compete with the Porsche Cayman S and BMW M2, so realistically I think we can hope for a price around that $85K-$90K range.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2021, 12:35:15 pm »

As much as that AMG engine will likely produce better numbers, I'd rather have the Toyota V6 and supercharger, plus a proper manual.  It's not like Lotus has been known to be the most reliable, so adding an AMG engine and transmission won't improve that.

This is supposed to compete with the Porsche Cayman S and BMW M2, so realistically I think we can hope for a price around that $85K-$90K range.

Adding an AMG engine won't make it worse IMHO, each to their own.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2021, 12:38:26 pm »

I wasn't saying "worse" I was saying less reliable.  It's a personal decision of course, I like larger engines, reliability, and manual transmissions over all out performance stats.  To each their own.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2021, 12:56:52 pm »
Possibly. It's a moot point anyway, as neither of us are going to own one.  ;D :P

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2021, 01:09:33 pm »
To be fair though, if I was in the market for a Porsche of any kind, I'd be all over this instead.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 01:19:48 pm »
Possibly. It's a moot point anyway, as neither of us are going to own one.  ;D :P
Well you might be correct, but this new Lotus checks off a lot of boxes for me personally.  If this comes to our shores at a price point closer to the $80K mark, and my investments do well enough over the next 3 years, and I completely lose my mind, maybe I go full midlife crisis and buy one.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 01:22:00 pm »
Well you might be correct, but this new Lotus checks off a lot of boxes for me personally.  If this comes to our shores at a price point closer to the $80K mark, and my investments do well enough over the next 3 years, and I completely lose my mind, maybe I go full midlife crisis and buy one.

LOL, so that's a no then.  :rofl2:

Got mine configurated!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 01:24:09 pm »

I wasn't saying "worse" I was saying less reliable.  It's a personal decision of course, I like larger engines, reliability, and manual transmissions over all out performance stats.  To each their own.

Yeah, the supercharged Toyota V6 definitely sounds like the winner for me. Reliability, power and a manual, yes please. The German 4 banger, yeah no bro.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 01:31:03 pm »

Yeah, the supercharged Toyota V6 definitely sounds like the winner for me. Reliability, power and a manual, yes please. The German 4 banger, yeah no bro.

OK fine, you changed my mind. V6 manual for me too.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2021, 01:32:18 pm »
Ok, I'm going to configure mine in about 25 different ways on the website and wont order one....with or without the sketchy 4 banger  ;D