Author Topic: The "what's in my driveway this week?" Show 'n Shine  (Read 42645 times)

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
Re: The "what's in my driveway this week?" Show 'n Shine
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2017, 12:44:40 pm »
Just saw a white G90 in a parking lot of LA Fitness last night.  Are you going to get one of those on your driveway soon?

I have a pre-production unit at my disposal but don't drive it too often. I spent a lot of time with it last year prior to the launch. It's a phenomenal car, but it's a little... big for my needs. I'll grab one in the next few weeks and shoot some photos.

I have been driving something else, though... A big part of the Genesis brand is the availability of at-home service. Whether it's for an initial test drive, the actual purchase of the vehicle, or maintenance (which is included for 5 years) - we come to you. Even as our brick-and-mortar locations are built (first one opens its doors in Toronto next week!), this will remain a key option. To help promote this, we've built 3 of these truck and trailer assemblies that will be used for vehicle deliveries and events in the Toronto and Montreal markets.

They're currently being used internally for promotional projects. The tow vehicle is a debadged 2017 Silverado 2500 HD with the big Duramax diesel (910 lb-ft of torque!) and the custom trailer is 31' long with a full air suspension and vehicle lift, plus a little kitchenette in the front. The sides are lexan which allows a clear view of the car being transported, and there's full LED interior lighting to make it a big of a rolling showcase.

Since this is ultimately about driving, a few words on the truck... Naturally we won't make something that can tow 15,000+ lb, hence the Chevrolet. These work-truck spec Silverado units are pretty cool. As noted, 910 lb-ft of torque, which is cool. But what's most surprising is how refined it is - it's pretty comfortable even unladen and has remote keyless entry, power windows, and even a touch-screen with Apple CarPlay. Credit where credit is due, it's a hell of a lot of vehicle for the price we paid. Fun fact: after towing ~10,000 lb of car and trailer, once you disconnect the truck it feels as light as a Miata!

As this is just a tool for us, we wrapped it in matte black vinyl (from its factory refrigerator white), put in our logos and URLs, and stripped every badge except the one on the front.

So when are they hitting the lots?

They've been out for weeks! Doug already owns one  ;)
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2017, 12:47:33 pm »
Nice!  :D

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2017, 12:47:59 pm »
Very cool, thanks for sharing!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2017, 01:19:11 pm »
That's a great setup with the trailer. I would like to see an event at Dundas Square in downtown. Any plans to be there this summer? It has LOTS of foot traffic!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2017, 04:25:06 pm »

Wait? What? Are we still talking about the new Elantra GT hatch? I can't even find it on the website.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2017, 04:34:05 pm »
Cool trailer idea, Patrick. I think it will be huge for marketing.  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 24, 2017, 04:51:56 pm »

Wait? What? Are we still talking about the new Elantra GT hatch? I can't even find it on the website.

Oh sorry, I meant the sedan. Late summer for the hatch!

Agreed! It's really honed my trailering skills, too. Backing up a 31' trailer with no camera or sensor assistance, with enormous blind spots, teaches good situational awareness.  ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #127 on: May 24, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
That trailer is super cool.

ltruong

« Reply #128 on: May 24, 2017, 07:11:35 pm »

Oh sorry, I meant the sedan. Late summer for the hatch!

Agreed! It's really honed my trailering skills, too. Backing up a 31' trailer with no camera or sensor assistance, with enormous blind spots, teaches good situational awareness.  ;)

Y'a i was asking for the GT.  I already drove the sedan.... very nice car

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 24, 2017, 08:26:00 pm »

Fun fact: after towing ~10,000 lb of car and trailer, once you disconnect the truck it feels as light as a Miata!

Real nice trailer, I love it!
Question: Can't a back-up camera be install to make your life easier, same as seen on RV?

In a previous life, I drove a class 3 straight flat bed truck with a hiab https://www.hiab.com/en-US/HIAB/ handler to manipulate certified weight (10,000 kg load on the flat bed) to calibrate truck scale. Long story short, the Freighliner feel & drive like a light duty pick-up without those 10,000kg on top of it!  ;D
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2017, 08:31:42 pm »

Just like Tommy Ivo's trailer in the 60s.   ;D

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2017, 09:05:51 pm »

I have been driving something else, though... A big part of the Genesis brand is the availability of at-home service. Whether it's for an initial test drive, the actual purchase of the vehicle, or maintenance (which is included for 5 years) - we come to you. Even as our brick-and-mortar locations are built (first one opens its doors in Toronto next week!), this will remain a key option. To help promote this, we've built 3 of these truck and trailer assemblies that will be used for vehicle deliveries and events in the Toronto and Montreal markets.

They're currently being used internally for promotional projects. The tow vehicle is a debadged 2017 Silverado 2500 HD with the big Duramax diesel (910 lb-ft of torque!) and the custom trailer is 31' long with a full air suspension and vehicle lift, plus a little kitchenette in the front. The sides are lexan which allows a clear view of the car being transported, and there's full LED interior lighting to make it a big of a rolling showcase.

That is fantastic. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2017, 09:52:14 pm »

Just like Tommy Ivo's trailer in the 60s.   ;D

TV Tommy Ivo.
Railton

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2017, 08:09:56 am »
^pretty cool how he had the 2 dragsters in that truck & the Vette on the roof!!

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »
OK so not quite in my driveway, but this week I spent some time downtown at our first-ever Genesis showroom - aptly named Genesis Downtown. It's at 630 Queen St. E, just east of the DVP. This small "boutique" showroom is a temporary location until the giant autoplex (7 dealers in one huge building) is complete across the road next year. Still, it's exciting to see a physical location for the new brand. We have 4 more such boutiques coming this year, including in Mississauga, Montreal, and Vancouver.

Also finally got behind the wheel of the new Elantra GT...

...with a proper manual gearbox! :drive:

It's got a lovely shift action, probably the best we've ever done. Dare I say, approaching Mazda's FWD gearbox quality. I think I'm in love with this car.

As for the next little while, in just over a week I'm off to Korea to drive some extremely cool new stuff. Can't wait to share more on that front next year.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2017, 06:27:17 pm »
Nice!

How do you get the cars up those stairs?   ???   ;D

The shape of the Elantra from that angle reminds me of my CX-3.  Maybe it's the long hood.  Love the colour on the shifter!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2017, 06:49:34 pm »
Nice!

How do you get the cars up those stairs?   ???   ;D

The shape of the Elantra from that angle reminds me of my CX-3.  Maybe it's the long hood.  Love the colour on the shifter!
You are about to get :censor: for comparing it to a Mazda , I did that and got stumped on   :rofl:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2017, 06:59:13 pm »
You are about to get :censor: for comparing it to a Mazda , I did that and got stumped on   :rofl:

He said Mazda first!  (About the gearbox!)   :rofl2:

I hope the ECU lasts beyond 8 years.   ;D.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2017, 07:23:25 pm »
That red shift knob is cool as hell.  And the whole car looks really crisp.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2017, 07:52:51 pm »

He said Mazda first!  (About the gearbox!)   :rofl2:

I hope the ECU lasts beyond 8 years.   ;D.

Only coz it's made of aluminum, unlike the rest of the Mazda  :P