Author Topic: Show 'n Shine x3 - Catch-Up Edition  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: Show 'n Shine x3 - Catch-Up Edition
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2024, 07:09:36 pm »
Kings Red is a gorgeous colour.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2024, 07:12:06 pm »
I wish I had a job where I could get a cheap deal on a new car every few months! They look great.

Would you ever choose to keep one of these manual performance VW's longer term?  I know that these are pretty much all job perks, but surely you are able to buy one of them out and keep longer term.

I'm just thinking the end of the road for manual performance VW's is here and if you wanted to keep one in your driveway beyond this year.

A popular topic of discussion in the office these days is exactly that - who among us is going to buy a GTI or Golf R at the end of this year before the final manuals roll off the line. Guessing there will be at least a dozen. Thankfully we get quite a nice discount.

I'm personally undecided at this stage in my life. So busy with young kids that it's hard to justify parking $50K+ for something I might not use as often as I'd like. What's more, as much as I adore these, it's not like I won't have one next year... it'll just be two pedals. So if I were to buy a toy car, I might look for something older/cheaper/more raw.

We'll see. I have plenty of time to decide.
I get that but also, it’s now or never.  The chance of another manual VW to hit our shores is low and it would also hold some value of remembering and showing your kids some of the “good old days” of cars you had a hand to create.

Sure you will have new ones, but they won’t be like this, manual ICE again.

Then again, I feel like the peak for GTI and Golf R was MK7.5.

I get what you're saying, but its not now or never.  A person can buy a used one down the road, albeit more difficult to find a cream puff.  However, they aren't disappearing off the face of the earth.

Funny enough, I just went through this process in my head last weekend. Drove a few MK8 Golf Rs (DSG and 6-speed). Great car, and I really enjoyed the drive in the 6-speed car. In any event, I ended up ordering a new Prius Prime  :rofl2: Weird comparison to the Golf R I know...but I just felt the Prius was a better DD for my use case. I figured I would be able to get an R later on if I wanted to go that route. Also part of me would maybe consider a MK7.5 instead.

For what it is worth, the VW dealers seem to have a ton of new stock of Rs. I think they had at least 6 brand new MK8 Rs in stock several of which were 6-speed cars, with more on the way in the coming months from what the dealer indicated to me.

Interesting. I thought there were long waits for GTIs and Rs, at least in Ontario?

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2024, 07:38:34 pm »
I wish I had a job where I could get a cheap deal on a new car every few months! They look great.

Would you ever choose to keep one of these manual performance VW's longer term?  I know that these are pretty much all job perks, but surely you are able to buy one of them out and keep longer term.

I'm just thinking the end of the road for manual performance VW's is here and if you wanted to keep one in your driveway beyond this year.

A popular topic of discussion in the office these days is exactly that - who among us is going to buy a GTI or Golf R at the end of this year before the final manuals roll off the line. Guessing there will be at least a dozen. Thankfully we get quite a nice discount.

I'm personally undecided at this stage in my life. So busy with young kids that it's hard to justify parking $50K+ for something I might not use as often as I'd like. What's more, as much as I adore these, it's not like I won't have one next year... it'll just be two pedals. So if I were to buy a toy car, I might look for something older/cheaper/more raw.

I get that but also, it’s now or never.  The chance of another manual VW to hit our shores is low and it would also hold some value of remembering and showing your kids some of the “good old days” of cars you had a hand to create.

I get what you're saying, but its not now or never.  A person can buy a used one down the road, albeit more difficult to find a cream puff.  However, they aren't disappearing off the face of the earth.

Funny enough, I just went through this process in my head last weekend. Drove a few MK8 Golf Rs (DSG and 6-speed). Great car, and I really enjoyed the drive in the 6-speed car. In any event, I ended up ordering a new Prius Prime  :rofl2: Weird comparison to the Golf R I know...but I just felt the Prius was a better DD for my use case. I figured I would be able to get an R later on if I wanted to go that route. Also part of me would maybe consider a MK7.5 instead.

For what it is worth, the VW dealers seem to have a ton of new stock of Rs. I think they had at least 6 brand new MK8 Rs in stock several of which were 6-speed cars, with more on the way in the coming months from what the dealer indicated to me.

Interesting. I thought there were long waits for GTIs and Rs, at least in Ontario?

I guess production must have caught up. Could also be that the higher interest rates are slowing sales down.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-103
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2024, 10:16:45 pm »

I guess production must have caught up. Could also be that the higher interest rates are slowing sales down.

No slow down to speak of, we’ll set sales records with them this year if all goes well. Production finally coming back fully online. We’ve been considerably undersupplied since launch until about November last year. Now pedal to the metal.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2024, 10:32:39 pm »
Sweet Patrick.  Nice rides.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2024, 10:35:12 pm »

Can't comment on the GTI, but the MK8 Golf R handles significantly better than the MK7.5 R.  Not to mention it is an order of magnitude quicker.  That rear diff from the RS3 is no joke.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 08:49:06 am »
I've always liked the Golf...if you ever see a need to do a give-away I'll be waiting with bells on.  Must be manual and I'll take the cloth seats too.  Don't need heat on cloth. Kings red is good...or blue...beggars can't be choosers!  ;D

My question would always be...would you keep a VW long term, ever?  I hadn't realized how grown up the Tiguan has become.  There's a gorgeous looking white SUV in town, looks very upscale...like an Audi...finally got a good look at it, and huh! It's, it's...it's a TIGUAN!?? (explains the Audie-esque-ness of it I guess)  And all winter I'm thinking what is that and damn that looks nice...only to find out it's a VW...and then wondering...did this young lady make a mistake?  At least it's pretty.

They've come a long way from this CRV inspired look...

To this...(similar if not exact - not sure about the wheels but the thing looks nice)