Author Topic: Ridgeline is a lemon, time to go truck shopping!!  (Read 3340 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Ridgeline is a lemon, time to go truck shopping!!
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2024, 01:38:12 pm »
While at a Toyota dealer looking at Tundras....I got talked into driving a new Tacoma. Gotta say, the interior improvements are very welcome. You no longer need to be a lollipop guild member to drive/sit in a Taco. Its actually given me second thoughts now as the Taco would fit into my garage and the Tundra would not. Anyways, news update about the Ridgeline, had a hissy fit this morning while driving on a high speed route, Henday, dash lit up, truck immediately went into limp mode, I barely got to the shoulder and the :censor: shut down on me. I got it restarted and it was running on I would say 3-4 cylinders. Called my dealer, they sent a tow truck, I am now at work waiting to hear what they found. I cannot wait to get rid of this POS.

That sucks. Wish things had worked out for you, because I think the Ridgeline is a great product.

Do they have much inventory available of Tacomas? Any markups?

I would never talk bad about the RL, I know mine is an outsider and overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, when it wasn't in the shop. I've seen tons of Tacos at dealers around, I don't think finding one will be an issue, finding one in blue might be, as the imaginative dealers have three colours available, black, white and orange

You are going non-hybrid I assume if you go with the Tacoma?

Yeah, dumping $70k plus for a Taco for me would be insanity....hell, even the $60k the one I want cost is ridiculous for a 1/4 ton truck in my mind.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2024, 01:51:55 pm »
While at a Toyota dealer looking at Tundras....I got talked into driving a new Tacoma. Gotta say, the interior improvements are very welcome. You no longer need to be a lollipop guild member to drive/sit in a Taco. Its actually given me second thoughts now as the Taco would fit into my garage and the Tundra would not. Anyways, news update about the Ridgeline, had a hissy fit this morning while driving on a high speed route, Henday, dash lit up, truck immediately went into limp mode, I barely got to the shoulder and the :censor: shut down on me. I got it restarted and it was running on I would say 3-4 cylinders. Called my dealer, they sent a tow truck, I am now at work waiting to hear what they found. I cannot wait to get rid of this POS.

That sucks. Wish things had worked out for you, because I think the Ridgeline is a great product.

I would never talk bad about the RL, I know mine is an outsider and overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it, when it wasn't in the shop. I've seen tons of Tacos at dealers around, I don't think finding one will be an issue, finding one in blue might be, as the imaginative dealers have three colours available, black, white and orange

Yeah, dumping $70k plus for a Taco for me would be insanity....hell, even the $60k the one I want cost is ridiculous for a 1/4 ton truck in my mind.

Yeah, pricing is nuts. I wish more models had full-time 4WD mode as well.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2024, 01:54:33 pm »
If you're going to deal with the downsides of a 1/4 ton truck, other than the garageability, may as well have another reason to go with one.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2024, 02:00:07 pm »
If you're going to deal with the downsides of a 1/4 ton truck, other than the garageability, may as well have another reason to go with one.  ;D

I already looked at that, if I want the Lords transmission, you have to equip a truck about as well as a Somalian bus stop. I want heated and cooled seats and a heated wheel  ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2024, 02:24:33 pm »
Just looking at the build and price and the TRD Sport with manual can be had with heated steering wheel and seats.  I think a manual would redeem the lack of a V8 in my book.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2024, 02:40:32 pm »

I already looked at that, if I want the Lords transmission, you have to equip a truck about as well as a Somalian bus stop. I want heated and cooled seats and a heated wheel  ;D

The only non-hybrid trim that comes with ventilated seats and a 6' bed is the TRD Sport Premium.  Looking forward to the pics  ;)

Actually I don't think any hybrids come with 6' bed either.  So I think you're limited to the TRD Sport Premium. 

Edit:  The Trailhunter does, but $86k. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 02:42:50 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2024, 02:44:39 pm »

The only non-hybrid trim that comes with ventilated seats and a 6' bed is the TRD Sport Premium.  Looking forward to the pics  ;)

Actually I don't think any hybrids come with 6' bed either.  So I think you're limited to the TRD Sport Premium. 

Edit:  The Trailhunter does, but $86k.

I looked at the trailhunter, cool, but not $90k cool. I think I'm kind of stuck on the TRD Sport premium because of the equipment and box size I want.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: bugatti
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2024, 02:55:58 pm »
Jesus,  those are big numbers for a Tacoma.   
too bad for the Ridgeline being a POS.  it's disappointing from Honda.

if you're looking at 1/4 truck, what about the new Frontier? are they reliable?  looks like you don't really need rear space and they look nice.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 02:57:59 pm by WP v3.32 »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2024, 03:01:12 pm »

if you're looking at 1/4 truck, what about the new Frontier? are they reliable?  looks like you don't really need rear space and they look nice.

I knew the old Frontier was a decent truck, I just never think of Nissan.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2024, 03:04:04 pm »

I knew the old Frontier was a decent truck, I just never think of Nissan.

My front neighbor has a green one  and it looks really good.   

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2024, 03:58:26 pm »

In 2011 a Ridgeline EXL was about $43k.  $60k  13 years later doesn't seem that bad...

I would look at the Nissan if you are feeling cheap and a Taco if your not.  Or go buy a gen I Ridgeline.   ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2024, 04:02:15 pm »
The Nissan is a good looking truck, and comes with a proper NA V6. I had tested one when the current generation first came out, and while in typical Nissan fashion, the interior is about a decade behind where it should be, I enjoyed the truck. It drives and operates like a truck should, without a ton of gimmicks and frills. Lots of them here in Tennessee given Nissan's corporate and manufacturing presence.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2024, 05:56:49 pm »

You get heated seats and steering wheel with the TRD Sport like JohnnyMac mentioned. My partner has ventilated seats in her Soul and I also tried them in a Lexus IS250 I test drove once and it's a feature I can personally live without, even in the Okanagan. Maybe down in Phoenix where that sun hits so much harder.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2024, 06:02:57 pm »
No offence or in sanity here but what about a "garageable" FWD Hybrid Ford Maverick to replace your RL? Not a real pick-up but these days, everything is blur...

Motormouth seem to like it YT
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 06:09:12 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2024, 06:05:44 pm »
If Fob thinks his Ridgeline is an unreliable POS I'd like his take on EcoBoost. At least with Toyota there's a chance they'll stand behind their engineering.

Offline WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2024, 06:17:18 pm »
Has all the issues been fixed in the new Tundra V6 turbo?   if so I would just get that

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-96
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2024, 07:10:48 pm »
If Fob thinks his Ridgeline is an unreliable POS I'd like his take on EcoBoost. At least with Toyota there's a chance they'll stand behind their engineering.

Most people think the same would be expected from Honda, no? "Legendary reliability", yada, yada .....

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2024, 07:21:27 pm »
Honda reliability has slipped, but still in the top 5 most reliable brands according to CR for what it is worth:

1. Lexus
2. Toyota
3. Mini
4. Acura
5. Honda

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2024, 05:04:11 am »
I think this would work? :)

http://www.autotrader.ca/go/5-62270038
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2024, 07:05:44 am »
Honda reliability has slipped, but still in the top 5 most reliable brands according to CR for what it is worth:

1. Lexus
2. Toyota
3. Mini
4. Acura
5. Honda
I feel that list loses all credibility with Mini at number 3.  How in the world is that remotely possible?