Author Topic: How much should this cost?  (Read 5060 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: How much should this cost?
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2017, 07:58:37 pm »
my mom is saying no chance she is moving on to anyone else... only been a year though and she is only 64... time will tell i guess.

anywho... the shop definitely upsold the work... got the parts in a hurry from the local toyota/lexus store and bam. charged shop rate, book time... not criminal by any means, but definitely feels bad when you are on the receiving end of it...what they did is 100% according to procedures, but they have found a way to do it quicker than the book calls.... should they be rewarded, or should the customer? obviously, i lean toward the professional who has found a way to do things better should be rewarded... BUT they should be passing on a part of that to the consumer.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 08:03:36 pm »
This shop didn't find a quicker way - it's now common knowledge among techs that you don't need to R/R the engine and trans.  The book needs updating - it's a 13 hour difference!!

Even our local dealers now don't charge the full book for the job.  Same for the R/R the transfer case on the AWD Highlander/Sienna/RX - another job that can be done without removing the engine and trans contrary to the book.  That save 12 hours - a huge amount of billing.

This is one reason it's super important to find a tech that knows the brand you own.  They don't just look at the book.  They know what's up.

Offline 84im

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-81
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 BMW X1, 2003 Chevy Tracker, 1974 VW Dune Buggy, and 1974 VW Thing
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2017, 08:11:31 pm »
I feel your pain.  :'(

Thankfully, the truck was free.  ;D
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2017, 08:17:05 pm »
This shop didn't find a quicker way - it's now common knowledge among techs that you don't need to R/R the engine and trans.  The book needs updating - it's a 13 hour difference!!

Even our local dealers now don't charge the full book for the job.  Same for the R/R the transfer case on the AWD Highlander/Sienna/RX - another job that can be done without removing the engine and trans contrary to the book.  That save 12 hours - a huge amount of billing.

This is one reason it's super important to find a tech that knows the brand you own.  They don't just look at the book.  They know what's up.

Yep..the "book rate" is generally the "scam" rate.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2017, 08:28:12 pm »
I feel your pain.  :'(

Thankfully, the truck was free.  ;D

The thing that you ppl on the island have going good is that the bodies of vehicles last so rebuilding is not a total loser.  Here in Ontario, a 97 F150 would be not standing and $450 in oil lines would be money down the drain. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2017, 09:07:08 pm »
I didn't mean it in regards to your folks.
I know :cheers: