Author Topic: Real-world fuel consumption  (Read 957286 times)

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +40/-82
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale, 1989 Dodge B250 aka The BEAST.
Re: Real-world fuel consumption
« Reply #2700 on: January 14, 2017, 02:38:23 pm »
Bloody cold out.

I can agree there. -18C when I filled the van this morning and took 77 litres so was out there a while. :rofl2:

And the numbers are this tank: 32.81 km 100 litres/7.26 MPG(US)

And thought I'd check the Olds numbers as I filled it last week but never ran the numbers so went out to get the logbook and.......

18.41 l/100km (12.78 US MPG) so not too bad really considering it involved lots of full throttle wheelspin in the snow, doughnuts in the parking lot while waiting for my wife to get off work, sideways fun in general.......... :rofl2: Last year at this time I only averaged 10 mpg.  ;D

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 03:03:44 pm by Lower Level »
Den
Reporter: "How does it feel being Henry Ford II?"
HF II: "I wouldn't know, I've never been anyone else."

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: January 30, 2017, 11:24:54 am »
Been a while since anyone posted here eh? Well, me again.

So I admit the low numbers on the van are also from lots of in town, idling and we've had a lot of freezing rain/ice up here recently so I thought after that last tank to use the Olds for most in town and use the van more for longer trips and see if there'd be a difference.

This is also because the first 70 km of this latest tank I was watching the guage drop again at a crazy rate. Then I drove my daughter to a Dr's appt. in Owen Sound, hour drive each way and when we got back I had 200 km on around 1/2 tank which was a good sign as that's more like a "normal" or summer tank and then decided to limit it to longer trips.

Results? I must say, it was great for this time of year and almost at summer levels. 22.95 L/100 km or 10.25 mpg(US).

Considering the last three tanks were all under 9 mpg and two of those under 8, I am happy with this. I wonder too if the new transmission is having any effect on it?

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2702 on: February 06, 2017, 12:25:41 pm »
I have to say my GTI continues to pleasantly  surprise me for various reasons, fuel economy being one of them.

I'm at 6.6L/100km average on my current tank or 400 km on 1/2 tank. Average speed since refuel shows 78 km/hr and I drove over the weekend between north Toronto (Vaughan) and Blue Mountain twice, plus my morning commute today so a combination of side roads, small town crossing and reasonably flowing highways (not so much today morning but not too bad either).

Speeds were just below the points zone with little stop and go, slowdowns and bursts of acceleration at times but not material; most of the time smooth driving.  Temperatures were below 0 Celsius (-1 to -9 I think), climate control set at 22 Celsius with AC on (standard setup in my car). Some moderate side wind at times.

This is not the best I've seen so far, but pretty good given the length of the drive - the lowest I've got so far was 5.8 L/100km average for a trip from Waterloo to (north) Toronto around Christmas time (around 120 km I think) in similar driving conditions (speed, temp, traffic).

Not too shabby for a car with 200hp+ on tap and capable of 0-60mph in about 6 sec.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 12:27:33 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:58 pm »
 Hmmm. Well, I suspect this latest tank on the Olds proves my earlier theory on the low mpg on the van correct. I have to say, it's the worse tank it's ever burned! But since I had decided to make mostly longer trips in the van and it jumped back up, vice versa is I have been doing all the in town stuff with the Olds so makes sense.

And so........34 L/100km or 6.92 mpg(US)!!!! OUCH!!

The good news is last time I filled it was December but really shows how much short hops in winter can kill gas mileage.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: February 08, 2017, 08:01:04 am »
Left -25C, highway fast / stop & go, -24C at destination, some medium/strong wind. Cabin heater was set to comfort, 23C

Damn, I burned 0,88L gas for my morning commute and still have some kWh remaining in the battery, the ICE came on due to the infamous ERDT  :shuffle: (even more this evening)

ERDT: Engine Run Due to Temperature, set at the lower position: -10C

I understand the ERDT having done a lot of reading on the Volt. I find it quite intriguing. I thought the ERDT would be on more that cold.

So, your opinion: Here today, -17C, my average day as for driving, maybe even more than average as I went out twice. A grand total of 6 km. (Yes, seriously.) Unless I have an appt., etc of the wife wants to go shopping and I have to travel to another town (small village here, 2 km and you've left it.) this is my average daily driving. 

My question is, do you think the 6 km in town with pre-heat (Does the pre-heat work on 110?)) would be mostly EV? From what you said above, I'm thinking it would be.

Sorry, I missed your question here.

The Volt can be remotely preheat one or twice 10 minutes cycle a) unplug b) plug on 120V or c) 240V. If plugged b) or c) during and after preheat cycles, it can recover partially or totally the energy used to preheat the cabin, depends of the rest time after preheat cycles ended.

Below -10C (if set to very cold parameter) the ICE is programmed to start (notice: only once unplugged from the wall) to heat the liquid loop of the cabin heater. Once it reaches its temp. set point, then the ICE goes off (and on) based on the cabin loop temperature but if as soon the outside temp goes above -10C, then it will goes electric heat loop only...

The ERDT can be a bit annoying sometime with a MY2013+ when you still have plenty of remaining kWh (energy) available in the HV  traction battery but that the way it is... In brief, in you do multiple errands (start & stop) and outside is -10C and below, you notice the ICE turn on/off without any driver control over that on/off cycling...

*2011-12, the ICE  came in once if you don't turn the car off, it was possible to set climate control in Comfort, let say 23C and low speed fan (1 or 2),  the electric heater keeps the cabin warm & cozy unless the heater loop temp. drops below ICE threshold temperature. Otherwise then, the ICE kicks on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:21:50 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #2705 on: February 08, 2017, 08:16:27 am »
I have to say my GTI continues to pleasantly  surprise me for various reasons, fuel economy being one of them.

I'm at 6.6L/100km average on my current tank or 400 km on 1/2 tank. Average speed since refuel shows 78 km/hr and I drove over the weekend between north Toronto (Vaughan) and Blue Mountain twice, plus my morning commute today so a combination of side roads, small town crossing and reasonably flowing highways (not so much today morning but not too bad either).

That is great f/e, about 1-1.5 L/100 better than my MKV.

I keep checking out the 4-motion wagon but noticed it gets rated the same as the R. :(

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:37 pm »
Left -25C, highway fast / stop & go, -24C at destination, some medium/strong wind. Cabin heater was set to comfort, 23C

Damn, I burned 0,88L gas for my morning commute and still have some kWh remaining in the battery, the ICE came on due to the infamous ERDT  :shuffle: (even more this evening)

ERDT: Engine Run Due to Temperature, set at the lower position: -10C

I understand the ERDT having done a lot of reading on the Volt. I find it quite intriguing. I thought the ERDT would be on more that cold.

So, your opinion: Here today, -17C, my average day as for driving, maybe even more than average as I went out twice. A grand total of 6 km. (Yes, seriously.) Unless I have an appt., etc of the wife wants to go shopping and I have to travel to another town (small village here, 2 km and you've left it.) this is my average daily driving. 

My question is, do you think the 6 km in town with pre-heat (Does the pre-heat work on 110?)) would be mostly EV? From what you said above, I'm thinking it would be.

Sorry, I missed your question here.

The Volt can be remotely preheat one or twice 10 minutes cycle a) unplug b) plug on 120V or c) 240V. If plugged b) or c) during and after preheat cycles, it can recover partially or totally the energy used to preheat the cabin, depends of the rest time after preheat cycles ended.

Below -10C (if set to very cold parameter) the ICE is programmed to start (notice: only once unplugged from the wall) to heat the liquid loop of the cabin heater. Once it reaches its temp. set point, then the ICE goes off (and on) based on the cabin loop temperature but if as soon the outside temp goes above -10C, then it will goes electric heat loop only...

The ERDT can be a bit annoying sometime with a MY2013+ when you still have plenty of remaining kWh (energy) available in the HV  traction battery but that the way it is... In brief, in you do multiple errands (start & stop) and outside is -10C and below, you notice the ICE turn on/off without any driver control over that on/off cycling...

*2011-12, the ICE  came in once if you don't turn the car off, it was possible to set climate control in Comfort, let say 23C and low speed fan (1 or 2),  the electric heater keeps the cabin warm & cozy as long the loop does not drop below ICE threshold temp. and still have some energy in the traction battery. Then, the ICE kicks on.

Thank you. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I knew the ICE kicked in during driving as I see that on the forums but I was concerned it'd do so also when plugged in which to me would have defeated part of the point of buying a PHEV.  I appreciate your response.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: February 08, 2017, 12:25:15 pm »

Thank you. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I knew the ICE kicked in during driving as I see that on the forums but I was concerned it'd do so also when plugged in which to me would have defeated part of the point of buying a PHEV.  I appreciate your response.

You are very welcome.

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: February 13, 2017, 02:47:21 pm »
Filled the van this morning. Not bad really, especially for winter. basically i guess this is it's hwy mileage as this last tank was mostly the trip to London and back.

21.94 L/100 km (10.72 mpgUS.)

I'm really hoping to break 13 mpg(US) this summer and this is a good sign. Especially once the couple hundred pounds of snow on the roof melts!  :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2709 on: February 13, 2017, 05:32:28 pm »
From the Int'l Border to Fargo, North Dakota.

150 miles
Temp: 37F
Crosswind of 15 mph

Avg speed: 78 mph / 125 km/h
Fuel consumption: 8.9 L/100 km
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:34:43 pm by Winklovic »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #2710 on: February 16, 2017, 06:15:01 pm »
From the Int'l Border to Fargo, North Dakota.

150 miles
Temp: 37F
Crosswind of 15 mph

Avg speed: 78 mph / 125 km/h
Fuel consumption: 8.9 L/100 km

From Fargo, ND to Int'l Border
150 miles
Temp: 38F
Tailwind of ~10 mph
Avg. speed: 78 mph / 125 km/h
Fuel consumption: 7.8 L/100 km

Edit: I should add that once I left Fargo and set the cruise control, I didn't touch the gas or brake for 150 miles.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:01:43 pm by Winklovic »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #2711 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:04 pm »

That is great f/e, about 1-1.5 L/100 better than my MKV.

I keep checking out the 4-motion wagon but noticed it gets rated the same as the R. :(

Got even better last weekend: round trip Toronto - Blue Mountain averaged 6.1 L/100km.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:05 pm »
700 km this week in the Tesla.   
Supercharge four times, mostly short 20 minute charges while getting snacks, one long charge over lunch. 
Return home with 50% charge from a starting charge of 100%, about $5 in electricity for the entire trip.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: February 21, 2017, 08:42:20 am »
Filled the truck, 20l/100... :P  Mostly my wife taking it to work so around 4 km one way.  Couple of short 40 km one way trips too.  But overall...yeesh.  Good (bad?) thing is...since Aug 18th, last oil change, up to today, just over 3400 km driven.  Unless we buy a camper again...and other than the fact my wife prefers the truck to the car...why bother?  Could do with an old full size box 2 door farm truck for leaf season.  Gotta admit though too, I like it, it drives like a Buick.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #2714 on: February 21, 2017, 09:25:59 am »
Filled up the Jeep last Friday night & went up to Mont Ste. Marie (~100km one way) Saturday morning, then back on Sunday morning & averaged 9.8l/100km for that trip... I'm happy with that considering winter diesel, winter tires & the Thule box on the roof  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Lower Level

• Auto Obsessed
  • Roadrash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2715 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:32 pm »
Filled the van today. I'm fairly happy with the numbers, especially since this was the tank involving our breakdown with the blown heater hose and limping it to the next town which couldn't have been good for fuel mileage. Then again, I was rolling it down the hills in neutral.  :rofl2: So maybe it's my version of the Prius guys pulse and glide.............

So, results are: 21.65 L/100 km or 10.86 mpg(US).

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: February 23, 2017, 09:04:24 pm »
On my short commute in the Smart Electric Drive I am averaging 27 kWh/100 km during the winter.
Today with the warmer weather, 22 kWh/100 km as I didn't run the cabin heat at all.

The new Smart ED coming out will average 18 kWh/100 km on the same route based on the EPA efficiency rating. 
Interestingly, most of that efficiency improvement is due to drivetrain improvements, no cabin conditioning.

22 kWh/100 km at $0.13/kWh = $2.86 for 100 km, twice cheaper than a hybrid for a short city commute.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: February 23, 2017, 09:27:31 pm »
On my short commute in the Smart Electric Drive I am averaging 27 kWh/100 km during the winter.
Today with the warmer weather, 22 kWh/100 km as I didn't run the cabin heat at all.

The new Smart ED coming out will average 18 kWh/100 km on the same route based on the EPA efficiency rating. 
Interestingly, most of that efficiency improvement is due to drivetrain improvements, no cabin conditioning.

22 kWh/100 km at $0.13/kWh = $2.86 for 100 km, twice cheaper than a hybrid for a short city commute.

That's certainly an optimistic way to put it....not considering any other charges.  When we quote fuel prices, we quote the price per L all taxes in.  Weren't you mentioning something about cherry picking yesterday?   ::)

My last home bill used 392kW.  Bill total was $108.89  Or .277 per kW all in.  So 22kW per 100km would cost $6.11 in the Smart.  Or about 25% more than what it would cost a hybrid (Prius) at current gas prices to travel 100kms.

Is my math right or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 09:33:31 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2718 on: February 24, 2017, 08:24:18 am »

That's certainly an optimistic way to put it....not considering any other charges.  When we quote fuel prices, we quote the price per L all taxes in.  Weren't you mentioning something about cherry picking yesterday?   ::)

My last home bill used 392kW.  Bill total was $108.89  Or .277 per kW all in.  So 22kW per 100km would cost $6.11 in the Smart.  Or about 25% more than what it would cost a hybrid (Prius) at current gas prices to travel 100kms.

Is my math right or am I missing something?

No, it's just that Smart Electric pays less than anyone in Ontario for electricity.  He ignores all delivery charges that we others have to pay.   
Saves him a bundle.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #2719 on: February 26, 2017, 09:11:30 am »
Filled the truck, 20l/100... :P  Mostly my wife taking it to work so around 4 km one way.  Couple of short 40 km one way trips too.  But overall...yeesh.  Good (bad?) thing is...since Aug 18th, last oil change, up to today, just over 3400 km driven.  Unless we buy a camper again...and other than the fact my wife prefers the truck to the car...why bother?  Could do with an old full size box 2 door farm truck for leaf season.  Gotta admit though too, I like it, it drives like a Buick.

:o. Is that your lifetime average?  That's high!  My f-150 is registering 18/100 and it's solely a work truck.  That includes hauling trailers, quite a bit of off-roading, and lots of idling.  It's a 2013 with the 5.0 v8 and 3:73 gearing. 

The newer 1/2 tons really do make great highways cruisers.  Even with winter tires mine has a nice, quiet, and supple ride on the highway.  It's also great that you can carry lots of junk in the back that you would never put in the back of a sedan, or wagon.  I can see why they are so popular.