Author Topic: New Car Shopping - NO CLUE where to start (Help...please)  (Read 20523 times)

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 3 GS (Black)
New Car Shopping - NO CLUE where to start (Help...please)
« on: February 01, 2016, 03:41:38 pm »
Hey all,

I've been told this is the hotspot to come to for car shopping help. I'll be completely honest... I'm lost when it comes to car shopping. I'm in a position where I can have a car, but I want to obviously do the smart thing and shop around. However, I do not know where to start, what questions to ask, what to "look out for" in terms of dealer tricks. I'm also unsure of whether to buy or lease, used or new. I know this all probably sounds super simple, but I hope that there's some great expertise that can come my way.

I appreciate any help possible and look forward to being told some valuable information. Also, apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: New Car Shopping - NO CLUE where to start (Help...please)
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 03:43:27 pm »
First of all, welcome. Second, you have to give us some parameters to work with. Do you want a car, truck, SUV, Pagani Huyyrarrrhhhh?? Budget approximately?
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:52:44 pm »
First of all, welcome. Second, you have to give us some parameters to work with. Do you want a car, truck, SUV, Pagani Huyyrarrrhhhh?? Budget approximately?

Let me be first to state that M.I.A.T.A. = Miata Is Always The Answer. When it's not, get a Subaru  ;D because Canada, Eh!  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

ltruong

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 04:00:02 pm »
Welcome!

Maybe you could answer these simple questions before we make suggestion?

Will this be your first car?  Do you own one right now?  how old are you?  What will be used for?  how long do you plan on keeping the car for?

Do you plan of financing if you buy new or paying cash?  what is you budget or payment budget?

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:02:50 pm »

Perfect, thanks for the response!
1. Car preferably.
2. Budget - monthly approximately 200 to 300 a month. I'm still a student, but have saved up enough to afford monthly payments

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:04:46 pm »
heh... yeah... those are the usual answers...

are you looking to spend cash, or get payments? what are you budgeting in either case? how many kms do you drive/year? how many people do you usually have with you (or plan to have)? what kinds of hobbies do you have that might effect the type of car (skiing, camping, shopping, etc)? any must have features?

and maybe rank these things for us.... 1)style 2)safety 3)value 4)utility 5)performance

that will be a good start. then we shall choose what colour miata to get.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 04:06:08 pm »
Welcome!

Maybe you could answer these simple questions before we make suggestion?

Will this be your first car?  Do you own one right now?  how old are you?  What will be used for?  how long do you plan on keeping the car for?

Do you plan of financing if you buy new or paying cash?  what is you budget or payment budget?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

1. Yes first car (of my own)
2. Mid 20's just out of loonnnng university life
3. It will be used for social driving of course. Main purpose is to get to and from work
4. Ideally as long as possible.
5. I'd be financing. Budget is around 200-300 a month. I will need to worry about insurance and gas too, so maybe I'm trying to get a sense of budget as I'm shopping, too.

Additionally... I'm not super picky about look. I think what's important to me is gas, safety, and upkeep. If I'm allowed to be a bit greedy, I would love a nav system, but I realize this is something I can add in most cars now anyways.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 04:08:50 pm »
is there any right answer but the Corolla?? But just say for one second that your gentlemen's vegetables are all functioning correctly and looking at the Corolla is the equivalent of seeing your grandma in a bikini, there are other, way more interesting and entertaining possibilities out there.  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 04:10:18 pm »
just to be that guy... you can't really "save up enough to make monthly payments"... that just means you haven't saved up enough to pay for a car. no big deal. just want to be sure of a few things, such as credit worthiness... do you have any credit history? if not and you are just a student without much coming in, your rate might be such that it really limits the car you can choose.

the usual of corolla, civic, mazda3, elantra, forte all pop up... all would be fine... high on insurance, but easy on gas and should fall into the budget.

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 04:12:08 pm »
heh... yeah... those are the usual answers...

are you looking to spend cash, or get payments? what are you budgeting in either case? how many kms do you drive/year? how many people do you usually have with you (or plan to have)? what kinds of hobbies do you have that might effect the type of car (skiing, camping, shopping, etc)? any must have features?

and maybe rank these things for us.... 1)style 2)safety 3)value 4)utility 5)performance

that will be a good start. then we shall choose what colour miata to get.

LOL, hey, easy on the Miata jokes!

KMs I'm guesstimating would be about 178,000 - 200,000 per year.
It is usually myself driving on my own
No real hobbies of concern. So space isn't super important.
I might sound silly for putting Value over Safety. Please don't judge!
Value, Safety, Performance, Utility, Style

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »
200-300 a month?

Learn to drive stick.

Lease/finance the cheapest thing you can find.

I assume this is going to end up with a base Accent or Fiesta or something. Maybe a Micra.

Don't worry about saving money just go make more.

Here is your nav system.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 04:14:17 pm »
Where do you live?     The differing costs of insurance between public and private insurance provinces will make a big difference at your age.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:14:39 pm »
just to be that guy... you can't really "save up enough to make monthly payments"... that just means you haven't saved up enough to pay for a car. no big deal. just want to be sure of a few things, such as credit worthiness... do you have any credit history? if not and you are just a student without much coming in, your rate might be such that it really limits the car you can choose.

the usual of corolla, civic, mazda3, elantra, forte all pop up... all would be fine... high on insurance, but easy on gas and should fall into the budget.

All fair points
- I have credit history, but credit has really only been used for the last few years. So not a huge build up. Would it be worth talking with my bank before even diving into car buying options?

Are there any brands/cars I should definitely avoid? Some seem super tempting in price, but I wouldn't know if they would be a bigger risk in the long run.

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 04:16:10 pm »
200-300 a month?

Learn to drive stick.

Lease/finance the cheapest thing you can find.

I assume this is going to end up with a base Accent or Fiesta or something. Maybe a Micra.

Don't worry about saving money just go make more.

Lived in Europe for 3 years... probably should've learned to drive stick. And of course, the car is an easier way to get me to locations to help me make more money haha

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 04:16:39 pm »
Where do you live?     The differing costs of insurance between public and private insurance provinces will make a big difference at your age.

Toronto

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 04:17:26 pm »

All fair points
- I have credit history, but credit has really only been used for the last few years. So not a huge build up. Would it be worth talking with my bank before even diving into car buying options?

Are there any brands/cars I should definitely avoid? Some seem super tempting in price, but I wouldn't know if they would be a bigger risk in the long run.

Mini, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes ML diesels.....but seriously, in the category you are looking at, there is no real winner or loser. In the $2-300 range, a Kia Rio or Mazda 2 would be livable.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 04:19:22 pm »
I agree with mmret.

Learn to drive stick and all the other things he said  especially the one about money.   The only true freedom is economic freedom.  So stay cheap, asian  ( aka reliable) and economical to insure and run.  When you are established in your career path THEN take another go.

You live in Toronto.  So the insurance will kill you.  Do you REALLY need a car?

You should avoid FGCs for sure!

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 04:20:33 pm »

Toronto

Your insurance alone will be 200-300 a MONTH. Buy a car for cash, $ 3-5k, insure it and maybe you'll have money left for gas and maintenance  :(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 04:21:12 pm »
I agree with mmret.

Learn to drive stick and all the other things he said  especially the one about money.   The only true freedom is economic freedom.  So stay cheap, asian  ( aka reliable) and economical to insure and run.  When you are established in your career path THEN take another go.

You live in Toronto.  So the insurance will kill you.  Do you REALLY need a car?

You should avoid FGCs for sure!

Stick is a given, can work an even better deal on a lot of in stock vehicles as well.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 04:24:39 pm »

Toronto

Ok. I am going to be a bro and help you out since I have apa.ca membership right now.

New 2016 Corolla right now can be had with a $500/$1k discount off sticker and 0.99% finance over 72 months.

No idea what that comes out to monthly but it is probably not terrible. Maybe a bit over $300, maybe a bit under, depending on what model.

Even better finance rate with a 2015 if any still exist.

New Civic has been released and it is really good so Toyo will put incentives to move the metal.

The Corolla will last and the resale will be good. Buy less beer and you have less car headaches.

On the other hand. Hyundai Accent...probably $75/mo less and its a hatchback which is handy.

Play all these dealers off against each other.