Author Topic: 2015 Lexus NX300H and Lincoln MkC 2.3  (Read 5622 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
2015 Lexus NX300H and Lincoln MkC 2.3
« on: January 20, 2018, 02:13:31 am »
So, today, i took off work couple hours early to take a look at couple of cars.

first, the lexus.  at a local lexus dealership.

as i enter the lexus dealership, i see a LFA.  holy fx.k.  that car is sexy.   right beside it is the new LC..500?..  anyway.  that's sexy as fx.k too.  looks better in the flesh than in the pic.  in the pic, the rear of it has odd angle to me, but in the flesh, dang, it looks good.  interior is flawless.    not opulent, like say a bently, but luxurious and impeccably built.

but that's not why i went here.  i called ahead, made an appt, to see the NX hybrid. 

dang, it was nice.  2015 with 34k on it.
interior has very nice fit and finish with better than good materials.  doesn't feel like toyota at all.
power liftgate was slow as hell though.
this one was loaded to the gills,
had HUD, which was barely visible and i didn't notice it at all after al while.
infotainment was little difficult to use, using that stupid touchpad. 
screen seemed to be about 7", which is small by today's standard. 

the important bits, the driving.
steering : was pretty good.  numb steering, but very direct and light effort but intuitive at the same time.

handling : was better than i expected.  it's sprung like a small hatchback.  somewhat like newer golf.  fairly refined but firm.  didn't expect this.  from a lexus.  this didn't even have sports package.

seats : comfy.   soft leather seat is very huggy. (it did have a weird wear spot in the middle of the seat back )  fat guys need not apply though.  not that bolstering is heavy, but the seat itself isn't very big.  just enough bolstering to hold you in place.  it's not overtly designed or ornate, it kind of disappears from your consciousness.     it's a chair.  nice one that you forget about.  heated and cooled.  seat heater took a while to kick in though. (also had heated steering wheel which kicked in much faster.)

power :  dang, this thing is slow.    in town driving, it's perfect.  electric assist is seamless and combine with the engine, is good enough to propel you to about 70 km/h in reasonable amount of time.  but from there to 100, it feels like it takes forever.  and engine is LOUD when WOT.

Transmission : CVT.  funnily enough, I didn't notice this at all when i drove the RAV4 Hybrid, but there's this constant whine from the transmission.  i thought i had window open at highway with all that high pitched whine...   my SO has tinnitus so she says she doesn't hear it, and sales guy, that guy says it's normal....  i'm not sure.

Ride /noise : firm , but pretty well damped.  noisier than i expected a lexus to be.  suspension noise is fairly well masked but i thnk it's on par with RAV4 Hybrid.  or maybe a little worse?

braking : regen braking.   fairly intuitive, but it does feel a little different from normal braking.  it's fine.

overall, i was impressed.    HOWEVER, this particular example had some sort of damage repaired, front side bumper for sure, and fenders.  not sure why fenders were replace, as every component under the hood looked factory to me.

lexus dealership experience, not sure what the hoopla is about.  about the same as all other luxury dealership to me.  maybe a little less defensive and less pushy?    (or maybe i'm just not giving a sh1t anymore...?)

Lincoln MKC, this was a cream puff.  2015, 2.3 turbo, loaded to the gills (had every option available at the time) with about 70k on it, 1 owner, cream beige interior, champaign exterior..   it's very nice inside. 

instrument cluster is unexpectedly nice, good heated steering wheel, nice and heated and cooled seats.  these seats were about 3.5 times better than the ones in the Escape titanium. all the buttons were soft touch, and smooth in operation.

Centre stack/infotainment is ... well, it's myFord Touch system, which is OK.  Gear selector buttons, i got used to it within seconds so it's not an issue.
rear view camera resolution sucked but power liftgate was so much faster than lexus.

now the driving ,
steering : very light effort at low speed, gets significantly heavier at higher speed, and the stupid thing follows road ruts. was unexpected.  it was weird.  i get that they were going for somewhat sporty here, but it came off a little crudely done.

handling : drives like a little truck.  it's competent to be honest, but it does feel like SUV rather than sports sedan/hatch.

seat : pretty comfy.  i was surprised. i had to fiddle with lumbar adjustment a bit, but  soft beige leather seat hugged me pretty good and heated and ventilated.   this seat felt a LOT more like chairs than the lexus , less like car seats.  i think it's due to positioning.  even at lowest level, it's pretty high off the floor.

power :  good.  2.3 has good power.  no problem accelerating.
transmission : umm..   yeah...  it wasn't that good.   acceptable for something from late 2000' era.  shifts were sometimes jerky.  it's 6 speed auto.   this technology's been around forever!!.    anyway.  it wasn't bad though.

ride / noise :  slightly less firm than lexus. it rolls a little more, but damping's good and suspension noise was handled very well felt quieter than lexus on the road.

braking : normal brakes.  nothing remarkable to report.

sales guy was funny, this was at a ford dealership, and he was saying how this was a porsche cayenne competitor and ford/lincoln is right up there with german and japanese luxury marques in quality.  i didn't scoff in his face though.  he was otherwise nice.

side show sh1t dealer visit : so i went to see the Touareg locally listed by used car dealer.  it's owned by big dealership group.  i called ahead to make appointment to see the thing, , when i get there, this old stereo typical domestic dealership sales guy, let's call him 'ken' comes over, walks us over to the touareg, asks me what i think.   umm.. i just got there.  i haven't even spent a minute looking.

i spend like 10 minutes looking over the thing.  it's not as good in the flesh as in the photos.  lots of wear and tear.  it still is a solid deal though, so i'm thinking, and he and i chat for a minute about price and condition of the car, ask about accident history if any, etc, standard stuff.  it looks like no accident car as it had the "globali" stickers dealerships sell when the car is new on all the panels, but just to be sure. 

he checks computer, says it's accident free, gives me the price plus fee plus tax number, then asks me what i want,  do i want to buy the car or take it for a ride or what?

i'm still thinking, it's not that pristine, it's huge, likely have hard time fitting in my garage, and looking at the tire, holy crap it's huge....   and it was a smoker's car, there's cigarette burn on the b-pillar.   while i'm thinking all this, the sales guy goes "you know, i'm a busy guy, there are guys coming from lethbridge , red deer, blah blah blah, let me know what you want " then walks away. 

ok....  i'm looking at the car all over, under the hood, under the rear suspension, etc, and i look over, and 'ken' is sitting on a desk  (yes, ON a desk, not AT a desk) dicking around with 2 other guys.   .  ..the fx.k?  thought you said you were busy???

so i walk out.    the end.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: 2015 Lexus NX300H and Lincoln MkC 2.3
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 08:01:43 am »
Yes, if you are a big guy the NX is a big no go  :rofl2:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 04:18:59 pm »
I wonder how that 3 year old Lexus compares to a new Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5 (the two best mainstream CUVs in my opinion).

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 04:26:39 pm »
We went to the dealership to check one out with that idea, but the Lexus felt much smaller inside than the other two. So much so we didn't bother to test drive one.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 04:57:08 pm »
I think a used NX might be the perfect vehicle for the missus and myself if we retire and move to small town BC.  Hybrid economy, Lexus reliability, still AWD to get around in the winter, and a nicer size for two people than the Highlander.  There's no Lexus dealer in Kamloops but there is a Toyota dealer and evidently a decent Toyota indie.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 05:04:21 pm »
overall, i was impressed.    HOWEVER, this particular example had some sort of damage repaired, front side bumper for sure, and fenders.  not sure why fenders were replace, as every component under the hood looked factory to me.
What was the repair estimate if shown on carproof? Could be the source of the noise...  :-\
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 06:35:37 pm »
What was the repair estimate if shown on carproof? Could be the source of the noise...  :-\

It wasnt noted on carproof.  I noticed the front fender bolts had been removed so i asked.  Nothing on carproof, but dealership had an invoice for parts ordered by local body shop ordering $4k worth of front bumper ,lights, and fenders.   So probably aroun 6 to 7k worth of work was done on it.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 10:05:48 am »
Nice review, but you really should have gone to a Buick dealer and not wasted your time with anything else. (/sarcasm, in case one particular member doesn’t get it)

Those used car dealers tend to get cars dealers don’t want to sell. Which is ok if the price is right.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 10:52:33 am »
I'd probably rock the MKC based on your reviews.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 04:18:34 pm »
I wonder how that 3 year old Lexus compares to a new Honda CR-V or Mazda CX-5 (the two best mainstream CUVs in my opinion).

you know, i drove the new CR-V few weeks ago.  Lexus interior is MILES above CRV.  but CRV is very nice.
driving dynamics, CRV feels faster.  and highway economy is probably comparable with CRVs 1.5 Turbo.
CRV is certainly roomier on the inside, but NX is bigger than it looks at first glance.  there's plenty of leg room and head room, it just feels somehow cozier.  strange cuz RAV4 which shares the platform, looks a lot bigger inside.

CX5, it's been few years since i last drove one, so i can't comment compared to new model.

Nice review, but you really should have gone to a Buick dealer and not wasted your time with anything else. (/sarcasm, in case one particular member doesn’t get it)

Those used car dealers tend to get cars dealers don’t want to sell. Which is ok if the price is right.

i've looked at Buick Encore before, but it's just not good..... ;D ;)

I'd probably rock the MKC based on your reviews.

I was really impressed with MKC..    only let down is the gearbox for me, and steering (strange heaviness at speed).  otherwise, it's one seriously nice car.    but my SO seems to prefer lexus. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 05:21:56 pm »
....but my SO seems to prefer lexus.

I have the same problem. I keep suggesting how nice a Rav4 hybrid would be, and that seems to be going nowhere. Pretty sure it's going to be an RX at some point.

Once she realized she could have a Lexus for the same money, I was doomed

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 06:11:51 pm »
DOOMED.

i've looked at Buick Encore before, but it's just not good..... ;D ;)

But it appreciates!

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Lexus NX300H and Lincoln MkC 2.3 which is better?
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 01:12:10 am »
I know this is not the buying thread, but at some point, i'm gonna have to buy something to replace the VW. 

Lincoln's 30k.   lexus is 45k.   

lexus interior is almost faultless, it's so very luxury, everything you touch feels luxurious.      lincoln's interior is very VERY good. a lot simpler, but i can tell they put thought into it.    escape interior is garbage compared to lincoln.     but the leap from lincoln to lexus is like   ... leap from VW to Audi.  subtle yet significant.

Lincoln is soo much faster than lexus.

lexus handles/rides/drives better.

after buying Lincoln, still have vacation money left over.

after buying lexus, have no money left over.

my SO suggested maybe a couple year old Volvo XC60 would be nice too.     they fit in that price range too.   i test drove one couple of years ago the T6 (the real I6 one), and it was quite marvelous(but chugs gas).  i think i can fit the newer I4 T5/T6 version of the last body style, but not too confident on volvo longevity.  what do you think?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 01:38:44 am »
I'm a Lexus slap, and their interiors are impeccable and I love the reliability, quality, attention to detail, etc....the fact that you said it handles better, rides better, etc might make the Lexus even more compelling.

But $15k is $15k...and that's not chump change. Is the pricing closer in the non-hybrid Lexus?

If not, I'd go Lincoln and pocket the dough!

Or find a used Lexus GX, RX, etc (they're older so many more available in the market) if your heart is set on Lexus.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:45:47 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 06:47:26 am »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 07:42:28 am »
I'm a Lexus slap, and their interiors are impeccable and I love the reliability, quality, attention to detail, etc....the fact that you said it handles better, rides better, etc might make the Lexus even more compelling.

But $15k is $15k...and that's not chump change. Is the pricing closer in the non-hybrid Lexus?

If not, I'd go Lincoln and pocket the dough!

Or find a used Lexus GX, RX, etc (they're older so many more available in the market) if your heart is set on Lexus.
Lincoln can do some nice interiors. I was very impressed with the MKX interior when we test drove one last Summer. Very nice steering wheel in particular - way nicer than the loaded Explorer interior.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-451
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: 2015 Lexus NX300H and Lincoln MkC 2.3 which is better?
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 01:04:35 pm »

my SO suggested maybe a couple year old Volvo XC60 would be nice too.     they fit in that price range too.   i test drove one couple of years ago the T6 (the real I6 one), and it was quite marvelous(but chugs gas).  i think i can fit the newer I4 T5/T6 version of the last body style, but not too confident on volvo longevity.  what do you think?

I don't think there were many issues with the XC60 especially towards the end of it's life cycle.  If I was looking for one I'd probably try and find a I6 model with low mileage and preferably a CPO warranty. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Lincoln MkC 2.3 slightly extended test drive
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 01:57:45 pm »
lincoln made a lot of sense to my wallet, so i asked for a second, longer test drive.

it was painless to ask for one, but everything after was one small disappointment after another.

the worst was the constant rattle.  OMG.   on my short test drive, everything was good.

but on this longer drive, i got to drive the different drive modes, different interior lighting, WOT, long-ish highway stint.

the steering mode change changes the way steering wheel feels.  that's pretty much it.  comfort mode feels like the best for me.

on long highway stint, on extremely smooth road, the ride is serene, interior is comforting and quiet, the engine loping along smooth and powerful.

BUT, on my normal commute road, there's some big bumps, small high frequency bumps, pot holes, and long stretch of straight highway.

on series of small bumps, the suspension is not great. the body control is lacking
and there's SQUEAKs .   squeak from sun roof/cover, rear seats, rear door .    that will literally drive me crazy.

and the front seat bottom cushion is too short.  on longer highway, the seat cushion's lack of thigh support made it very difficult to be comfortable.

I wanted to really like this car, the ride quality is pretty good, and on smooth road the car is very quiet but its shortcomings were too much for me. 

meh.  this sucks.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1249/-7194
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 03:11:28 pm »
Back to looking at Lexus...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend