Author Topic: Auto Manuf's Better Get Real On Supremacy Cdn Dollar  (Read 48147 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent

Offline gord_boyd

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +7/-24
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '12 A7, '85 911 turbo
Re: Auto Manuf's Better Get Real On Supremacy Cdn Dollar
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 05:12:18 pm »
Good post Mike.  On average lux. cars costing 16% more here according to study released today
on CTV's all-news TV and they interviewed a gal from ucanimport.com
who handles lux. cars all the time.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-35
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 07:29:38 pm »
I stopped in at a VW dealer this past weekend while down in the US for some money-saving shopping.  ;D

The salesman thought he could sell me a car; I told him to better check with the sales manager because a couple of years ago, the dealers told me they couldn't.

Sure enough the salesman relayed what the sales manager told him. VW Canada in talks with VW NA asked that they not sell cars to Canadians because they cannot compete (well tough $hit) and that if everyone bought stateside, they'd go out of business (you think).

My question is, what government agency deals with trade, free trade, protectionism, etc.
What you won't find in my car is a coffee, cigarette and a cell phone. What you will find is a driver; imagine that, a driver in a vehicle. What an effing concept!
A car has to do more than just perform; it has to stir your soul!
A true driver's car does not have cup holders.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:18 pm »
I stopped in at a VW dealer this past weekend while down in the US for some money-saving shopping.  ;D

The salesman thought he could sell me a car; I told him to better check with the sales manager because a couple of years ago, the dealers told me they couldn't.

Sure enough the salesman relayed what the sales manager told him. VW Canada in talks with VW NA asked that they not sell cars to Canadians because they cannot compete (well tough $hit) and that if everyone bought stateside, they'd go out of business (you think).

My question is, what government agency deals with trade, free trade, protectionism, etc.

Screw the dealers...buy private...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Acura RDX Elite, 1995 Porsche 993 Carrera, 2015 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 GTS and a slew of motorcycles.
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:25 pm »

Tough to buy a new car...private.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 08:14:00 pm »

Tough to buy a new car...private.

1-2 year old off lease dealio...

BTW...what on a VW lot could possibly interest you??
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:16:20 pm by rrocket »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2011, 08:19:21 pm »
1-2 year old off lease dealio...

BTW...what on a VW lot could possibly interest you??

People who have leased cars know they are out of them in X years and therefore do not look after them.

A diesel, and us being behind the times, do not have a lot of choices on this side of the pond. I'd buy a 335d if it were priced at $25K.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:21:22 pm by No H2O »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2011, 08:22:21 pm »

People who have leased cars know they are out of them in X years and therefore do not look after them.

A bit of a blanket statement.  I've known people to take care of their leases because they wanted to buy the car only to get into another lease because of some favorable deal on a brand new car.  I would definitely not say all short lease cars are POS.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2011, 08:24:25 pm »
I'd like lower priced goods and services as much as anyone else however I think I also understand marketing. The US is a completely different market. What they charge for it in another market is irrelevant. If the Canadian market didn't bare $20,000 for a car X then it wouldn't be priced that way.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2011, 08:28:21 pm »
A bit of a blanket statement.  I've known people to take care of their leases because they wanted to buy the car only to get into another lease because of some favorable deal on a brand new car.

That case is a possibility, but I don't know a single person that I know that was in a lease that bought their car.

I don't consider the savings on a 1 or 2 year old car worth it in the cases I have seen.

I buy new, maintain them to the extreme and drive them into the ground. Thats the best bang for the buck. Depreciation doesn't even enter the equation.

I'm not actively looking; my car is only in its 13th year. But I am getting informed well in advance, just in case.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
A bit of a blanket statement.  I've known people to take care of their leases because they wanted to buy the car only to get into another lease because of some favorable deal on a brand new car.

That case is a possibility, but I don't know a single person that I know that was in a lease that bought their car.

I don't consider the savings on a 1 or 2 year old car worth it in the cases I have seen.

I buy new, maintain them to the extreme and drive them into the ground. Thats the best bang for the buck. Depreciation doesn't even enter the equation.

I'm not actively looking; my car is only in its 13th year. But I am getting informed well in advance, just in case.

Which diesel?  Jetta?   We looked at them over here.  I see the MSRP in Canada is nearly identical to USA.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 08:32:45 pm by rrocket »

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 08:31:57 pm »
The US is a completely different market.

And, how does that equate to a doubling of the freight and PDE charges. Lets not waste our time trying to reason it out. Thats the way it is and some of us not willing to put up with that BS will take other avenues. I've stopped wondering why...my wallet does the talking.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:53 pm »
I'd buy a 335d if it were priced at $25K.

Well....duh? ???
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »
Which diesel?  Jetta?   We looked at them over here.  I see the MSRP in Canada is nearly identical to USA.

Well for starters, $770 vs $1365 in destination charges alone.

I have the US brochure. I'll be comparing standard equipment and options.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »

Well for starters, $770 vs $1365 in destination charges alone.

I have the US brochure. I'll be comparing standard equipment and options.

Ok....but you'd still have to pay 6.7% (IIRC) duty on the price.  So the savings/options have to work out.  Let us know what you find out...

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 08:46:22 pm »
Well....duh? ???

The point being made is, there is very little choice at the bottom of the price range...Golf and Jetta TDI...what other diesel is under $25K?

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 08:48:23 pm »
Ok....but you'd still have to pay 6.7% (IIRC) duty on the price.  So the savings/options have to work out.  Let us know what you find out...

Made in Mexico so I don't think there is any duty.

When the time comes, trust me, I'll do the numbers. I had some time to kill so I popped into a dealer down there.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »

Made in Mexico so I don't think there is any duty.

When the time comes, trust me, I'll do the numbers. I had some time to kill so I popped into a dealer down there.

About the Jetta...we weren't overly impressed with the build quality, and the reliability is questionable.  So are you buying just for economy?  In that case, the new TDIs aren't exceptional for MPG.  We're still on the fence....we're looking for IQs next work car.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 09:01:00 pm »
I'd like lower priced goods and services as much as anyone else however I think I also understand marketing. The US is a completely different market. What they charge for it in another market is irrelevant. If the Canadian market didn't bare $20,000 for a car X then it wouldn't be priced that way.

Exactly.   If the USA was the other side of the Panama Canal or the Atlantic for example, not just a drive away then we would not think to compare prices. Or if you prefer, if the USA did not speak English we might not use it as our yardstick.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline No H2O

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Alps Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 09:05:30 pm »
About the Jetta...we weren't overly impressed with the build quality, and the reliability is questionable.  So are you buying just for economy?  In that case, the new TDIs aren't exceptional for MPG.  We're still on the fence....we're looking for IQs next work car.

RR as you know, I don't put much weight in magazine reviews or whats on forums aka the greatest source of unconfirmed information. I worked in a VW dealership for some time and if I based reliability on that, I wouldn't buy a VW or any brand where I worked in service.

BMWs are supposed to be crap based on what some/many on here say. My friend's BMW is 27 years old and has required less work than my 13 year old Honda, yet my Honda is dead reliable and hardly needed anything. My BMW never had any issues either. If MBs are so damn unreliable, taxi service in Europe must be the pits.

I like the engine characteristics of a diesel; I get to drive them or in them when in Europe. As for mileage, its at least as good as the best gas engine out there.

Nothing from Japan does anything for me at the moment and recent past.