Author Topic: News: Subaru's First Eight-Seat Crossover Starts From $35,995  (Read 11393 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
News: Subaru's First Eight-Seat Crossover Starts From $35,995
« on: February 23, 2018, 07:18:44 pm »
Well equipped SUV arrives this summer.

Full article.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: News: Subaru's First Eight-Seat Crossover Starts From $35,995
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 07:34:37 pm »
wish these features were part of a drivers assist package that are separate: Subaru's EyeSight active safety suite that includes pre-collision braking, radar cruise control, lane keep assist

ltruong

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:37:29 pm »
I like the leather choices!!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 08:03:21 pm »
There is zero chance that holds eight people if more than two of them are over six years of age.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 09:23:28 pm »
Looks like the right package to compete with the Highlander and Pilot (unlike the Tribeca) but it's a rough segment.  It will be interesting to see if it sells.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 09:41:53 pm »
It will mostly sell for the Subaru people...it doesn’t have enough bling to compete with the top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ltruong

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 09:45:10 pm »
Looks like the right package to compete with the Highlander and Pilot (unlike the Tribeca) but it's a rough segment.  It will be interesting to see if it sells.

Would it be more like  Sorento or a cx9 in size?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 08:24:13 am »

it looks like it might be a bit bigger than a Sorento...should be an interesting option for those needing to seat that many people...it looks nice.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 09:20:18 am »
There is zero chance that holds eight people if more than two of them are over six years of age.

Like all 3 row SUVs except the largest Expedition and Yukon XL, the third row is pretty much useless.
And if you do haul eight people in it, how long is a turbo 4 going to last?
Subaru has a 3.6 litre six that should be an option.
'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:35:57 am »

Like all 3 row SUVs except the largest Expedition and Yukon XL, the third row is pretty much useless.

That 3.6L six is ancient, less hp and torque than this turbo.  I prefer NA engines.  But I don't Subaru is going to put any money into this thing.  Doesn't even have direct fuel injection. 

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 12:37:21 pm »

Explorer and Pilot owners disagree with you...

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 12:58:01 pm »

I saw this at the CIAS, it looks bigger than the Highlander or Sorento more like it will compete with the Explorer, Atlas and Traverse.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2018, 02:08:51 pm »
I actually think this vehicle will do really well for them.  I think about what the Atlas has done for VW SUV sales and I imagine it'll have the same effect for Subaru.  The base model seems to offer a lot of value compared to rivals.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2018, 05:43:46 pm »

Yukon XL’s 3rd row is useless. It’s practically on the floor. Expedition, Sequoia, and Armada have proper minivan like 3rd rows.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2018, 07:33:06 pm »
I actually think this vehicle will do really well for them.  I think about what the Atlas has done for VW SUV sales and I imagine it'll have the same effect for Subaru.  The base model seems to offer a lot of value compared to rivals.

Interesting....I was thinking that the Atlas was basically cutting into other VW sales vs bringing new people to the showroom...

ltruong

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 11:43:37 pm »

Yukon XL’s 3rd row is useless. It’s practically on the floor. Expedition, Sequoia, and Armada have proper minivan like 3rd rows.

I sat in 3rd row Yukon for a ride and it was laughable

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 08:43:48 am »

Interesting....I was thinking that the Atlas was basically cutting into other VW sales vs bringing new people to the showroom...

How could that be true?  They had a compact CUV in the Tiguan and the luxury 2 row CUV in the Toureg, I doubt either buyer of those two vehicles would find the Atlas appealing.  Plus it's not like VW had a lot of CUV sales between those two offerings, how could adding the new Atlas and bigger Tiguan not bring new customers into the show rooms.  When talking to the owner of the local VW dealer he said they can't keep higher trim level Atlas on the lot.  Thought it was strange that upper trims are the volume sellers.

ltruong

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 10:47:51 pm »

How could that be true?  They had a compact CUV in the Tiguan and the luxury 2 row CUV in the Toureg, I doubt either buyer of those two vehicles would find the Atlas appealing.  Plus it's not like VW had a lot of CUV sales between those two offerings, how could adding the new Atlas and bigger Tiguan not bring new customers into the show rooms.  When talking to the owner of the local VW dealer he said they can't keep higher trim level Atlas on the lot.  Thought it was strange that upper trims are the volume sellers.

Yes buddy of mine is a salesman at VW. He said everybody wants a digital cockpit in both the Tiguan and atlas

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 10:02:12 am »

Explorer and Pilot owners disagree with you...

Haven't checked out an Explorer but in the Pilot the 3rd row is basically only for short trips in a pinch for adults.  If you actually have a need for that 3rd row often none of these mid size CUVs are a great option. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 10:13:17 am »
When talking to the owner of the local VW dealer he said they can't keep higher trim level Atlas on the lot.  Thought it was strange that upper trims are the volume sellers.

Not really that strange. When it comes to larger SUVs/CUVs Canada has always bought the upper trims at higher rates than the U.S. has. I think it's because Canadian consumers see these vehicles as more of a luxury, whereas many American consumers see them as family vehicles and are ok going without the amenities that come with higher trims.