Author Topic: Failing alternator, again.  (Read 10880 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Failing alternator, again.
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 01:14:22 pm »
The OE AGM battery in my Mazda only lasted 5 years. Not sure if the Motomaster or Optima Red/Yellow Tops are any better I opted with the plain old Kirkland batteries as a replacement.

But yes, all you need is your membership.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 01:53:02 pm »
So I returned and got a new battery from Costco. The price went up 10 bucks since so I'm paying $10 plus HST. Not bad as long as that fixes it.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 01:55:34 pm »
So I returned and got a new battery from Costco. The price went up 10 bucks since so I'm paying $10 plus HST. Not bad as long as that fixes it.
That was fast!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 01:57:38 pm »
That was fast!
Not bad at all. I was expecting a lot worse.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 02:15:36 pm »
:iagree: glad that worked out so well and easily for you.  Hopefully the squeak problem doesn't return in two days' time. ::)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 02:40:28 pm »
:iagree: glad that worked out so well and easily for you.  Hopefully the squeak problem doesn't return in two days' time. ::)

I spoke too soon.

When the new battery was hooked up, the cooling fan started running with the key out of the ignition.  They're gonna keep the car for another few hours and check the relay and stuff.   :(

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 03:20:39 pm »
Replace the battery cables, both of them.  When weird electrical sh*t starts happening on 10 year old cars with high mileage the negative cable is the first suspect and the cheapest to replace.  Essentially the existing battery cables are not carrying the load needed.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 04:31:24 pm »

I spoke too soon.

When the new battery was hooked up, the cooling fan started running with the key out of the ignition.  They're gonna keep the car for another few hours and check the relay and stuff.   :(

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2017, 04:41:49 pm »
Does that potentially mean you didn't need a new battery?  :-\

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »

Might still have needed a new one.

Some cars run the cooling fan with the key out, not sure about the MDX.  If it's not normal, then it sounds like the relay is gone.  Could be causing the battery to drain - but a deep discharge can wreck the battery, so replacement isn't a terrible idea if it's been dead.

My neighbour was outside (he's a retired firefighter that's a journeyman mechanic and has a bunch of Hondas in the family) so I asked him about it, and he said that lots of the Accords/TL cars can have an issue where the cooling fan stays on, and it's one of two things: a timer issue, or a relay.  Some (not many) models have a timer that runs the fan even if the key is out, to make sure the system cools off.  But, most don't have that, and if the cooling fan is running, then 99% of the time it's the relay.  He also said it can be an intermittent issue, as the relay sticks/un-sticks as it goes bad.  Happened on his son's Accord.

He says the relay isn't expensive and is simple to swap out.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2017, 09:57:38 am »

Some cars run the cooling fan with the key out, not sure about the MDX.  If it's not normal, then it sounds like the relay is gone.  Could be causing the battery to drain - but a deep discharge can wreck the battery, so replacement isn't a terrible idea if it's been dead.

My neighbour was outside (he's a retired firefighter that's a journeyman mechanic and has a bunch of Hondas in the family) so I asked him about it, and he said that lots of the Accords/TL cars can have an issue where the cooling fan stays on, and it's one of two things: a timer issue, or a relay.  Some (not many) models have a timer that runs the fan even if the key is out, to make sure the system cools off.  But, most don't have that, and if the cooling fan is running, then 99% of the time it's the relay.  He also said it can be an intermittent issue, as the relay sticks/un-sticks as it goes bad.  Happened on his son's Accord.

He says the relay isn't expensive and is simple to swap out.

That was my way of thinking positive.  A fully discharged battery isn't good so it's not a bad idea to replace it with a brand new one for 10 bucks. 
The relay was replaced and they say it's all good now.  It fired up fine this morning when I started it to make sure that my wife won't have an issue taking the kids to work.

Replace the battery cables, both of them.  When weird electrical sh*t starts happening on 10 year old cars with high mileage the negative cable is the first suspect and the cheapest to replace.  Essentially the existing battery cables are not carrying the load needed.

Based on acurazine, it seems like the sticky relay issue happens more often than I expected.  It happened on 3 year old cars, too. It cost $73 all in to diagnose and change the relay.  I just don't like the other $75 I paid to have them check the battery & alternator ($46) and replace the battery ($20?!?!).

Still, it's better than a shot alternator, so I'll survive.

I just hope I won't have to do the timing belt & water pump before I let her go.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08:00 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY84h459n34

I could have done all of that ;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 11:16:41 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY84h459n34

I could have done all of that ;D

That is the worst DIY video I have ever seen. 
Sure, I could have done that myself, but I wouldn't have known that the relay was the issue for sure without the diagnostics. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 11:19:00 am »
100% agree.  Hence the ";D" face.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:04 am »
I was talking to my neighbour some more about this, and he thinks it might be a "chicken and egg" issue with the Honda cooling fan relay.  When he replaced the relay on his son's Accord, he also had to replace the battery - it tested completely done for.  It could be that the cooling fan runs and drains the battery - and that fan would drain it easily, it draws way more current than something like a dome light.  But, he wonders if a weak battery might cause the relay to degrade, then the dying relay drains the already weakening battery, and presto, you have a REALLY dead battery.  He's seen some other instances of where a weak battery or alternator has caused issues, and thinks this might be one of them.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 11:41:48 am »
I was talking to my neighbour some more about this, and he thinks it might be a "chicken and egg" issue with the Honda cooling fan relay.  When he replaced the relay on his son's Accord, he also had to replace the battery - it tested completely done for.  It could be that the cooling fan runs and drains the battery - and that fan would drain it easily, it draws way more current than something like a dome light.  But, he wonders if a weak battery might cause the relay to degrade, then the dying relay drains the already weakening battery, and presto, you have a REALLY dead battery.  He's seen some other instances of where a weak battery or alternator has caused issues, and thinks this might be one of them.

Well, I got the new alternator in March 2016, and a new battery and relay yesterday.  I should be set... right?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 11:59:25 am »
Fingers crossed!!!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:11 pm »
Well, I got the new alternator in March 2016, and a new battery and relay yesterday.  I should be set... right?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2017, 01:38:29 pm »

That was my way of thinking positive.  A fully discharged battery isn't good so it's not a bad idea to replace it with a brand new one for 10 bucks. 

Makes sense. I do wonder if the 8 year warranty starts all over again with the replacement or if it's 8 years from the originally purchased battery?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2017, 05:48:28 pm »
Warranty reset.  Eight years from now.