Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 506267 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #1120 on: October 16, 2017, 09:14:27 pm »
The blind support for this company is frightening.

People equate Tesla to Apple, which is ridiculous.  They might have their flaws, but Apple brings products to market and sell them and makes massive profits.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #1121 on: October 16, 2017, 09:15:34 pm »
That article is suspect a bit.  They talk like spot welding steel is some dark art.

No kidding.  Other makes have used steel in various strengths and aluminum without these issues for decades.  WTF?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 16, 2017, 10:20:01 pm »

Except no one dies if your iPhone drops a call.

My daughter might disagree with that...

;D

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #1123 on: October 19, 2017, 10:07:05 pm »
So I guess it would have been useful to build a number of pre-production units after all.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 19, 2017, 10:42:20 pm »
So I guess it would have been useful to build a number of pre-production units after all.

...said just about everybody in the world who works in the business (and many who don't)....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: October 20, 2017, 05:38:59 am »

...said just about everybody in the world who works in the business (and many who don't)....

Yup.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #1126 on: October 20, 2017, 08:35:03 am »
I was a big Telsa fan before the Model 3 fiasco started (Wiper controls, no streaming audio, product delays, racial harassment lawsuit, controversial firing of employees)
I still respect and admire Elon Musk.. but am losing my confidence in Tesla's ability to produce a "budget" electric car..not a budget car

Nissan... please bring out the 200 mile leaf soon or i will have to buy the bolt (although there may be nothing wrong with it...CR has Bolt as the most reliable Chevy model... i just have to convince myself to buy a Chevy that's not a Camaro or a vette either of which is not what i will need in a year or so)..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 08:38:10 am by CSH »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #1127 on: October 21, 2017, 06:14:15 pm »
I was a big Telsa fan before the Model 3 fiasco started (Wiper controls, no streaming audio, product delays, racial harassment lawsuit, controversial firing of employees)
I still respect and admire Elon Musk.. but am losing my confidence in Tesla's ability to produce a "budget" electric car..not a budget car

Nissan... please bring out the 200 mile leaf soon or i will have to buy the bolt (although there may be nothing wrong with it...CR has Bolt as the most reliable Chevy model... i just have to convince myself to buy a Chevy that's not a Camaro or a vette either of which is not what i will need in a year or so)..

the question is, why would you spend 60-70k bucks on a car that is half baked?  sorry i'm not into being a beta tester for 60k thank you.  i'd wait to see what the big oems bring in the next year or 2. maybe nissan on the 25th will knock 1 out of the park.  audi e tron quattro?  jag i pace?  but i think these 2 are going to be really expensive.
IIRC the Leaf 2.0 with an LG 60kWh battery is coming for 2019MY. I think it will prove to be a no-compromise car. And then maybe a year later the eSUV, which is to be unveiled in a couple of days?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 21, 2017, 11:50:12 pm »
Tick, tick, tick.  That's the clock ticking away on Tesla - time is limited until Toyota and Honda (especially Toyota) make some real gains in EV technology and start building well engineered, highly reliable, long range EVs.

If Tesla wants to survive long term, it's vitally important that the get the III right and start acting like a real mass production auto maker.  The niche market of the $150K cars works very differently than the <$50K market.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #1129 on: October 22, 2017, 12:23:10 am »
yup - it seems obvious they need to concentrate 100% on making the III a reliable car with expected features, and good production numbers. Not on 10 other projects for 2040...

If they keep screwing up the III, it will flop, and Tesla will be in huge trouble.

so why have they not done it yet?

I am seriously considering cancelling my order and just getting a used Volt until a better III alternative shows up.

Tesla, get your damn act together.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #1130 on: October 22, 2017, 01:01:31 am »
Half baked is the perfect desceiption for model 3 right now

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 22, 2017, 07:30:11 am »
yup - it seems obvious they need to concentrate 100% on making the III a reliable car with expected features, and good production numbers. Not on 10 other projects for 2040...

If they keep screwing up the III, it will flop, and Tesla will be in huge trouble.

I am seriously considering cancelling my order and just getting a used Volt until a better III alternative shows up.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.....

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 22, 2017, 08:45:01 am »

The current Volt is a very nice car.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #1134 on: October 22, 2017, 02:44:29 pm »
I really want to like Tesla, but they are making it hard for me to.  From their crazy price point to shoddy build quality, to lack of simple features, it's really hard to take them seriously.  I've mentioned before that I can totally see myself buying my first EV in a couple of years, so we'll see how things change between now and then.  If I were to buy an EV today, Tesla wouldn't even remotely be on my radar. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 22, 2017, 05:30:08 pm »

dont know if you are serious, or that was a thinly veiled attempt at a compliment/agreement...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 22, 2017, 07:20:21 pm »

dont know if you are serious, or that was a thinly veiled attempt at a compliment/agreement...
What will it take for you to finally throw in the towel?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 22, 2017, 10:24:20 pm »

What will it take for you to finally throw in the towel?

if these early "oversights" end up being on my car [ie if I cannot play any of my own music, no radio]

or of the powertrain turns out to be not what was promised [range / power]

if I cannot spec a stripper model with a vegan interior with the colour and wheel choice I want

that is what it will take

so far...disgruntled and looking elsewhere for contingency options like a 2014 Volt etc.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 22, 2017, 10:42:01 pm »
I really want to like Tesla, but they are making it hard for me to.

I want EVs to succeed and I love that Tesla is helping drive demand and technology - but they need to stop blue-skying the crap out of everything.

What shocks me is the number of people that assume that because Toyota isn't selling an EV that they're not working on models.  Whoops.  They're just not in the business of dropping experimental cars on people.  Look back to the original Prius.  Wow, it was a well sorted car - amazing considering the amount of new tech it has.  Those old little sedans are still driving around.  The RAV EV was ahead of it's time.

Toyota doesn't mind selling to early adopters, but they don't sell "beta version" products.  When they drop EVs on the market, they will be mass-sellable products that Toyota will make money on from day one.  These aren't halo cars.  They see EVs as the car equivalent to mass transit.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 23, 2017, 06:05:43 am »
I really want to like Tesla, but they are making it hard for me to.

I want EVs to succeed and I love that Tesla is helping drive demand and technology - but they need to stop blue-skying the crap out of everything.

What shocks me is the number of people that assume that because Toyota isn't selling an EV that they're not working on models.  Whoops.  They're just not in the business of dropping experimental cars on people.  Look back to the original Prius.  Wow, it was a well sorted car - amazing considering the amount of new tech it has.  Those old little sedans are still driving around.  The RAV EV was ahead of it's time.

Toyota doesn't mind selling to early adopters, but they don't sell "beta version" products.  When they drop EVs on the market, they will be mass-sellable products that Toyota will make money on from day one.  These aren't halo cars.  They see EVs as the car equivalent to mass transit.
But also important (for the car companies) is it has to be economically viable...it needs to make money. Remember, Toyota had the electric Rav4 back in 1997. It was reliable and had a range of 100 miles.

EVs need to be able to make money, or at the very worst, lose very little for them to continue to pursue them.