Author Topic: I don't always agree with lawyers, but..  (Read 2614 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
I don't always agree with lawyers, but..
« on: April 30, 2017, 03:26:31 pm »
This time I do! Having done my own research going back many years, he's right...

http://www.iheartradio.ca/am800/news/windsor-lawyer-points-at-auto-insurance-industry-for-elevated-costs-1.2576508
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: I don't always agree with lawyers, but..
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 03:44:07 pm »
IMHO car and home insurance should be government run. Federally (except that would introduce a problem with how health insurance is provincial......for the record I think that should be Federal too.....now we have to deal with the QC issue, oh great)

That said I could acquiesce with a system where liability / basic accident benefits is government run, while coverage for your own car's damage is privatized. But I don't see why it can't all just be public.

I should note when I say government run I mean in a crown corp quasi-corporate entity that doesn't generate profit for itself. All profits ultimately go to "the bank" for a buffer and if it gets too big then rates are reduced until it roughly balances (while still maintaining a buffer). Get some actuaries involved. A technocratic institution.

Also someone has to go to town on all the crooked bodyshops and accident scammers.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 04:16:57 pm »
I was peripherally involved with an Ontario plan for public car insurance back in the '80s when Bob Rae was thinking about it.   I made myself unpopular at the company by suggesting that the government just bought the BC software, a handful  of 2nd hand IBM mainframes to run it on and did the minimum initial fixes...different post codes and stuff like that.   Started it up and let it run, bugs and all, although I suspect it might have been a fairly rugged software suite. But when you double the number of rows in a database bad things can happen ( I wonder if it was something like an old IBM file system rather than, say, DB2, at the time.
 Fixed it up later if ever for bilingualism and other more complex stuff.

One argument against public insurance nowadays is that the US owned insurance companies would sue the province for billions of loss of business.  I don't think they'd get far with that as NAFTA does not apply to sub national jurisdictions... but it is a convenient argument for government.     Another one would be, I bet, the assorted changes in Human rights legislation over the last 30 years that the cost of  mass firings when the private companies went out of business would somehow fall on the government...could be... I have heard this one when discussing getting rid of the LCBO as well
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 04:54:27 pm »
One merely has to look at profits pre and post no fault to see why the insurance companies wanted no fault so badly

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 05:23:44 pm »
IMHO car and home insurance should be government run. Federally (except that would introduce a problem with how health insurance is provincial......for the record I think that should be Federal too.....now we have to deal with the QC issue, oh great)

That said I could acquiesce with a system where liability / basic accident benefits is government run, while coverage for your own car's damage is privatized. But I don't see why it can't all just be public.

I should note when I say government run I mean in a crown corp quasi-corporate entity that doesn't generate profit for itself. All profits ultimately go to "the bank" for a buffer and if it gets too big then rates are reduced until it roughly balances (while still maintaining a buffer). Get some actuaries involved. A technocratic institution.

Also someone has to go to town on all the crooked bodyshops and accident scammers.

:fall:

I could have typed that exact post and no one would have blinked.

Insurance makes total sense to me as an infrastructure device, automatically applied to all and all automatically in the risk pool.  Since basic liability insurance is mandatory, there is highly inelastic demand.  I'd also be in favour of examining novel ways of charging for liability insurance - I read an abstract proposing so many cents per liter of gasoline - meaning you paid for your insurance as your drove.  I didn't dive into the rest of the paper, but I was intrigued by the idea of consumptive charging for insurance.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 05:38:49 pm »

:fall:

I could have typed that exact post and no one would have blinked.

Insurance makes total sense to me as an infrastructure device, automatically applied to all and all automatically in the risk pool.  Since basic liability insurance is mandatory, there is highly inelastic demand.  I'd also be in favour of examining novel ways of charging for liability insurance - I read an abstract proposing so many cents per liter of gasoline - meaning you paid for your insurance as your drove.  I didn't dive into the rest of the paper, but I was intrigued by the idea of consumptive charging for insurance.
You seem to think I am a Millennial Ayn Rand enthusiast.

Jaeger seems to think I am a dyed in the wool Trump supporter named Cletus.

I suppose when one is way off the deep end, one way or another, the nuances of everyone who isn't drinking the same Kool aid you are get really hard to distinguish, no matter how wide. 

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 05:43:46 pm »
So I can't ascribe extremist viewpoints to you in the same you do me?
 ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 05:52:20 pm »
So I can't ascribe extremist viewpoints to you in the same you do me?
 ;D
Our education system needs some more funding for grammar. Let's take it out of healthcare for boomers.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 05:56:24 pm »
Damn old person thumbs.  You know what I meant even if my typing sucks.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 06:00:11 pm »
Damn old person thumbs.  You know what I meant even if my typing sucks.
Yes I did. And the answer to your question is that yes, you indeed should not ascribe extreme views to me as I do to you, but I understand why you would given your vantage point. This was implied in my original comment.

We might need some extra funding for reading comprehension too!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 10:01:25 am »

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 10:11:35 am »
yeah love living in Aus - insurance and rego are one payment at the DMV - my car runs me about $800 a year for the lot on a foreign licence

Canadian insurance is crazy...our super safe Saab registered to a mid-thirties woman is more expensive to insure than my very unsafe Mirage registered to this 33 year old Sebastian Vettel wannabe...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 07:43:47 pm »
The thing that annoys me further, is that per stats, Ontario is THE safest place to drive in North America.  Yet...our insurance is among the highest.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 08:07:29 pm »
The thing that annoys me further, is that per stats, Ontario is THE safest place to drive in North America.  Yet...our insurance is among the highest.
Politicians aren't cheap to buy.

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 03:06:39 pm »

Maybe, sometimes, correlation does imply causation. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2017, 12:56:58 pm »
   Yeah...one stop health...car and home insurance. I would go with that. Across the land.

But you will have to ban unions and over the top entitlements that no private worker can obtain.

Any pension plan would need to be funded entirely by the recipients.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 09:23:36 am by Rupert »