Author Topic: The Birdwatching Thread  (Read 56660 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: The Birdwatching Thread
« Reply #440 on: May 02, 2023, 10:37:52 pm »
A pair of Cardinals show up at the feeder occasionally.  Any time i spot them, by the time i grab my camera they have taken off.  Never in the same spot for more than a few seconds.
Managed to catch one this time - didn't notice the female hiding in the neighbours cedar until i looked at the picture.

Good catch!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2024, 03:50:24 pm »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #442 on: March 04, 2024, 04:00:43 pm »

Life-size photo.   :rofl2:

What kind of bird?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 04, 2024, 04:03:20 pm »
Downy Woodpecker

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #444 on: March 04, 2024, 04:09:25 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 04, 2024, 04:40:21 pm »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #446 on: March 04, 2024, 05:17:50 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 27, 2024, 06:18:50 pm »
Well I finally got to see "them"....A large group of American White Pelicans have made their home here the last couple of years.

Went fishing today and there they were! Huge birds, BTW.

(Not my photos but another guy that was there photographing them)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #448 on: March 27, 2024, 06:20:21 pm »
Cool pic. I like bird watching on patios.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #449 on: March 27, 2024, 06:37:09 pm »
:rofl2:

Ya pelicans are massive, wingspan of up to 3m. 

Canada geese have been back around these parts for about a week.  They should have stayed south for another few weeks, waterbodies are still frozen over and temps have been down to minus mid teens overnight. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #450 on: March 27, 2024, 07:51:41 pm »
When we moved a couple of months ago one of the things we thought we'd might miss the most about our old place was the abundance of cardinals that used hang out in the yard.  Wife noticed some winging around the yard a few times at the new place but this morning I was happy to hear one chirping away loudly this morning.  Such a cool and entertaining bird, and definitely the loudest bird around here.  Pileated wood peckers are noisy as well, but they usually don't hang out for long.  Cardinals will sit there and chirp away for hours.   

Was entertaining watching the dog chase Canada geese first time he saw them this year.  He won't chase any other birds, but crows and geese are the exception.  Smart dog! ;D  He won't even bother with the geese now that they are here to stay.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: March 27, 2024, 08:03:16 pm »
When we moved a couple of months ago one of the things we thought we'd might miss the most about our old place was the abundance of cardinals that used hang out in the yard.  Wife noticed some winging around the yard a few times at the new place but this morning I was happy to hear one chirping away loudly this morning.  Such a cool and entertaining bird, and definitely the loudest bird around here.  Pileated wood peckers are noisy as well, but they usually don't hang out for long.  Cardinals will sit there and chirp away for hours.   

Was entertaining watching the dog chase Canada geese first time he saw them this year.  He won't chase any other birds, but crows and geese are the exception.  Smart dog! ;D  He won't even bother with the geese now that they are here to stay.
I hate Cardinals!

The males attack themselves in the mirror/windows.

One year, I had one stake out the passenger mirror on my ISF. It was a relentless assault. Along with the droppings and :censor: it put on the mirror, side window, etc

About as close as I've come in many, many years to shooting a bird...

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: March 27, 2024, 08:22:29 pm »

I hate Cardinals!

One year, I had one stake out the passenger mirror on my ISF. It was a relentless assault. Along with the droppings and :censor: it put on the mirror, side window, etc

You sure that was a cardinal?  Never seen one do that but it's very common for robbins to do that.  They can be a real pita that way.  Robbins used to attack the basement windows at my old place almost every year.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: March 27, 2024, 08:42:39 pm »

I hate Cardinals!

You sure that was a cardinal?  Never seen one do that but it's very common for robbins to do that.  They can be a real pita that way.  Robbins used to attack the basement windows at my old place almost every year.
LOL [emoji38] Of course I'm sure!

And yes, the Robins are brutal too (far worse)! Had one do the same thing on the same car!! LOL [emoji38]

Maybe it was the car!

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: March 27, 2024, 08:51:51 pm »

I hate Cardinals!

And yes, the Robins are brutal too (far worse)! Had one do the same thing on the same car!! LOL [emoji38]

Maybe it was the car!

Meant to ask that.  What colour was it?  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: March 27, 2024, 10:52:57 pm »

I hate Cardinals!

Maybe it was the car!

Meant to ask that.  What colour was it?  ;D
Red! LOL [emoji38]

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #456 on: April 20, 2024, 05:20:54 pm »
This is one of the neatest woodpeckers that visits us, think it's a red bellied..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 20, 2024, 05:36:04 pm »

This is one of the neatest woodpeckers that visits us, think it's a red bellied..

Yes!

It's a male.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #458 on: April 20, 2024, 06:10:13 pm »
Yeah, that’s a neat one. We get a few woodpeckers here, but not that one AFAIK. Cool that there’s so much red on its head. The males here usually just have a spot of red.