Author Topic: TESLA Model III  (Read 506280 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: TESLA Model III
« Reply #680 on: May 28, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
Musk said the Model 3 name has led to confusion among buyers who think it's a next-generation Tesla that's better than the Model S.

Tesla is so concerned that people are misinterpreting the Model 3 that it wrote about the need to temper expectations in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing in early May.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-marketing-strategy-2017-5

I wonder how many of those pre-orders were from people that thought that through some Musk-miracle they were going to get a better Model S at a fraction of the price.

only people who are complete idiots...anyone who is tech savvy enough to pre-order a Model 3 should be savvy enough to know how the car business works, or economics, or money etc.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 28, 2017, 05:04:13 pm »
Tesla posted that page to help figure differences between the 2 series

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/compare?
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 28, 2017, 06:34:05 pm »
Musk said the Model 3 name has led to confusion among buyers who think it's a next-generation Tesla that's better than the Model S.

Tesla is so concerned that people are misinterpreting the Model 3 that it wrote about the need to temper expectations in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing in early May.

I wonder how many of those pre-orders were from people that thought that through some Musk-miracle they were going to get a better Model S at a fraction of the price.

only people who are complete idiots...anyone who is tech savvy enough to pre-order a Model 3 should be savvy enough to know how the car business works, or economics, or money etc.

You're joking right?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 28, 2017, 07:52:26 pm »

You're joking right?
He's turning into a true believer like Smart Electric....a bit sad, really.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #684 on: May 28, 2017, 08:43:21 pm »
Well to be fair Tesla never announced that the Model 3 would be a better and improved Model S. If people don't do a minimum of research and make up stories out of thin air based on nothing before putting a $1K deposit on a car that will be available nobody knows for sure when, I feel it is their problem.

My 2 cents..:)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #685 on: May 28, 2017, 09:22:34 pm »
Well to be fair Tesla never announced that the Model 3 would be a better and improved Model S. If people don't do a minimum of research and make up stories out of thin air based on nothing before putting a $1K deposit on a car that will be available nobody knows for sure when, I feel it is their problem.

I bet most people buying them are IT people so they are use to iPhone/ Samsung phones were the highest number is the latest and greatest producted 
So in that case they already did their research  :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 28, 2017, 09:31:43 pm »
 :iagree: that was exactly my point...perhaps I should have worded it differently. Was I not clear?

I am in no way a Tesla slappy...it is just the right car for our needs. That may change depending on where we live, might not get it after all.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 28, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »
:iagree: that was exactly my point...perhaps I should have worded it differently. Was I not clear?

I am in no way a Tesla slappy...it is just the right car for our needs. That may change depending on where we live, might not get it after all.
Well a Bolt would have met your needs I remember you telling us.....but it wasn't aesthetically pleasing enough for you.

So that's nudges you into Tesla slap territory....[emoji1]

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 28, 2017, 10:44:39 pm »

I bet most people buying them are IT people so they are use to iPhone/ Samsung phones were the highest number is the latest and greatest producted 
So in that case they already did their research  :rofl2:

And determined that 3 was higher than S.  :)

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 28, 2017, 10:54:18 pm »
This marketing mix up is due to Tesla's naming scheme and Musk has taken responsibility for causing the issue. The very fact that they had to make that comparison web page would indicate that there must be a lot of people reading it and saying, "Wait, what? So that's what the model 3 is?" I bet a lot of those people placed deposits without knowing what they were buying. It's a fine example of Enviro/Tech bandwagonism.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: May 28, 2017, 11:27:47 pm »

Well a Bolt would have met your needs I remember you telling us.....but it wasn't aesthetically pleasing enough for you.

So that's nudges you into Tesla slap territory....[emoji1]

If I am spending tens of thousands of dollars on a car, I want it to look good. The Bolt looks god awful in my opinion. Why would I make a concession in looks? I would wince every time I walked up to it, and punch myself knowing I spent lots of hard earned money on a car that does not look good to me, and that I would not be proud of. Now the Tesla is no Aston Martin, but it is better than the Bolt. So it wins.

If GM made an EV Camaro...that might be another story. But they don't. They stuck the batteries in a frumpy little bubble car with no testosterone at all.

No slappy.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 07:59:42 am by ChaosphereIX »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 29, 2017, 07:19:20 am »
This marketing mix up is due to Tesla's naming scheme and Musk has taken responsibility for causing the issue. The very fact that they had to make that comparison web page would indicate that there must be a lot of people reading it and saying, "Wait, what? So that's what the model 3 is?" I bet a lot of those people placed deposits without knowing what they were buying. It's a fine example of Enviro/Tech bandwagonism.

Marketing mix up? Pretty much standard in the car industry IMHO. Look at Volvo line up, a T5 used to be a 5 cyl turbo, now it's a turbo 4, why not a T4?? If you slapa supercharger on top of the turbo, it becomes a T4S? No i't's a T6. And if you add plug in hybrid it must be T4S PHEV? No, of course not it's a T8..  :rofl2:

I could go trough the Infiniti mess of model designations but I'm sure you've got the idea..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 29, 2017, 07:47:12 am »

No slappy.

No slappy.

The denial is strong in this one!  [emoji1]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:44 am »

No slappy.

No slappy.

The denial is strong in this one!  [emoji1]

cause its true?

Would buy another car if it was better, but please show me one that is, that also fits my needs...I'll be waiting...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:29:03 am by ChaosphereIX »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 29, 2017, 08:24:52 am »
Not that Ron would ever be considered a Toyota/Lexus slappy...  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: May 29, 2017, 08:48:31 am »
Not that Ron would ever be considered a Toyota/Lexus slappy...  ;)
Oh you know, I just bought a car for my needs.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 29, 2017, 09:00:10 am »
Of course, like we all do.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:09 am »
I'm not sure if my sarcasm came though loudly enough lol

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: May 29, 2017, 10:54:13 am »
I'm not sure if my sarcasm came though loudly enough lol

perhaps more straightforward language then....what is wrong with me getting a Tesla 3? You seem to think I am making a mistake or buying the wrong car...or am I reading you wrong?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: May 29, 2017, 12:40:10 pm »

Marketing mix up? Pretty much standard in the car industry IMHO. Look at Volvo line up, a T5 used to be a 5 cyl turbo, now it's a turbo 4, why not a T4?? If you slapa supercharger on top of the turbo, it becomes a T4S? No i't's a T6. And if you add plug in hybrid it must be T4S PHEV? No, of course not it's a T8..  :rofl2:

I could go trough the Infiniti mess of model designations but I'm sure you've got the idea..

Yes, marketing mix up. Despite your contention that this is business as usual, the CEO of Tesla views it differently. Here is a quote from Elon Musk himself (you read the linked article, correct?):

"We're going to be a broken record on this front," Musk said earlier this month. "But we really have to be emphatic for an error that I, unfortunately, take full responsibility in naming something that inherently would cause confusion in marketing."

And yes, lots of brands have confusing model names. However, I've yet to see any that have had to produce a webpage explaining why a $35,000 car is different from a $100,000 car.