Author Topic: Are you a "lawn" person?  (Read 114202 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Are you a "lawn" person?
« Reply #400 on: May 28, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
Tired to mow yesterday.  Fookin' mossies are so bad, UGH.  Going to go out early in the morning and see if it's better.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #401 on: May 28, 2017, 09:52:58 pm »
Tired to mow yesterday.  Fookin' mossies are so bad, UGH.  Going to go out early in the morning and see if it's better.

mossies?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #402 on: May 28, 2017, 10:11:01 pm »
Stupid question
Did you open valve for the gas line ?
There's no valve near as I can tell. Either way, I wouldn't have closed it if there was one.

I think the issue was a clogged fuel line. But in trying to pull it off I managed to rip it. So I'll have to find a replacement line this week.

At least it's supposed to rain all week...
There's no valve on any lawnmower I've or my family have owned my whole life. And that includes riding mowers, lawn tractors, snow blowers, weed trimmers, chain saws, etc
I have seen a lot of lawnmower that have a little gas shut valve , mine has one

Both my snowblower and lawn tractor have one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 28, 2017, 10:31:16 pm »
Wow...I guess I'm sheltered lol.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #404 on: May 28, 2017, 10:41:15 pm »
Mossies = mosquitoes.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #405 on: May 28, 2017, 10:45:13 pm »
I feel dawn & dusk to be the worst time for 'mossies'.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 28, 2017, 10:47:17 pm »
Mossies = mosquitoes.

Not sure how that would affect my business if we had mosquitoes.  It's been a horrible spring, over 100mm more rain in April, and 125mm more rain in May so far then last year.  This has really eaten into my profits, as I have to hire extra hands to get the jobs done on time.  On top of that having problems with my brand NEW (2 week old Toro).  After multiple attempts to repair, dealer is replacing the coil I think.  Anyway, looking on the bright side, I don't have to worry about bugs. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 28, 2017, 10:48:51 pm »
I went for an early morning run this morning and when I got home, I walked around in the yard cooling off, and the mossies were nearly completely absent.  They seem to fire up about 10am or so and are thick until gawd knows when.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 28, 2017, 11:10:05 pm »
What do those of you with dogs do for lawn care? My back yard is slowly going to hell because I don't want to spray or spread anything that the dogs might get into or eat. I was using some WD-40 today to loosen up a pair of pliers and some spilled into the sidewalk. Next thing I knew there was a dog grinding her shoulder across the the spot.  ::) I tried manually removing dandelions (with the awesome Fisker tool) but the remaining hole just seems to attract the dogs to dig. They don't normally dig but disturbed ground seems to trigger them to try. I don't really have a big problem with pee spots but it would be nice to kill some weeds and fertilize with something that works and wouldn't harm the dogs. Any suggestions?
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-433
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #409 on: May 29, 2017, 12:22:46 am »

Edmonton is usually not so bad. Whenever we visit Saskatoon I can't believe how bad the mosquitoes are. Just crazy and everyone says "Winnipeg is worse!" No mountains and those mosquitos are reason enough to never live there...

Oh and my Honda lawn mower has a fuel valve.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #410 on: May 29, 2017, 12:26:43 am »
What do those of you with dogs do for lawn care? My back yard is slowly going to hell because I don't want to spray or spread anything that the dogs might get into or eat. I was using some WD-40 today to loosen up a pair of pliers and some spilled into the sidewalk. Next thing I knew there was a dog grinding her shoulder across the the spot.  ::) I tried manually removing dandelions (with the awesome Fisker tool) but the remaining hole just seems to attract the dogs to dig. They don't normally dig but disturbed ground seems to trigger them to try. I don't really have a big problem with pee spots but it would be nice to kill some weeds and fertilize with something that works and wouldn't harm the dogs. Any suggestions?

Sad to say, but I don't think there's any way to have a nice backyard if dogs are involved.

Our attempt at a solution was to split our back yard in half using a low fence. The dog half is just wood chips, so they can't really do any damage. Our half is landscaped and nicer, so we keep the dogs out of there.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #411 on: May 29, 2017, 01:54:54 am »
I used to hit the brown spots with lime, then re-seed after a week or two. Seemed to work ok.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: May 29, 2017, 08:01:40 am »
I'm guessing some type of gluten meal weed control might be the only option.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
« Reply #413 on: May 29, 2017, 08:48:19 am »
I'm becoming one, however I live in a condo and can only do such much with the lawn.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #414 on: May 29, 2017, 09:11:57 am »
My solution was adding interlock and a pool. Arrow pees on the bushes still so it was a bit of trial and error to find pee resistant vegetation. Cedars are pee prone but yews don't seem to be. Same with Burning Bush or Russian Sage, all good choices.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #415 on: May 29, 2017, 10:17:23 am »
My solution was adding interlock and a pool. Arrow pees on the bushes still so it was a bit of trial and error to find pee resistant vegetation. Cedars are pee prone but yews don't seem to be. Same with Burning Bush or Russian Sage, all good choices.
Railton
That is an amazing looking setup!

My next home will be grass-free as far as bylaws allow. :)
For now, kids' safety takes precedence so grass it is.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #416 on: May 29, 2017, 06:14:44 pm »
Dat backyard tho :drool:

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 29, 2017, 08:43:40 pm »

Been here almost 7 years now.  Every April I do spend an hour removing the weeds in the backyard manually, after that I spent 10 min every 2 weeks to keep the grass weed free.  I fertilize 3 times a year, with overseed.  And the dog (female) pees in the back quite often.  The back grows so much, twice as fast as the front. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #418 on: May 29, 2017, 08:58:38 pm »
I had acres of grass to cut for 15 years and then I traded that for no grass; concrete and a forest (side of a ravine but since banned by the local Conservation Authority for homes  :-X).  Now I expend considerable effort keeping a chemical perimeter around the house to beat back the billion or so ants in the forest debris which are impossible to locate.  With the grass, the ant hills were easy to spot and nuke.  Now I'm in a more of a permanent Stalingrad situation.  :P

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #419 on: May 29, 2017, 09:08:12 pm »
We were in the same boat Cord, couldn't spray because the dog would eat dandelions occasionally.  Also couldn't keep up with dead grass pee spots.  We put the old girl down last fall the the grass is recuperating nicely.  Sprayed for weeds for the first time in years.  I would try to keep up with pulling them manually but seemed a futile effort.  Once we get a dog again the back grass will inevitably go to sh!t. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.