Author Topic: A New Pickup Truck?  (Read 49609 times)

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
A New Pickup Truck?
« on: May 22, 2017, 09:02:04 pm »
I'm potentially in the market for a new truck this summer/fall to do deliveries of kegs and pallets of bottles.  The Pathfinder is just not going to cut it for this.  I haven't owned a truck since the early nineties when I had a Ranger, so I'm completely out of touch with today's trucks.  I'll certainly test most of them, but both the Ram and F-150 would be tops my list........as of now. 

So for hauling kegs and pallets of bottles, what would be a good choice?  A four door crew cab is a requirement as well. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: A New Pickup Truck?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 09:22:55 pm »
I'm potentially in the market for a new truck this summer/fall to do deliveries of kegs and pallets of bottles.  The Pathfinder is just not going to cut it for this.  I haven't owned a truck since the early nineties when I had a Ranger, so I'm completely out of touch with today's trucks.  I'll certainly test most of them, but both the Ram and F-150 would be tops my list........as of now. 

So for hauling kegs and pallets of bottles, what would be a good choice?  A four door crew cab is a requirement as well.
All the pickups are about the same , I do not think there is a bad one out there
What weight are you  hauling ?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:34:11 pm »
what's the $$$?

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 09:38:58 pm »
$40kish or so.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:39:44 pm »
I'm no expert on trucks but based on what I read and heard, I'd go old school. A port injected V8 (if they still make them) + a regular 6 spd tranny. I recall an MFG sprayed bed liner is better than a dealer's one. I also like the bumper step idea.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:42:31 pm »

All the pickups are about the same , I do not think there is a bad one out there
What weight are you  hauling ?

2000 pounds or so......just guessing at this point.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 09:48:50 pm »
At that weight you're into 3/4 ton territory, unless one of the manufacturers has a heavy duty package for their half tons.  Ford used to, not sure about others anymore.

Is there a requirement on box size?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »
What's the typical weight capacity of your typical truck?  I plan on doing lots of research in the coming months.    Pallets are typically 40" X 48" and I'ld like to to be able to fit two if possible.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 10:24:18 pm »
What's the typical weight capacity of your typical truck?  I plan on doing lots of research in the coming months.    Pallets are typically 40" X 48" and I'ld like to to be able to fit two if possible.

Crew cab half tons are typically rated well under 1500lbs, and everything that is in the truck, including the cab, goes against the hauling capacity. I know, it's seems ridiculous that some minivans/SUVs have as much hauling capability as a half ton.

If two pallets are 80" long (assuming box will fit them 48" wide which it should), a 6.5' box likely won't have enough length with tailgate closed. Could leave tailgate open if everything is strapped down if you're only short an inch or two.

A crew cab with an 8' box would be a long ass truck.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:27:16 pm by bridgecity »

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 10:30:27 pm »
Any modern 1/2 ton will suffice. I'd personally pick a basic GM/Chevy (fuel economy champs hands down) or F150 with the 5.0 V8. I recently drove a 2015 GMC Sierra with the 4.3 v6 and came away extremely impressed with the power and smoothness it provided.

Like Airbalancer said, there are no bad trucks out there. I do find the Ram pretty dated though as it's had the same shape now since 2009. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the refinement and every day usability of modern trucks.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:43:46 pm »
Get a nice-looking trailer.  Tow it with your Pathfinder.  :rofl2:

I'm serious about the trailer, though.  Ok, get a new truck and a new trailer.   ;)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 10:49:49 pm »

Crew cab half tons are typically rated well under 1500lbs, and everything that is in the truck, including the cab, goes against the hauling capacity. I know, it's seems ridiculous that some minivans/SUVs have as much hauling capability as a half ton.

If two pallets are 80" long (assuming box will fit them 48" wide which it should), a 6.5' box likely won't have enough length with tailgate closed. Could leave tailgate open if everything is strapped down if you're only short an inch or two.

An extended cab would be a good compromise. Better deals on them too than the crew cabs.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 11:07:55 pm »
Just had a look at the Ford website, looks like they offer payload packages on most configurations of their half tons.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 12:13:25 am »

What!? Under 1500lbs?! Nope nope nope...

Here Canuck...good info: https://www.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_CAN_2016.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 12:27:33 am »

Here Canuck...good info: https://www.ford.ca/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_CAN_2016.pdf

depends if he is towing or putting the cargo in the bed...difference there  :P

just about any half ton with heavy duty towing / capacity package can handle that, but 2000lbs might be at or just above the upper limit [typical 5000lb truck with a ~7500 GVWR allows for 2500lbs of cargo, fuel, people, etc. ]a 3/4 ton typically goes way beyond that and allows a lot more headroom. So I would say shop for a 1/2 ton with a towing/capacity package, or a 3/4 ton.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:46:12 am by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 12:43:38 am »

Nope, nope, nope?

Payloads listed are maximums in your attachment, as in 4x2 regular cab with heavy duty payload package, which can mean specific sized wheels, etc. Every bit of weight added to the truck reduces the payload rating, ie is added the GCW which means less payload. Crew cab and 4x4 add a lot of weight.

I stand by my statement that crew cabs are typically under 1500lb payload.  Most are 4x4 which doesn't help. As I mentioned above, Ford does have payload packages.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 06:19:49 am »
Get a nice-looking trailer.  Tow it with your Pathfinder.  :rofl2:

I'm serious about the trailer, though.  Ok, get a new truck and a new trailer.   ;)

That's nota bad idea at all.  A trailer would be much easier to load and have more capacity.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 07:06:44 am »
Are pallets removed/loaded with a fork lift?

What about one of those Sprinter vans things?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 07:36:03 am »
If you're putting two pallets in the bed of a pickup, make sure you have a good bedliner, because they'll push them in, the forklift won't reach far enough to set the front one in place.  And it will have to be dragged back to where it can be unloaded as well, assuming you'll unload with a forklift.

Knowing most forklift operators, they'll bash hell out of your tailgate while doing this, unless you remove it.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 07:45:46 am »
2 pallets, is 8 ft, long box, add a crew cab, makes for a very long truck

I have friends with the Ram Ecodiesel and are very happy with them, get a trailer for heavy stuff
When towing they are at 15l / 100 km, empty they are around 9 L/100 km

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1108205_ford-f-150-pickup-to-get-v-6-diesel-engine-in-summer-2018