Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Acura MDX Elite  (Read 15548 times)

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Acura MDX Elite
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 06:02:34 pm »
The logic is there. I find neither the design nor the post complex. Perhaps you are simple. :)

Or maybe I just like clean, simple displays.

The voice command option is a valid point - you certainly don't have to use all those buttons if you don't choose to.  I just wish I could get past feeling like a Night Rider wannabe and actually use voice control.  :-[  But I literally cringe at talking to my car.  Don't use it now, didn't use it in the previous car either.

Jaeger

PS - I was just on the phone with my buddy in NY who owns the MDX I drove in.  I ribbed him good about his button collection.  :)  He's loving the ride, though - totally and completely happy with it.  His other car is a G37x, which recently replaced a 328i.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:05:50 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:23 am »
Or maybe I just like clean, simple displays.
i am the same way...i like clean simple lines/controls too...i also like the fact i was able to set up my phone and NAV system in 5 minutes without even having to use the manual (which is huge)...my car has all the same controls and adjustments (including NAV) with far less clutter and real estate on the dash.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 02:08:25 pm »
Jaeger is correct - some will like it, others not so much....just like everything else in the world.

But, I do  ::) every time I read a MDX review that has the reviewer embellishing the "zillion buttons, or "crazy busy dash" or "747 cockpit."

It's broken down into 3 simple sections. HVAC, stereo, menu navigation. Understanding that one just pushes the corresponding button in the corresponding section based on what task they're trying to accomplish should not be so difficult. Simple really.

Now I quite love how it's set up in comparison on other touch-screen or menu based systems I've used but I can understand, perhaps, while some would not.

Something else to note is that every command can also work by voice for any feature - HVAC, NAV, Music, whatever......so when it comes down to it one doesn't need buttons or a menu......the voice system works very well.   :)

Looks simple. If people find that difficult perhaps taking the bus is a better option  :)

I 'm not a fan of touch screens and I find the center stack in my TT RS clean and functional. A button for each mode then four button options and a a dial to move in a menu to the right of the screen.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12356
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 03:48:17 pm »
^^^ If the Acura dash looked like that, I'd have no complaints.

Jaeger

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 09:39:03 pm »
I think Acura should go with the Kia dash.  :D
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

Looks a little like a Euro-centric setup...knob on the right side?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

vdk

Test Drive: 2012 Acura MDX Elite
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:32 am »

Looks a little like a Euro-centric setup...knob on the right side?

Steering wheel controls ;)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »
Agreed. I feel like a putz talking to a car but it works best with NAV and Acura-Link. My button fetish works for the rest.

:iagree:

I'm glad I'm not the only one out there... I still haven't found a voice command system that I prefer to any of the touchscreens (but Honda/Acura is, I think (sometimes i get confused—I'll check again in the Pilot next week...), the only one I've found easy to use to pair a phone), but I prefer a console-mounted controller (iDrive, COMAND, etc) so I don't have to take my arm off the armrest... yeah, I really am that lazy, but it also seems the most intuitive to me to move the selection around the screen and a quick glance confirms I'm on the right choice before clicking—probably because I sit at a computer all day using a mouse, not pushing buttons on an 60s-era sci-fi envisioned futuristic nuclear reactor switchboard (which is what I imagine all you button lovers doing all day long—sounds cool!)... I can even imagine a track pad replacing the wheel/knob, maybe even on the back of the steering wheel for minimal hand waving distraction while driving.

If there are going to be a lot of buttons, it's nice to have some variety, like those toggles in the Rio or the old-school switches in the Minis.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman