Author Topic: Blueprint's 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron  (Read 84013 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprint's 2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron
« Reply #360 on: September 09, 2022, 09:51:24 am »
My guess would be that if you would've passed on PHEV and stick with ICE version, you would've not had all these issues. I think at the time, the PHEV was an afterthought on Audi, hence low volume seller/high parts & maintenance cost.

I looked long and hard at the A3 hatch when I got the GTI as I really liked it and probably I would've got the A3 instead if it wasn't for the PHEV.
A German PHEV? What could possibly go wrong?  LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #361 on: September 09, 2022, 09:57:26 am »
My guess would be that if you would've passed on PHEV and stick with ICE version, you would've not had all these issues. I think at the time, the PHEV was an afterthought on Audi, hence low volume seller/high parts & maintenance cost.

I looked long and hard at the A3 hatch when I got the GTI as I really liked it and probably I would've got the A3 instead if it wasn't for the PHEV.

The nearly $1k emissions issue, a/c fail and wastegate actuator issue are typical to all A3's. Only the rusting brakes are related to its EV-ness.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #362 on: November 17, 2022, 02:21:02 pm »
2 months out of Audi ownership now and it seems I dodged another bullet. Received a warranty extension notice on the "A3 fuel tank succion jet pump". Warranty on the part is extended to 15 years and 242,000 km, whichever occurs first. The letter came with a reimbursement form for any repairs to this faulty part.

Googled a bit to see what this implies - and it's a fun one:

The authorized Audi dealership deemed the car unsafe to drive and suggested that the independent mechanic park the vehicle outside of the mechanic shop because a simply spark could cause the vehicle to easily caught on fire. Audi also acknowledged that there are no available parts for the car as all of them are on indefinitely on backorder.

When pumping gas, it only allows for less than 5 consecutive seconds until the nozzle clicks off. It is soon followed by gas spilling out of the filler neck. Also accompanied by a rough running vehicle plus misfires. The vapor canister, along with the leak detection pump have already been replaced. Therefore the only issue that warrants these outcomes is suction pump failure. This is in recall 20y5. Thought it does not state my car needs it. Ive been stopped by multiple drivers on the roadway for gas spilling from the fuel door.

The fault causes the car to refuse refueling, barf up gas through the gas filler or down the lines to the charcoal canister, ruining it and risking a car fire.

Mmm... Wondering if my nearly 1k$ emissions repair was related to this. Audi covered 2/3 of the bill, but still...

Edit - that extended warranty tells me that they don't actually have a fix  ::)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 03:36:28 pm by Blueprint »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #363 on: November 17, 2022, 03:17:30 pm »
Yeesh

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 26, 2023, 09:52:39 am »
Neighbours still have their Q5's, both under warranty. The 2 y.o. has suffered a failed ball joint. The nearly 4 y.o. has already had both replaced. It's the full Stellantis experience but at a premium price.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #365 on: January 26, 2023, 12:41:47 pm »
Neighbours still have their Q5's, both under warranty. The 2 y.o. has suffered a failed ball joint. The nearly 4 y.o. has already had both replaced. It's the full Stellantis experience but at a premium price.

Q5s have never been reliable though... first the 2.0Ts had crazy oil consumption issues, then timing chains, wastegates, turbos, you name it!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 26, 2023, 12:48:39 pm »

Q5s have never been reliable though... first the 2.0Ts had crazy oil consumption issues, then timing chains, wastegates, turbos, you name it!

I think I just insulted Stellantis - Audi appears to be in a whole other league  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2023, 01:54:18 pm »
While we were on vacation, I received yet another recall notice for my ex-Audi, and this time it's a biggie. My car was tagged in the 2016-2017 production that received a traction battery casing that perhaps allowed water infiltration. Dealer removes and inspects the traction battery; if no corrosion found inside, the battery gets transferred to a newly designed casing. If corrosion is found, then an entire new battery is installed. That's a 2-day, $12k service if getting a full replacement.

Fun.

Now when I sold the car I even pre-filled the owership transfer card; all the guy had to do was mail it in. Apparently, he didn't. I won't follow-up. He wasn't very pleasing to work with, being a gold-chain wearing "uncle" type, foreman in the logistics sector (trucking). I was even told he was rude to a female staffer at the Subaru dealership. I had tons of other potential buyers, but he was first and I'm true to my word.

So I won't mail an ownership card. Besides, the recall notices are entertaining  ;D

Edit - appears this recall came up in the US ... THREE YEARS AGO !! Way to go, Audi Canada  ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 01:59:20 pm by Blueprint »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2023, 03:03:32 pm »
Yeesh. Vehicle registration is so worthwhile. Both our CRV and Vibe got free replacements of the Takeda airbags something like 15 years in

On the battery pack water infiltration, GM is having trouble with that too:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/recall-gmc-hummer-ev-battery-pack/69735/?folder=industry

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 22, 2024, 02:30:42 pm »
This is the car that keeps on giving. Just received a class-action suit email related to one of the recalls on the vehicle (the PODS fiasco). Looks very legit, and I could get up to $1.8k out of it  :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 11, 2024, 04:12:37 pm »
This is the car that keeps on giving. Just received a class-action suit email related to one of the recalls on the vehicle (the PODS fiasco). Looks very legit, and I could get up to $1.8k out of it  :)

Just filed it, and it applies to more models. If my claim is accepted, I should see a check by the end of the year.

The PODS issue relates to a problem with front passenger detection that wasn't reliable. Audi became aware of it and noticed owners in August of 2019, but had no solution yet. Audi adivised owners not to use the front passenger seat until a repair is available and executed - hence the class action suit. A first recall was performed, but failed to cure the problem, fleet-wide. A second recall issued in early 2022 finally worked. In my own car, the lights for the passenger airbag would go on and off, so indeed I did not trust the safety of the right front seat.

Glad I kept my sales contract and service docs - they're worth up to $1,800 in this class action.