Author Topic: Blueprint's 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited gas-fed urban buggy  (Read 21035 times)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Blueprint's 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited gas-fed urban buggy
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2022, 08:49:47 am »
Thanks again guys! Really hapy with the silver - so many red and slate-blue crossies around here, mine is different  :)

After much thinking, I'm having a basic XPel PPF done this Thursday (edges of hood and fenders, mirror caps - $325) plus the optional roof strip ($140). As for rustproofing, I opted for a yearly Ziebart application ($130), a non-drip paraffin based product, that I'll repeat one or two times down the road. The "permanent" options ($750) may be more thorough, but you're probably paying more for the warranty. The goo is going on Thursday PM.

Friday AM the WS-90s are getting mounted on the new alloys, which I'll test-fit prior. I bought a hard rubber jack extension with the slit to protect the car and provide extra height. I won't put them on just yet of course - we're still enjoying swimming pool weather  :)

Once the goo is done, wash and wax will follow!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2022, 09:06:07 am »
Thanks again guys! Really hapy with the silver - so many red and slate-blue crossies around here, mine is different  :)

After much thinking, I'm having a basic XPel PPF done this Thursday (edges of hood and fenders, mirror caps - $325) plus the optional roof strip ($140). As for rustproofing, I opted for a yearly Ziebart application ($130), a non-drip paraffin based product, that I'll repeat one or two times down the road. The "permanent" options ($750) may be more thorough, but you're probably paying more for the warranty. The goo is going on Thursday PM.

Friday AM the WS-90s are getting mounted on the new alloys, which I'll test-fit prior. I bought a hard rubber jack extension with the slit to protect the car and provide extra height. I won't put them on just yet of course - we're still enjoying swimming pool weather  :)

Sounds like a very solid plan indeed.  With this Ziebart rust proofing, do they offer similar program to Rustcheck and Krown, in that if you go once a year for reapplication, the warranty is indefinite?  Or is it just the "permanent" option that is warrantied.  If you only plan on keeping it for under the 8 year mark, just getting it done once every few years should be enough.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2022, 09:13:53 am »

Sounds like a very solid plan indeed.  With this Ziebart rust proofing, do they offer similar program to Rustcheck and Krown, in that if you go once a year for reapplication, the warranty is indefinite?  Or is it just the "permanent" option that is warrantied.  If you only plan on keeping it for under the 8 year mark, just getting it done once every few years should be enough.

Not sure if any warranty with the yearly, but Ziebart has been in this business for quite a long time and I've had the van sprayed by them once and it did not drip (wax-based).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2022, 09:16:22 am »

Not sure if any warranty with the yearly, but Ziebart has been in this business for quite a long time and I've had the van sprayed by them once and it did not drip (wax-based).
I think it's likely similar to the rust proofing that we got done on our Honda's.  It's much thicker and stickier, but we really are paying for the 10 year warranty and the convenience of not having to get it sprayed every year like with Krown and Rustcheck.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2022, 09:25:16 am »

I think it's likely similar to the rust proofing that we got done on our Honda's.  It's much thicker and stickier, but we really are paying for the 10 year warranty and the convenience of not having to get it sprayed every year like with Krown and Rustcheck.

Plus: no drip. Rustproofing is a lot less popular than it was, at least in my neighbourhood - everybody has pavers. That reminds me - I have to degrease a spot under the BBQ...

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2022, 10:02:16 am »

Plus: no drip. Rustproofing is a lot less popular than it was, at least in my neighbourhood - everybody has pavers. That reminds me - I have to degrease a spot under the BBQ...

I'm still parking on a gravel pad - getting my car sprayed didn't bother me one iota.

I'll be swearing this winter when I'm shooting rocks out of my new snowblower, though.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2022, 10:09:11 am »

It didn't drip but look where that got you. A rusty van. :P
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2022, 10:16:45 am »

It didn't drip but look where that got you. A rusty van. :P

Only one application in 10 years, because wife doesn't believe in the stuff  :P

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2022, 10:21:31 am »
 ^^ She doesn't think it stops rust ????? As for the driveway the stains go away overtime.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2022, 10:28:23 am »
^^ She doesn't think it stops rust ????? As for the driveway the stains go away overtime.

Anything that goes on a car is snake oil to her eyes, including PPF. There's a wide gap between the "electronic rust preventer" I yanked out of the Accent and Ziebart, but I pick my battles  ;)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2022, 10:15:46 am »
They did an amazing job with the partial PPF - from the front of the car, you can't see the edge of the film.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2022, 10:25:25 am »
I was very impressed with mine too, was wondering if the newer PPF materials have gotten glossier and more clear or if it's just so nice when it's brand new and unweathered

Looks more like a deep clearcoat than anything

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2022, 10:31:08 am »
I was very impressed with mine too, was wondering if the newer PPF materials have gotten glossier and more clear or if it's just so nice when it's brand new and unweathered

Looks more like a deep clearcoat than anything

This is the first time I've had PPF done, but I've seen some older stuff yellowed on white cars. XPel appears to be better in this respect, and I will have it waxed with the car. Most pressers have partials, and probably 3M as that's what dealers use. Based on the RAV4 Hybrid sitting in my driveway this week, their stuff seems thicker and the edge is more visible.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2022, 10:38:16 am »
Before heading to Costco to have the WS-90's mounted on the replica wheels, I did a test fit. Plenty of air between the wheel and the caliper, although I heard a metallic sound when turning the wheel. New to Subaru, I noticed their wheels have conic nuts, so the wheel's holes are a bit larger than the studs.

Edit: had to use the car's jack. My floor jack, even with the just-bought slitted "hockey puck" extender installed, won't reach high enough  :( This gave me the opportunity to properly install the tools in the foam biscuit - one bag was left loose in the trunk.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 10:49:03 am by Blueprint »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2022, 10:40:35 am »
Before heading to Costco to have the WS-90's mounted on the replica wheels, I did a test fit. Plenty of air between the wheel and the caliper, although I heard a metallic sound when turning the wheel. New to Subaru, I noticed their wheels have conic nuts, so the wheel's holes are a bit larger than the studs.

I'm not sure about german vehicles, given that they use bolts rather than studs and lugnuts, but a conical lugnut is pretty common, and is the only thing I've seen.  If you're not using a hubcentric wheel, then you can 'center' the wheel using the lugnuts.  You just have to take care when installing.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2022, 10:44:03 am »
OK that pic shows lateral clearance which looks ok. How is the clearance on the bottom of the caliper?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2022, 10:56:40 am »

I'm not sure about german vehicles, given that they use bolts rather than studs and lugnuts, but a conical lugnut is pretty common, and is the only thing I've seen.  If you're not using a hubcentric wheel, then you can 'center' the wheel using the lugnuts.  You just have to take care when installing.

Yes this aftermarket wheel is hubcentric - I would not touch a wheel that requires rings. Gald by the way that Subaru has zero TPMS provisions - easy wheel swaps  :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2022, 11:00:33 am »
OK that pic shows lateral clearance which looks ok. How is the clearance on the bottom of the caliper?

Same 18" diameter as the oem wheel so plenty of room in there; calipers are designed for 17-inchers. I've read of people going down to 16" wheels for winter, but that requires shaving the calipers...

Interestingly enough, the overall diameter of a Crosstrek mounted wheel is pretty similar to the Odyssey's, so I'll have to empty and move my IKEA garage wall storage to move one shelf up a few notches to clear the tires.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-375
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2022, 03:31:51 pm »
Suppose I should congrats you to...missed yours as well. So... :cheers:

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2022, 08:54:59 am »
The Crossie finished its break-in period over a 3-day, 800 km loop through Vermont and New Hampshire for some leaf peeping. First long stretch in the new car and it proved to be a comfy little cruiser. The Limited's fancy pivoting LED headlights proved to be an asset driving along twisty, dark unknown valley roads and the nav system did a good job on getting us there. We took our time along the Kancamagus Highway to stop at all the scenic spots / smaller hikes, and here the higher seating position was a bonus for our sore bodies. Despite the passenger car tires of the Limited, tire noise is prevalent, especially on coarser pavements. Otherwise, she's a fine travelling parter and averaged 7.7 l/100 km for the trip. Gas was 3.33 $/gal in the "Live Free or Die" state. And with a Subaru we were basically camoe'd while in Vermont  ;D