Author Topic: Fiat Chrysler recalls  (Read 24186 times)

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Fiat Chrysler recalls
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:30:27 pm »

Fiat Chrysler is recalling more than 1.1 million cars and midsize SUVs worldwide because their gear shifters may confuse drivers and allow them to exit their vehicles without placing them in "park."

The recall covers:

2012-2014 Dodge Chargers,
2012-2014 Chrysler 300 sedans, and
2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs.
The recall covers 811,586 vehicles in the U.S. and an estimated 52,144 vehicles in Canada.

An investigation by FCA and the U.S. government found that the electronic gear shifters in the vehicles were confusing and might lead people to believe that they were parked even if they weren't.

FCA said it is aware of 41 injuries potentially related to the problem.

"The vehicles involved in these events were inspected and no evidence of equipment failure was found," the company said in a release.

Owners will be notified. Dealers will update the transmissions so they won't move once the driver has exited. They will also add enhanced warning signals.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
Re: Fiat Chrysler recalls
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »

Owners will be notified. Dealers will update the transmissions so they won't move once the driver has exited. They will also add enhanced warning signals.

What does this mean I wonder?  A tie to a seat sensor that will place the car into Park when you get out?  Apply the hand break?

Can't recall any issues in the few Chrysler/Jeep rentals I have had about being able to pick out Park   :-X
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:09:24 pm »
In my experience recalls here don't mean much. I have one that has been outstanding for several years now and each time I take the vehicle in, I mention it and they never have parts.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 06:22:41 pm »
How hard it is to put the car in park??? Maybe this is why you do not mess with something that works oh so very well.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 06:35:46 pm »
In my experience recalls here don't mean much. I have one that has been outstanding for several years now and each time I take the vehicle in, I mention it and they never have parts.

That's weird.  I had no problems doing the recall last year on the Odyssey.  I don't even think I had a letter.  Brought it in for something else, and they notified me it wasn't done.  Fuel pump module, and fuel pump strainer. 

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »
do these models have the dial-type gear shift or some other strange shift compared to a conventional?

update:  found the answer, not surprising, as Fobroader mentioned "why you do not mess with something that works so very well"

The vehicles have an electronic shift lever that moves forward or backward to let the driver select the gear instead of moving along a track. A light shows which gear is selected, but to get from "drive" to "park," drivers must push the lever forward three times.

The vehicles sound a chime and issue a dashboard warning if the driver's door is opened while they aren't in "park." But the push-button ignition doesn't shut off the engine, increasing the risk of the vehicles rolling away after drivers have exited.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:04:07 pm by conwelpic »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 06:39:06 pm »

what's the vehicle and whats the part?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »
Caravan....something to do with the starter key

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 11:18:25 am »
How hard it is to put the car in park??? Maybe this is why you do not mess with something that works oh so very well.

Yeah, like even the regular column shifter on the last few Dodge/Rams I've driven. It looks just like all the other column shifters that have been used by everyone since the 1950s, but then you go to move it and it's, like, WTF? ???

Instead of rotating around the steering column (left and right), the stupid thing rotates 90 degrees from it (forward and back).

I'm sure you'd get used to it if you owned one, but why :censor: with something that everybody knows and has been doing intuitively for decades?

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 12:33:49 pm »
The pushing forwards 3x to get from D-->P is a bit silly, but shouldn't there be an automatic function that puts it in Park once the driver door is open and the driver's seat belt is unfastened? That's the way the BMW ones are.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 12:53:11 pm »

Yeah, like even the regular column shifter on the last few Dodge/Rams I've driven. It looks just like all the other column shifters that have been used by everyone since the 1950s, but then you go to move it and it's, like, WTF? ???

Instead of rotating around the steering column (left and right), the stupid thing rotates 90 degrees from it (forward and back).

I'm sure you'd get used to it if you owned one, but why :censor: with something that everybody knows and has been doing intuitively for decades?

I don't get the whole fixing for fixing sakes mentality. People are stupid, on the whole, humanity is not very bright, so why would you set them up to fail with something that requires you to focus for 3 seconds?? I've never left my vehicles in anything but park, why, because you can't remove the keys out of the ignition otherwise, what was wrong with this system?? I see the new 7 series has a bloody I Phone sized key that I couldn't fathom the replacement cost of if one were to lose or break it, why?!?!?!?!?

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 01:27:18 pm »
I have been saying exactly this for ever on here....a standard approach for controls. Flashing your headlights when meaning to clean the windshield can be disastrous too. How hard can this be?
It's not only this...the version of Windows that I had 10 years ago worked just as well as the latest for me. This one seems very slow.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 05:04:51 pm »

apparently Anton Yelchin was killed because his Grand Cherokee failed to engage Park:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2774181/anton-yelchins-car-may-have-design-flaw-lapd-investigating/?sf29108326=1

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 05:29:31 pm »
yep... i was wondering if this was why the thread was brought up.....

it is 100% driver error when it isn't in park... BUT it was a goofy set up for the shifter. you can't just assume everything is the same in every car.

sad... but so preventable (just through being *slightly* more cautious)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12357
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2016, 05:31:41 pm »

I don't get the whole fixing for fixing sakes mentality. People are stupid, on the whole, humanity is not very bright, so why would you set them up to fail with something that requires you to focus for 3 seconds?? I've never left my vehicles in anything but park, why, because you can't remove the keys out of the ignition otherwise, what was wrong with this system?? I see the new 7 series has a bloody I Phone sized key that I couldn't fathom the replacement cost of if one were to lose or break it, why?!?!?!?!?

Preach!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 12:27:34 am »
yep... i was wondering if this was why the thread was brought up.....

it is 100% driver error when it isn't in park... BUT it was a goofy set up for the shifter. you can't just assume everything is the same in every car.

sad... but so preventable (just through being *slightly* more cautious)
But it is a very poor design. BMW puts the transmission into park when the door is opened. The Cherokee applies the park brake when the door is opened if the selector in not in park. I suspect the cheapest fix for the Grand Cherokee, will be a software update to put it into park when a door is opened. I guess we will find out what FCA we do once parts are available.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 01:56:26 pm »
oh are parts not even available? damn media is making everyone call in today... then people who have had issues with it (one guy ran his jeep into his house!) want to know what we'll do re: lawsuits or anything... hell if i know!

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 02:39:41 pm »
oh are parts not even available? damn media is making everyone call in today... then people who have had issues with it (one guy ran his jeep into his house!) want to know what we'll do re: lawsuits or anything... hell if i know!
They hope to have them available by the 4th quarter. But we have no idea what the fix will be.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 02:40:56 pm »

apparently Anton Yelchin was killed because his Grand Cherokee failed to engage Park:

http://globalnews.ca/news/2774181/anton-yelchins-car-may-have-design-flaw-lapd-investigating/?sf29108326=1

Poor guy. Again, like I said, people are inherently stupid and careless, if you give them the slightest opportunity to make a mistake, they will take it and run with it. Look how many idiots had problems with "runaway" Toyotas, or the Audi acceleration fiasco. No, something positive, you have to put the thing into park to get your keys out, period. This whole keyless entry and start buttons BS is way more trouble than its worth.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 08:42:45 am »
It's happened a few times where I've forgotten to put the vehicle in park before turning off the engine.  Luckily my Nissan actually turns off the engine, then the warnings go crazy telling you to put it in Park.  If I ignore the warnings, at least the car won't drive away under its own power, although there is no guarantee it wouldn't roll if on an incline.

If FCA vehicles really don't shut off when you press the start/stop button, and you don't notice and also ignore all the warnings, then yeah, the car will roll away under power.  Wouldn't the solution be for FCA to reprogram their start/stop software to shut off the engine when the button is pressed even when in any gear other than Park?