Author Topic: What's up with the rear bumper reflectors?  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
What's up with the rear bumper reflectors?
« on: February 23, 2017, 07:49:54 pm »
Why do so many newer cars have red reflectors on the far corners of the rear bumper?
I've started noticing it over the last year or so that most new cars have them. It started out I think with just SUV's and vans. I figured they're on there to meet some sort of tail light law on cars with higher tail lights. Is that what it is? Which country has actually regulated this, Japan?
Some manufacturers have integrated them nicely. Others, not so nice. And some, they look like some sort of fish fins or something completely over the top. See examples.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: What's up with the rear bumper reflectors?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 07:58:50 pm »
For those people that don't turn on their lights. This way you hopefully catch the reflection off the reflectors.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:02:58 pm »
.. or when it breaks down on a side of a road and the driver forgets to turn on emergency lights.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 08:04:36 pm »
For those people that don't turn on their lights. This way you hopefully catch the reflection off the reflectors.
But aren't the tail lights also reflectors in an 'off' condition?
Which country has driven this -Japan, the USA?
Railton

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 08:12:40 pm »

This one seems to have a 2 mode light switch, especially after dusk: 1)everything is completely off 2) ON (the driver knows the lights are on via the blue light indicator on the dash)  ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 09:00:23 pm »
Because it looks cool. They don't put the reflector in the tail light assemblies as a result.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 09:05:38 pm »
Because it looks cool. They don't put the reflector in the tail light assemblies as a result.

Well that and newer LED lenses don't require the reflective Fresnel/reflex optics.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:19 pm »
Don't know. Maybe our resident automotive lighting Engineer knows?
Railton

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 09:53:17 pm »
In Japan, the rear reflector in the Foresters can be optioned as actual lights, which to me makes more sense.  A few members of the Forester forum have ordered the parts and done the conversion, even tying in the turn signals to them.

I am guessing this is a Japan/Europe thing; don't some places require a bright red light for use in foggy conditions?  Send it to NA, save a few bucks on the wiring by putting in a reflector rather than having a NA specific bumper.  My guess.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:01:14 pm »
Given the growing number of knobs driving with their lights off, thank gawd for rear reflectors.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 09:16:01 am »
I noticed on the drive this morning that some new MB products (C, CLA) don't have the reflectors at all.
Pick-ups also seem to be exempt.
Railton

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 10:16:23 am »
I am guessing this is a Japan/Europe thing; don't some places require a bright red light for use in foggy conditions?  Send it to NA, save a few bucks on the wiring by putting in a reflector rather than having a NA specific bumper.  My guess.
This has some truth in some cars.

The Ford Kuga/Escape and Mazda CX-5 have their rear foglight in one of the bumper-corner reflectors (left side for LHD countries; right-side for wrong-hand drive countries).
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 10:21:09 am »
Q5 has a mixture of reflector, reversing light, corner light and rear fog light  in the bumper.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:27:35 am »
"108 (1) Every passenger car, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck, bus, motorcycle and trailer shall be equipped with the lamps, retroreflective devices and associated equipment required by Technical Standards Document No. 108, Lamps, Reflective Devices and Associated Equipment (TSD 108), as amended from time to time."

Every vehicle must have some red reflective surface on the rear of the vehicle. Same as why all our cars need some amber reflector in the front side of the car (why we don't get the cool, cleaner Euro headlight designs). This is about seeing street parked/stranded vehicles as much as people not turning their lights on at night.

As some have said here, many modern tail lamps, especially those with LEDs, do not possess these reflective properties. The extra rear reflector really took off when 'clear' tail lights became all the rage. Some use it for styling, but most its due to the tail lights not have retroreflective devices installed.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 10:30:22 am »
This too probably has something to do with it, but damned if I can understand it.

"(10) If reflective material referred to in S5.1.1.4 of TSD 108 is applied to a non-vertical surface, the entrance angle used to demonstrate that the material conforms to the performance standards prescribed by that section shall be the sum of the entrance angle specified in Table 1 or Table 1A of SAE Standard J594f, Reflex Reflectors (January 1977), and the angle, measured on the horizontal centreline of the material, by which the material deviates from the vertical."

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 03:34:39 pm »
Don't know. Maybe our resident automotive lighting Engineer knows?
Railton
I posted the correct answer just above.

LED tails don't use Fresnel or reflective optics in them. So the little reflectors are used in lieu. So that's why you're seeing this more and more. Also, some cars are sold in global markets and their regs are slightly different. Instead of making a different car for every market, they "best fit" them as much as possible.

The big thing now for us is light pipes. You'll start seeing those en masse soon too.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
Don't really have a problem with reflectors in the bumper, but I don't know what designer thought brake lights or turn light in the rear fascia was a good idea.  Very stupid place IMHO to place these lights.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage