Author Topic: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread  (Read 220793 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: The Weightlifting/Powerlifting/Fitness Thread
« Reply #520 on: April 22, 2018, 03:08:55 pm »
So if I'm working out before bed, like almost the last thing I do in a day, should I make a point of drinking some protein powder or some :censor: before sleep?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #521 on: April 22, 2018, 03:24:23 pm »

, but BMW says you are "obese"

BS

I'm for sure never buying a BMW then!
fixed ;)
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #522 on: April 22, 2018, 09:13:49 pm »
So if I'm working out before bed, like almost the last thing I do in a day, should I make a point of drinking some protein powder or some :censor: before sleep?

Regardless of when you workout it's a good idea to have a protein shake before bed to up your caloric intake. It's especially important since you mentioned stalling.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2018, 09:25:06 am »
You only need protein shakes or supplements if you aren’t getting enough protein in your diet.

A lot of people underestimate the amount of calories that they consume and overestimate the amount they burn - hence our overweight society.  Most of those shakes contain a ton of calories that only a few dedicated and disciplined athletes need.  Protein from lean meats and other sources are a much better choice for almost everyone.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2018, 09:36:10 am »
You only need protein shakes or supplements if you aren’t getting enough protein in your diet. For gaining you should eye a gram of protein for your body weight per day.

But it is always a good idea to have some protein after a weightlifting session.

Remember, while all of this stuff DOES matter you also aren’t training for mr Olympia. At the end of the day the most important thing for you now is your programming and not missing sessions/days and eating enough.
My assumption might be wrong, but I thought he was asking more what he should eat/drink for recovery after workout?

Or did I misinterpret?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #525 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:28 am »
Yes, eating real food is the best way to do it.  However, he said he was stalling.  I get where he's coming from.  Eating became a chore when I was bulking up.  Protein shakes are a good way to supplement without losing your enjoyment of eating.

johngenx, I wouldn't recommend protein shakes to just anyone.  He's doing the starting strength program.  You need a ton of calories and protein to progress.  Once he's in a range where he's comfortable with his strength and fat gain seems excessive, then he can cut back on the protein shakes and eat cleaner.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #526 on: April 23, 2018, 10:25:57 am »
I have a protein shake after every WO, I find that it helps prevent my muscles from being extremely sore the next day... might just be in my head, but I find it helps with that for me. I actually just got home from the gym 20mins ago, had a shake right away & now am having some cottage cheese. Then I'll grab a bite to eat ~noon & then off to my 1pm tee time, first round of the season... skiing yesterday, golfing today... loving it!!! Gonna suck when I have to go back to work [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 23, 2018, 10:36:17 am »
From scouring the internet it suggests that the window for protein absorbtion is about 24 hours post workout (as opposed to a few hours which is now derided as broscience).

170g of protein I can do in a day with just "real food” but it would get pretty gross and tiresome. I mean that is a lot of meat.

It's funny at first I thought the number was 1g/kg. Easy I thought. Alas no.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #528 on: April 24, 2018, 06:41:45 pm »
Lifting heavy is the best way to add strength. Doing lots of reps with less weight (more volume less intensity) gives you more mass (hypertrophy) (the old beach muscles)

Respectfully disagree.  Look at the strength and muscle mass of weightlifters and those World's Strongest Man guys.  I have always trained as heavy as possible in the 6-10 rep range.  Doing so, from the age of 19 until age 44, I went from 155 to 220 relatively lean pounds, consuming at least a gram of protein per kilogram a day, in the form of lean meat/fish, yogurt/kefir, as well as protein shakes (in smoothie with berries and oatmeal at breakfast, one post-workout).  Supplements were pretty much limited to a multivitamin and a testosterone booster (the legal ones you can get at GNC, etc).  Rest is incredibly important, as is avoiding over-training.  Diet and rest are perhaps more important than the workout itself.  Ya gotta feed the beast, and let it recover. 

Yes, he was full of 'roids, but Mike Mentzer was a strong advocate of the "Heavy Duty" training philosophy (btw - even on 'roids, you still have to put in a hell of a lot of work in the gym and the kitchen to look like a Mr. Olympia competitor).  Many European classic-era bodybuilders (approximately '60s-'80s), like Germany's Jusup Wilkosz, began as competitive weightlifters, and it shows in the thickness of their bodies.

However - in the end, figure out what works best for your body, especially your metabolism.  When I began my metabolism was freakishly high.  The heavy weight/relatively low-rep approach worked well for me.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 11:05:24 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 24, 2018, 09:05:37 pm »
^you were a pretty big dude back in 2014, so I'd think you know what you were doing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2018, 09:08:55 pm »
^you were a pretty big dude back in 2014, so I'd think you know what you were doing.

Yea, he liked to get pumped apparently...... :run:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #531 on: April 24, 2018, 09:09:33 pm »

Some like to do the pumping...

;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 24, 2018, 09:11:07 pm »

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #533 on: April 24, 2018, 11:03:48 pm »

;D

For the record, I like pumping and getting pumped.   :o

I’ve been pretty hardcore back at it since January.  Muscles are tightening up, waist and tummy have gotten smaller.  I’m guessing the body doesn’t totally forget the 25 years it spent in the gym before my health hit the fan and forced a 3-year hiatus...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 25, 2018, 12:42:14 am »

;D

For the record, I like pumping and getting pumped.   :o

I’ve been pretty hardcore back at it since January.  Muscles are tightening up, waist and tummy have gotten smaller.  I’m guessing the body doesn’t totally forget the 25 years it spent in the gym before my health hit the fan and forced a 3-year hiatus...
Good stuff buddy.... to your 2nd paragraph that is [emoji16] 1st one, too much info... LOL!!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:23 am »
For muscular endurance workouts I much prefer to use bodyweight instead of weights and use sport-simulating movements.  For pure strength building, then it's low rep max weight muscle isolation movements with dumbbells.

Muscular endurance workouts are crucial for alpine climbers.  An example of an ME workout that increases your performance on climbing approaches is stair repeats with a heavy pack on.  Done at an intensity level such that the muscles are the limiting factor and not aerobic capacity, it greatly increases your sports performance.  To keep below aerobic capacity, we add weight to the pack and moderate the pace.

The best performance in the mountains is found with four types of workouts.  Pure cardio - trail running, fast hiking, etc, with lots of hills and varied terrain.  ME workouts.  Weight lifting for strength.  Lastly, workouts that mimic climbing movements as much as possible.

Heavy weights are the key to getting strong.  "If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending" has a lot of truth behind it.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2018, 11:52:52 am »
SO!  Is this a lifting thread?  Or a general fitness thread?

I've never been a fitness guy.  Sure, when I was younger I did a TON of mountain biking, so that I kept fit without really ever trying to.  But since having kids, the mountain biking has fallen by the wayside, and I've gained more than a few lbs.  I'm currently at 241lbs, which is 40-60 lbs overweight for my 6'-1" frame. 

Well, finally I'm going to try to do something about it, with a goal of being below 200lbs by the end of summer.  I've already changed my diet in a number of ways:  I've cut out all alcohol, and I've drastically cut down on the amount of sugar that I intake. 

Yesterday I went out and bought a nice pair of running shoes, and I'm going to try my hand out at running. 

We'll see how it goes.  If anybody has any tips and tricks for a new runner, I'm all ears!!!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2018, 11:57:48 am »
^^^I would suggest walk/run until you can sustain running and start slowly with short distances.  Injuring yourself will suck.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #538 on: April 25, 2018, 12:00:16 pm »
^^^I would suggest walk/run until you can sustain running and start slowly with short distances.  Injuring yourself will suck.

Yeah.  I've been advised to do 2 min run and 1 min walk for a total of 20 minutes, to start. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2018, 12:05:14 pm »

Yeah.  I've been advised to do 2 min run and 1 min walk for a total of 20 minutes, to start.
Google some learn to run programs. I think it was the opposite, run 1min, walk 2min. Actually this is a great article

https://www.runnersworld.com/ask-coach-jenny/the-worlds-simplest-learn-to-run-program