Author Topic: Auto Tech: Summer heat  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Auto Tech: Summer heat
« on: August 03, 2011, 04:03:07 am »

A few simple preventative steps can help you avoid radiator overheating this summer, says Jim Kerr.

Read More...

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Tech: Summer heat
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:26:08 pm »
Great article, always good to keep an eye on how your vehicle is managing the heat and most of this can be done by the owner. I see a lot of promotions and 'specials' indicating random automotive health tests, like the 'ready for summer package - only $79!', which is all too often a quick visual inspection and top-up of fluids with no real work being done.

I know running the A/C system with recirculated air eases the load on the system, I wonder if this would contribute to cooler running. If I'm in stop and go traffic, I typically turn my A/C down or off if possible.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:08:11 pm »
I had to use the "run the heater" trick with my beater Blazer.  A thermostat, fresh coolant, and finally a new radiator finally cured the problem.

Offline my2cents

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Rav4 AWD
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:16:28 pm »
I have had a couple of thermostats get stuck closed. Two bolts and throw it away. That can get you going.

Cars with fan belts - tighten them

If you turn off the ignition and coast - make sure you don't lock the steering or you'll get a surprise.

Warped aluminum heads are a disaster - but aluminum blocks? Yikes. Especially the Chinese ones with too much lead.