Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ sedan  (Read 15996 times)

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LTZ sedan
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 01:47:56 pm »
It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison between this Sonic LTZ sedan and the new Rio EX-Luxury sedan as both have the same MSRP - $20,495.  However, vastly different in equipment.  The Rio EX-L comes standard with cooling glove box, heated steering wheel, 6 speed auto, fully auto climate control.  Navigation is available as an option.

"only a sunroof, a feature rarely found in this class" - that's standard on the Rio EX model at $16,695
heated seats are standard on the Rio LX+, as well as fog lights, a/c, cruise, 6 spd manual and Bluetooth at $15,295

GM is good at putting a lot of features in their higher priced model that are standard on lower models of the competition -there is some tough competition out there!

Maybe Jonathan Y. and I can hook this up.  Comparison tests on Autos.ca?

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 02:12:11 pm »
Apparently the term 'luxury' is getting treated almost as liberally 'sport' in autodom these days...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 02:17:53 pm »
i always found direct comparisons to be very useful...it is always great to read about a new vehicle, but i have a feeling, most of the differences don't come through unless you do a true comparo (like Car & Driver is known for)...i know this is difficult to do for logistics purposes, but if Autos.ca had set dates and invited all manufacturers to submit cars for them, it might work out...there are often things that come out in these types of tests when you can drive the vehicles right next to each other and some things may come up that a standard review doesn't show...plus, having fixed dates might put more pressure on companies to back up their "we're the best" claims by proving it in a real world comparison test...either way, i'm sure Autos has looked at it, but we (Canada) likely don't have the "ability to demand" like many of the larger US companies can.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline kavatski

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:11 pm »
GM is good at putting a lot of features in their higher priced model that are standard on lower models of the competition -there is some tough competition out there!

Just picked up a Rio5 EX with the manual transmission a few days ago that stickered for $17,495, or exactly the same as a new Sonic LT manual hatch with the non-turbo 1.8. However, to similarly equip the Sonic (sunroof, heated seats, upgraded stereo, etc.) you need to add $2,600 in options. Ouch.

Ford is already putting $2,000 cash on the hood of the 2012 Fiesta, but even with that factored in, the SES hatch I'd have gone with is $18,199.

Kia had a holiday promotion on that gave me another $500 off, so the sticker on the Rio5 ended up being $16,995 for a vehicle with the aforementioned sunroof and heated seats plus 16" alloys, touchscreen voice-activated entertainment system with rearview camera, four-wheel discs, cruise, heated (and even power-folding) mirrors, and satellite radio.

Whatever anyone's feeling is about Kia (and I can admit I haven't traditionally been a fan), that's a lot of car for $17k. Toyota and Mazda can't compete, and at list price neither can the Sonic. Rebates coming soon, I suspect.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »
while Kia still doesn't have the driving dynamics of some other more well established brands (Hyundai as well), they still make a very solid value proposition by giving you a nice looking, well built car, with lots of content at a very competitive price...i think the Rio5 is one of the nicest looking hatches out there.

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 06:33:09 pm »
Just picked up a Rio5 EX with the manual transmission a few days ago that stickered for $17,495 ...

Just checked on kia.ca and the 2012 Rio5 EX with manual and no options (not even the any-color-other-than-white $200 charge) lists for $18450.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 06:54:19 pm »
Just picked up a Rio5 EX with the manual transmission a few days ago that stickered for $17,495 ...

Just checked on kia.ca and the 2012 Rio5 EX with manual and no options (not even the any-color-other-than-white $200 charge) lists for $18450.
$18450 includes Freight/PDI...the car itself is $16,995 (look at top row, upper right).

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »
GM will come up with incentives soon enough.  They also need to make the 1.4T optional on lower models.

I was reading a review the other day and they mentioned that the Sonic's suspension/handling was developed by the Corvette team.  It makes it a better driver than the Rio but not the pricier Fit. 
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline chrischasescars

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-31
  • The Voice of Reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 09:04:12 pm »
It would be interesting to see a back to back comparison between this Sonic LTZ sedan and the new Rio EX-Luxury sedan as both have the same MSRP - $20,495.  However, vastly different in equipment.  The Rio EX-L comes standard with cooling glove box, heated steering wheel, 6 speed auto, fully auto climate control.  Navigation is available as an option.

"only a sunroof, a feature rarely found in this class" - that's standard on the Rio EX model at $16,695
heated seats are standard on the Rio LX+, as well as fog lights, a/c, cruise, 6 spd manual and Bluetooth at $15,295

Wing and I did an awesome comparo between the STI and Evo a few years ago: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-mitsubishi-evo-mr-vs-subaru-wrx-sti
I used to work here.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 09:14:52 pm »
Wing and I did an awesome comparo between the STI and Evo a few years ago: http://www.autos.ca/car-comparisons/comparison-test-mitsubishi-evo-mr-vs-subaru-wrx-sti

Well you two should do more! That is a great article!

avro206

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 11:59:03 pm »
GM will come up with incentives soon enough.  They also need to make the 1.4T optional on lower models.

I was reading a review the other day and they mentioned that the Sonic's suspension/handling was developed by the Corvette team.  It makes it a better driver than the Rio but not the pricier Fit. 

In the US you can get the 1.4L Turbo on LT models. Hopefully in Canada too, in the near future. I agree with you on the handling...it is far better then the Hyundais/Kias.

An LTZ model should have a sunroof as standard equipment..at the same price. Oh and an automatic will be offered with the Turbo soon.

Nearly all the reviews are very positive about the Sonic, that has to say something to fair minded people. Give GM a chance, Rome was not built in a day.

avro206

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 12:02:10 am »

Another point to add, which makes me sound like a grumpy old man is to do with the huge wheels this car comes with (and some other sub-compacts). An R17 with 50% profile is the same size as you'd find on a Mazda 5 as the GT option - and these are on a sub-compact? Designers need to make cars that look good with smaller wheels - my 98 Civic had 14" alloys, my Accord had 15" steels (60 profile for both). A higher profile improves ride quality and reduces the risk of cracking an alloy.

it does make you look like a grumpy old man! :o :rofl: Time marches on, trends change. A 50 series tire is very common these days and not really "low profile" anymore. Don't get me wrong...I hate huge oversized wheels, I just don't see them on the Sonic. It's rather chunky. The 15- and 16's look small.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 06:41:47 am »
Time marches on, trends change.

Time does march on but some trends never change, like invoking the Vega - a car made 40 years ago - as a reason why this vehicle should not be considered. Just once I would like to see a discussion about a small Chevy where someone does not bring up such irrelevant BS.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »
Time does march on but some trends never change, like invoking the Vega - a car made 40 years ago - as a reason why this vehicle should not be considered. Just once I would like to see a discussion about a small Chevy where someone does not bring up such irrelevant BS.
agreed...however, some of the same people saying what you just said, are often the same ones who mention the Pony in Hyundai threads...you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2012, 02:25:47 pm »
agreed...however, some of the same people saying what you just said, are often the same ones who mention the Pony in Hyundai threads...you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I do not think I seen one mention of a Pony this year  ::)  :rofl:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2012, 06:40:56 pm »
I do not think I seen one mention of a Pony this year  ::)  :rofl:
true, however, it's only been 11 days...wait for the next Hyundai/Kia thread...i'm sure it will rear its ugly head in there...it usually does.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2012, 06:43:05 pm »
.i'm sure it will rear its ugly head in there...it usually does.

As it should....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:53:58 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2012, 09:05:30 pm »
Timely discussion - I was just about to take people back to SATs and posit that Sonic is to Vega what Sonata is to Pony.

Not a good comparison though.  Vega was Motor Trend Car of the Year.  Pony?  Not so much.... :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »
Option (B): Sonic is to Corvair what Sonata is to Pony.

Does weirdo Nader hate the Pony too?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »
Like most, he would have if he had driven one.

Heheheheh....probably right.  Would it have launched his political career though?   :rofl2: