Author Topic: Anyone in Mississauga have time to look at a Mazda 6 for me?  (Read 3434 times)

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Anyone in Mississauga have time to look at a Mazda 6 for me?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 06:59:42 am »
^ Agreed.  Nevermind that he has to get it from southern Ontario to Alberta assuming the vehicle is for himself (or are you in BC?).  I see the temptation, but I'd be looking for something local if you're going for a unit with that high mileage.  Minimize the "on the road" costs because its a gamble regardless of inspection.

Good point. if it's not in the same town as the buyer what does transport cost do to the value proposition?
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 08:10:28 am »
^ Agreed.  Nevermind that he has to get it from southern Ontario to Alberta assuming the vehicle is for himself (or are you in BC?).  I see the temptation, but I'd be looking for something local if you're going for a unit with that high mileage.  Minimize the "on the road" costs because its a gamble regardless of inspection.

Good point. if it's not in the same town as the buyer what does transport cost do to the value proposition?
He's not averse to road trips.

Remember his motorcycle trip?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2024, 08:16:00 am »

He's not averse to road trips.

Remember his motorcycle trip?

^ Sure, but you need to factor that in to your decision.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 08:25:49 am »
The vehicle is shot.  People are beyond desperate for cheap vehicles in the GTA.  Eventually someone will get hooked by the the price and the financing and then will have nothing but a boat anchor to show for it.

Your general attitude and pessimism are getting really over the top; either you're just trolling or I legitimately think you're starting to lose it. Straight up Clint Eastwood at the beginning of "Gran Torino" vibes. It's not even a "call it like I see it" anymore - just plain old man screaming at cloud nonsense.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2024, 09:45:38 am »
 What's a used replacement engine cost on Carpart ? That particular engine was used in many mazdas,should be plentiful.  It 's priced no worse than anything else in these inflationary times. Anything in my area that has  a valid safety inspection could sell for $2500 or more. Even if it doesn't have rocker panels. ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 09:48:43 am by Seafoam »
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2024, 10:09:15 am »
Car in Ontario, man in BC (AB?)

$500 flight
$500 fuel
$300 couple nights in a motel
$200 incidentals
AB safety inspection $200

$1700

All this has to come off the offer. I would offer $2500 for that car as is and I doubt that lot is going to take $800 which has to be crush value.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2024, 10:15:56 am »
I'm curious if the 2.5 with cylinder deactivation is proven to have problems?  Mine is the second?!? model year that was equipped with it.

I’ve seen way too many engines (Honda, Ram, Chevy) with cylinder deactivation develop problems past 200k that I’m calling this one a problem too. Maybe they did it right just like they are one of the only ones to do GDI right? We’ll see in 5-10 years…

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2024, 10:26:41 am »
What's a used replacement engine cost on Carpart ? That particular engine was used in many mazdas,should be plentiful.  It 's priced no worse than anything else in these inflationary times. Anything in my area that has  a valid safety inspection could sell for $2500 or more. Even if it doesn't have rocker panels. ;D

My boss had a used engine installed in his Mitsubishi Lancer for $2000, not a terrible cost. I assume 90% of the kms are highway.

$500 flight
$500 fuel
$200 incidentals

$1700

All this has to come off the offer. I would offer $2500 for that car as is and I doubt that lot is going to take $800 which has to be crush value.
Alberta

Fuel is a tad high, and I would absolutely fly ULCC. Does make transporting it worth a look. My shop did $1700 in work to certify my Mazda 5. Steering and suspension bits mostly.

They’ve been bringing their asking price down by $800 every couple of weeks. I’ll wait at least a couple more price drops before making an offer.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2024, 10:32:11 am »
There’s great value in high mileage vehicles for the right person. I find some put way too many eggs in the mileage basket, especially those shopping for inexpensive rides. Maintenance and use is most important, and I’d much rather have a maintained vehicle with 300,000 highway Km than something with 150k that’s had a life spent in the city stop and go.

A fleet I used to buy and sell to had two identical trucks both put in service the same day, and had the same maintenance protocol. One had 800,000 km and had a dedicated daily route from Calgary to Edmonton. The other had 340,000 km and never left the city. The repair history for the city unit looked like a telephone directory compared to the highway unit. Its overall condition was also far worse.

Very interesting. As mentioned, the operator makes a big difference too. A rough one can age a vehicle out in a hurry

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2024, 10:38:33 am »

My boss had a used engine installed in his Mitsubishi Lancer for $2000, not a terrible cost. I assume 90% of the kms are highway.

$500 flight
$500 fuel
$200 incidentals

$1700

Alberta

Fuel is a tad high, and I would absolutely fly ULCC. Does make transporting it worth a look. My shop did $1700 in work to certify my Mazda 5. Steering and suspension bits mostly.

They’ve been bringing their asking price down by $800 every couple of weeks. I’ll wait at least a couple more price drops before making an offer.

To me there is value in a road trip. I've picked up a handful of cars from ON and QC, the cost of doing that never bothered me. Always used it as an opportunity to visit friends or family.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2024, 10:53:07 am »
You want to drive across Northern Ontario and the prairies in January in a miled-out car with unknown history?  Have fun and you better add the cost of a set of wheels/ snow tires to the shopping list.  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2024, 01:33:28 pm »
You want to drive across Northern Ontario and the prairies in January in a miled-out car with unknown history?  Have fun and you better add the cost of a set of wheels/ snow tires to the shopping list.  ;D

I mean, that's certainly not ideal, no.

I've been in enough sh!tbox Grand Caravan taxi cabs with over 500k on them that still drove. I can't imagine a 400k Mazda 6 in good condition is the worst option at the right price. I'd give 'em $5k for it in the right condition.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2024, 02:01:35 pm »
I've been in enough sh!tbox Grand Caravan taxi cabs with over 500k on them that still drove

:D  We've a friend who was given a Grand Caravan for free by somebody. Like 'Take it, it's worth nothing'.

He drove that thing for years, loved it, had hardly any trouble until it finally quit for good

Yet anyone I know who bought one new has horrible stories of them breaking down hard, no limping along, stop and get towed type of breakdown

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2024, 02:37:12 pm »
My Grand Caravan is close to 670,000 now. Still runs and drives fine, drove it all last winter. This year it’s being used to store chicken food lol.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2024, 02:50:28 pm »
My Grand Caravan is close to 670,000 now. Still runs and drives fine, drove it all last winter. This year it’s being used to store chicken food lol.

That's nuts.  Original engine and tranny?  Guessing you may not know. 

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2024, 03:00:35 pm »
Kind of funny that this was posted today...

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=121663.0;topicseen

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2024, 04:15:23 pm »

Your general attitude and pessimism are getting really over the top;

I dunno...when I see a car with 400k+ on it of unknown origin at one of those "Everyone approved!!" car lots, I think the exact same thing.

Now a 400k car coming from you (or similar enthusiast) with complete service history? Different story....

« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 04:17:43 pm by rrocket »

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2024, 05:52:38 pm »

That's nuts.  Original engine and tranny?  Guessing you may not know.

Original engine second transmission. I bought it 9 ish years ago for dirt cheap because it already had huge km. It belonged to FCA/Daimler as a part’s ferry between Edmonton and Calgary. My total repairs have been; a power steering hose, brake pads twice, two rear hubs, water pump, tie rod ends, and front end repairs after my 16 yr old boy crashed into a taxi (another grand caravan oddly enough) after a heavy snowstorm.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2024, 07:43:53 pm »
You guys know I love my cash purchase cars. I find the market in Alberta is still grossly inflated while Ontario is only slightly inflated.

I bet I could run this Mazda to 600k+. Service history will be key though.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2024, 07:56:46 pm »
But how inflated ?  You are looking at an extra $2000 just to fly out and drive back. Then you risk putting $$ in after a failed provincial inspection.