Author Topic: New family vehicle - spend my money!  (Read 9574 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: New family vehicle - spend my money!
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2023, 02:11:12 pm »
I would strike the 4Runner off the list.  If the 3rd row is truly a consideration, well, the 4Runner has a 3rd row in name only.  Seriously only good for small kids.  And there's zero cargo space when it's in use. 

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2023, 02:13:51 pm »
MDX. Or if you want/need more space, the lowest trim Pilot that has the removable middle row center seat (like the MDX). Gives you captains chairs when it's just your 2 kids plus option for more.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2023, 02:21:43 pm »
I would strike the 4Runner off the list.  If the 3rd row is truly a consideration, well, the 4Runner has a 3rd row in name only.  Seriously only good for small kids.  And there's zero cargo space when it's in use.

Correct. This is a 5 person SUV with good cargo space.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2023, 02:21:58 pm »

Yeah, that's probably correct.  I think the only Toyota worth considering at this point is the Grand Highlander.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2023, 02:25:03 pm »
MDX. Or if you want/need more space, the lowest trim Pilot that has the removable middle row center seat (like the MDX). Gives you captains chairs when it's just your 2 kids plus option for more.

You need a Touring or Black Edition for that ($$$).  I think for me part of the appeal of the Pilot is the value proposition of the Sport...

I had no idea the MDX had a removable middle seat.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2023, 02:26:36 pm »
I've been through a very similar exercise lately, and keep ending back at the MDX.  Great V6, awesome AWD, semi luxurious, low maintenance costs, and a good driver as far as CUVs go.  My preferences are slightly different than yours, as in I view a Pilot too large for our needs.

Don't see the Pallisade on your list, but the Telluride is.  Just a styling preference there?

Pallisade - Yeah, don't see a compelling reason to choose it over the Kia.  I really like the looks of the Kia, but not sold on it holding up.  This is a 8-10 year, 160,000km plus vehicle.  Maybe longer, if PHEV/electric prices are nuts.

MDX - It's great, but seems just slightly less usable than a Pilot as our do-it-all vehicle.  Could see my wife driving one as her daily at some point.  My dad's on his 3rd? 4th? one over the years.  The price gap is so narrow vs. the Pilot that it's 100% the better buy, especially with Acura financing at 4.99% right now.  Need to keep thinking about this.

If you've got three kids get the Pilot.  If you've got two, I'd go MDX.

Got two...plus hockey equipment..plus often 1-2 extras and their grear.  Perhaps Suburban is the answer, but $100k is a lot to spend to make other people's kids more comfortable  :rofl2:

THE vehicle is a Sienna, but between dealer markups, absurd delivery times, and my wife's general opposition to a minivan, it's pretty low on the list.  If it were readily available, maybe it would win out, but I can't listen to 18 months of whining about not wanting a van while we wait for it.

:shuffle: :hello:

Fuel savings alone have greatly improved the WAF (wife acceptance factor) YMMV
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2023, 02:32:37 pm »
I've been through a very similar exercise lately, and keep ending back at the MDX.  Great V6, awesome AWD, semi luxurious, low maintenance costs, and a good driver as far as CUVs go.  My preferences are slightly different than yours, as in I view a Pilot too large for our needs.

Don't see the Pallisade on your list, but the Telluride is.  Just a styling preference there?

Pallisade - Yeah, don't see a compelling reason to choose it over the Kia.  I really like the looks of the Kia, but not sold on it holding up.  This is a 8-10 year, 160,000km plus vehicle.  Maybe longer, if PHEV/electric prices are nuts.

MDX - It's great, but seems just slightly less usable than a Pilot as our do-it-all vehicle.  Could see my wife driving one as her daily at some point.  My dad's on his 3rd? 4th? one over the years.  The price gap is so narrow vs. the Pilot that it's 100% the better buy, especially with Acura financing at 4.99% right now.  Need to keep thinking about this.

If you've got three kids get the Pilot.  If you've got two, I'd go MDX.

Got two...plus hockey equipment..plus often 1-2 extras and their grear.  Perhaps Suburban is the answer, but $100k is a lot to spend to make other people's kids more comfortable  :rofl2:

THE vehicle is a Sienna, but between dealer markups, absurd delivery times, and my wife's general opposition to a minivan, it's pretty low on the list.  If it were readily available, maybe it would win out, but I can't listen to 18 months of whining about not wanting a van while we wait for it.

:shuffle: :hello:

Fuel savings alone have greatly improved the WAF (wife acceptance factor) YMMV

How long did you wait for yours?

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2023, 03:56:22 pm »
15 months with no added markups. However, from what I read on Sienna forums, wait time is highly dependent on your location and how picky you are with trim, colour etc. In my case, we were very picky on trim and colour but demand is far less in MB than in the GTA or lower mainland BC. Some people in those areas are not picky at all and still waiting years or paying added dealer markups.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2023, 04:15:31 pm »
Devils advocate but the tax bill ($7k?) alone on buying a new vehicle is almost triple of what it would take to bring your current Pilot up to tip top shape. Just admit you have the new car itch... ;D

Tires: $1000
Brakes $400
Suspension bits (the front suspension on these is rudimentary) another $1000

hatch rust? IDK. Anywhere from $5 and some elbow grease and up.

You can get another 8 years out of that Pilot...

I'm not handy, so brakes are $1k at the shop, and I've price out tires and I'm gonna be more like $1,500 installed, with tax.  Anyway, not huge dollars, but I'd rather not spend it unless I'm committing to actually consuming the new tires and brakes.

I'm back in the consulting world, I visit clients, my current Pilot is looking the worse for wear.  Given our household income, this purchase is not a stretch by any means, but no question this is a want rather than need.  I'm gonna rack up mileage a bit quicker going forward, and I'm not keen to shlep kids all over the province for hockey all winter in a vehicle with 200,000km and worn bits...

I am just the sober second thought on your other shoulder that is all. This is truly a want vs a need and that is OK. That being said people underestimate the longevity of vehicles. A Pilot that is kept up should easily make 300k kms. If it doesn't have VCM then it will likely give you less mechanical issues than many of the brand new whiz bang technologies. If it is schlepping people and things used is so nice as you really don't get fussed about the inevitable wear and tear. ps. I like to see my consultants in old machinery, it shows they are practical. When I visit my staff/operations and the boss in a 13 year old Honda it sets the tone..  ;D

If you can lay the cash out on the barrelhead and it doesn't bother you then you can afford it. My recommendation ? I would say AWD Sienna. Any of the other CUVs are just vans in drag anyhow, might as well get the real thing and all the practically that comes with it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2023, 04:29:45 pm »
and a lot of money it is:

A Toyota Sienna Limited AWD. $71947.10 out the door in Ontario. The 72 month finance term at 7.89% has you paying $90 547.92 for a Sienna minivan..  :o    I would drive the old Pilot lol.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2023, 05:11:08 pm »
Good thing I’m not trying to pay for a $1M McMansion at the same time. House purchased in the doldrums of the NB real estate market FTW.  :P

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2023, 05:30:08 pm »
As a “lease and throw the keys back” proposition, the insanely high residuals on the Kia is very appealing. Actually can’t believe the residuals compared to Honda/Toyota.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2023, 05:53:53 pm »
As a “lease and throw the keys back” proposition, the insanely high residuals on the Kia is very appealing. Actually can’t believe the residuals compared to Honda/Toyota.

The old Volvo trick of subvented leases. The manufacturer or whoever holds these leases will take it down the line. I ballooned leased a Volvo which had a ridiculously high residual. I traded it in and then immediately bought it back as a CPO for $7k under what the original residual was. Ford credit ate that one?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2023, 06:08:00 pm »
Like those crazy F150 deals a couple years ago when Ford gambled on reselling the off lease pickups to the US market

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2023, 11:11:18 pm »
I don't think it was a gamble.  Pretty well all off lease F150 Screws go Stateside from Ontario.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2023, 11:29:06 pm »
OK, I have found your vehicle.

2023 Wagoneer.  Pretty sure these have full time AWD.  36mth/24K km yearly @ 6%

$1200. a month.  You'll deduct some of that.  So large, so nice.  Client's will look at you differently.

Expect show and shine by the end of the month.  :)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2023, 08:00:34 am »
You can always put a deposit down on a Grand Highlander and Sienna, and whichever shows up first take it. 

Am I wrong to say you are in Moncton NB, if so the dealer there owns a few Toyota dealers locally (Fredericton and Woodstock that I know of), so they might be able to snag an allocation from one of those other dealers and get one for you quicker.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2023, 08:16:12 am »
OK, I have found your vehicle.

2023 Wagoneer.  Pretty sure these have full time AWD.  36mth/24K km yearly @ 6%

$1200. a month.  You'll deduct some of that.  So large, so nice.  Client's will look at you differently.

Expect show and shine by the end of the month.  :)

Bwahaha.  No tax advantage for me to lease vs buy....I just get reimbursed for mileage. 

$1200 a month is more like $1,350, plus HST.  So a little out of what I want to spend, especially for a vehicle that scares me.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2023, 08:19:25 am »
You can always put a deposit down on a Grand Highlander and Sienna, and whichever shows up first take it. 

Am I wrong to say you are in Moncton NB, if so the dealer there owns a few Toyota dealers locally (Fredericton and Woodstock that I know of), so they might be able to snag an allocation from one of those other dealers and get one for you quicker.

That's a good point. Yes, I'm in Moncton.  Main issue with the Grand Highlander is that the interior feels cheap compared to the Honda/Acura.  The Pilot is not exactly a paragon of luxury, but at least everything feels sturdy.  Similar to the Corolla/Civic debate....my brother owns a new Corolla, but man is the Civic ever a nicer place to be.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-455
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2023, 08:57:14 am »

That's a good point. Yes, I'm in Moncton.  Main issue with the Grand Highlander is that the interior feels cheap compared to the Honda/Acura.  The Pilot is not exactly a paragon of luxury, but at least everything feels sturdy.  Similar to the Corolla/Civic debate....my brother owns a new Corolla, but man is the Civic ever a nicer place to be.
Honda seems to have been ahead in that for a very long time.  Toyota has come a long way but I agree their interiors do have a bit more "cost cutting" feel to them.  But I would classify it more as utilitarian feeling and not low rent.  I would expect both to be equally as sturdy and should both wear pretty well.