Author Topic: New family vehicle - spend my money!  (Read 9497 times)

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
New family vehicle - spend my money!
« on: November 16, 2023, 11:51:55 am »
The time has come to vehicle shop.  We initially talked about replacing the Subaru, but my wife barely drives it (maybe 6k a year at this point) and my vehicle is 100% the day-to-day family hauler, so it's getting a refresh first. Pilot is at 8 years, 160,000km and my rough "to do" list is now around $4k....money I would need to spend to keep driving it beyond the spring. Brake pads and rotors on all 4-corners are on the horizon, my all-season tires are shot, as is the front suspension.  The rear hatch is rusting.  In its current state, I figure I can sell it in the $18k-$20k range without too much trouble.  Besides that, I'm adding mileage for work now that I get reimbursed for, which will take the sting out of a car payment.

Default is another Pilot, maybe even the base Sport model. My wife would like middle row captains seats and a sunroof, but you gotta go TrailSport or higher for that, not worth it in my book.  Kids butts can freeze on the unheated middle bench on the Sport  :P

Alternative thought was a full-size truck given lower financing rates and some cash on the hood...but it won't fit in my garage, and I'm spoiled that way.  I also really like AWD and we do use the 3rd row on occasion.  So....full-size truck or BoF SUV are likely out.

So requirements are:
 - AWD
 - 7 passenger minimum
 - Minivans are fine
 - New-ish design (not interested in the current Acadia/Traverse, Explorer, etc)

Other ideas:
 - Acura MDX (new, or I could buy my father's 2022 Platinum Elite)
 - Toyota Grand Highlander
 - Toyota Sienna
 - Kia Telluride
 - VW Atlas
 - Audi Q7 (it's getting old, expensive)
 - Nissan Pathfinder
 - Infiniti QX60
 - Subaru Ascent (getting old, but pricing is attractive)
 - Mazda CX-90 (Blueprint's current experience with his is leading me away from that one, at this point)
 - Jeep Grand Cherokee L
 - Toyota 4Runner Limited (these have AWD and 7 seats, right?)

I don't particularly care about fuel economy, it's a tie-breaker but not a deal maker.  Prefer 6+ cylinders and no PHEV.  Toyota Hybrid is fine, it's well proven. I'd like to get something by spring, and avoid any 12-18 month wait lists....which may take Toyota out of the running.

My gut tells me just to order a 2024 Pilot Sport in Radiant Red Metallic II and turn my brain off.  But it's a big purchase, so I should think through and consider other options.

Go!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: New family vehicle - spend my money!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 12:10:10 pm »
I assume you want new, what price or payment are you comfortable with?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 12:14:06 pm »
Toyota Sequoia, or the GM twins (Tahoe/Yukon).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 12:25:13 pm »
The next generation Lexus GX looks pretty amazing, but it'll be $100K+ out the door, so not sure you'd be interested.

I'd probably cross the Sienna off the list as the wait times are a bit crazy.  I don't feel like you'd enjoy the VW Atlas as it's 4 cylinder only, ditto the Subaru Ascent.  The 4Runner is quite old and underpowered, rides poorly, but it does still look good and has amazing resale value.  I don't see it being the best match either.

Of the one's you have listed, my top 3 of that list would likely be Grand Highlander (top trim level), Mazda CX-90, and I'm going to go with a surprise with the Nissan Pathfinder (I feel like this generation is much improved and unloved).

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:42:07 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 12:37:17 pm »
I've been through a very similar exercise lately, and keep ending back at the MDX.  Great V6, awesome AWD, semi luxurious, low maintenance costs, and a good driver as far as CUVs go.  My preferences are slightly different than yours, as in I view a Pilot too large for our needs.

Don't see the Pallisade on your list, but the Telluride is.  Just a styling preference there?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 12:46:20 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 12:39:57 pm »
You've already noted that a 12-18mth wait is unacceptable so that likely takes the Sienna and Grand Highlander out of the mix unless you get really lucky. You're dad's MDX or a new Pilot seem like the most logical choices that would meet your list of requirements.

Pacifica is also available AWD if you'd be willing to gamble on Stellantis (lack of?) reliability.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 12:56:23 pm »
Devils advocate but the tax bill ($7k?) alone on buying a new vehicle is almost triple of what it would take to bring your current Pilot up to tip top shape. Just admit you have the new car itch... ;D

Tires: $1000
Brakes $400
Suspension bits (the front suspension on these is rudimentary) another $1000

hatch rust? IDK. Anywhere from $5 and some elbow grease and up.

You can get another 8 years out of that Pilot...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2023, 01:00:06 pm »
IMO, based on availability, performance and reliability: Ascent > Pilot > MDX, in order of 'how much do you want to spend?'

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2023, 01:11:29 pm »

Looking to spend under $50k out-the-door net of trade/sale of the current Pilot.  Would go higher if something really spoke to us.  If the X5 was a smidge larger and had a 3rd row, even for occasional use, that would be a contender with the B58  :P

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 01:15:23 pm »
I've been through a very similar exercise lately, and keep ending back at the MDX.  Great V6, awesome AWD, semi luxurious, low maintenance costs, and a good driver as far as CUVs go.  My preferences are slightly different than yours, as in I view a Pilot too large for our needs.

Don't see the Pallisade on your list, but the Telluride is.  Just a styling preference there?

Pallisade - Yeah, don't see a compelling reason to choose it over the Kia.  I really like the looks of the Kia, but not sold on it holding up.  This is a 8-10 year, 160,000km plus vehicle.  Maybe longer, if PHEV/electric prices are nuts.

MDX - It's great, but seems just slightly less usable than a Pilot as our do-it-all vehicle.  Could see my wife driving one as her daily at some point.  My dad's on his 3rd? 4th? one over the years.  The price gap is so narrow vs. the Pilot that it's 100% the better buy, especially with Acura financing at 4.99% right now.  Need to keep thinking about this.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 01:17:41 pm »

Pallisade - Yeah, don't see a compelling reason to choose it over the Kia.  I really like the looks of the Kia, but not sold on it holding up.  This is a 8-10 year, 160,000km plus vehicle.  Maybe longer, if PHEV/electric prices are nuts.

MDX - It's great, but seems just slightly less usable than a Pilot as our do-it-all vehicle.  Could see my wife driving one as her daily at some point.  My dad's on his 3rd? 4th? one over the years.  The price gap is so narrow vs. the Pilot that it's 100% the better buy, especially with Acura financing at 4.99% right now.  Need to keep thinking about this.

Analyze it for the next 8 years lol.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-516
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 01:19:25 pm »
There are some nice CPO Audi Q7's out there that would meet your parameters. A little more luxurious than the others.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2023, 01:19:28 pm »
Devils advocate but the tax bill ($7k?) alone on buying a new vehicle is almost triple of what it would take to bring your current Pilot up to tip top shape. Just admit you have the new car itch... ;D

Tires: $1000
Brakes $400
Suspension bits (the front suspension on these is rudimentary) another $1000

hatch rust? IDK. Anywhere from $5 and some elbow grease and up.

You can get another 8 years out of that Pilot...

I'm not handy, so brakes are $1k at the shop, and I've price out tires and I'm gonna be more like $1,500 installed, with tax.  Anyway, not huge dollars, but I'd rather not spend it unless I'm committing to actually consuming the new tires and brakes.

I'm back in the consulting world, I visit clients, my current Pilot is looking the worse for wear.  Given our household income, this purchase is not a stretch by any means, but no question this is a want rather than need.  I'm gonna rack up mileage a bit quicker going forward, and I'm not keen to shlep kids all over the province for hockey all winter in a vehicle with 200,000km and worn bits... 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2023, 01:33:54 pm »

Looking to spend under $50k out-the-door net of trade/sale of the current Pilot.  Would go higher if something really spoke to us.  If the X5 was a smidge larger and had a 3rd row, even for occasional use, that would be a contender with the B58  :P

Doesn't it have an optional third row?

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2023, 01:41:23 pm »

Doesn't it have an optional third row?

Seems to have been lost sometime in the past few years.  I swear my dad had one in his E70, but it never got used....

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2023, 01:43:17 pm »
Toyota Sequoia, or the GM twins (Tahoe/Yukon).

Upon deep self-reflection, I've concluded a body-on-frame truck/SUV, while awesome, is not something I need.  I'm way better off with Grand Highlander over a Sequoia for my use case....fuel economy, utility of 3rd row, price, etc.

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2023, 01:53:22 pm »

Analyze it for the next 8 years lol.

Oh, no question in total dollars of depreciation and maintenance, cheaper to keep the current Pilot.  I would argue the way Pilots hold their value, the gap isn't as crazy as you might think, assuming a 16 year old miled-out Pilot is worthless.  I'd be "spending" effectively $20k in depreciation on the current vehicle, the new one I'll suffer maybe $30k in depreciation.  Then factor in maintenance over the next 8 years...

I appreciate your frugal nature, I am much the same way, but in our case I am fine spending some cash  ;D

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2023, 01:54:43 pm »

If you've got three kids get the Pilot.  If you've got two, I'd go MDX.   

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2023, 02:01:57 pm »

Got two...plus hockey equipment..plus often 1-2 extras and their grear.  Perhaps Suburban is the answer, but $100k is a lot to spend to make other people's kids more comfortable  :rofl2:

THE vehicle is a Sienna, but between dealer markups, absurd delivery times, and my wife's general opposition to a minivan, it's pretty low on the list.  If it were readily available, maybe it would win out, but I can't listen to 18 months of whining about not wanting a van while we wait for it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2023, 02:08:54 pm »

Got two...plus hockey equipment..plus often 1-2 extras and their grear.  Perhaps Suburban is the answer, but $100k is a lot to spend to make other people's kids more comfortable  :rofl2:

THE vehicle is a Sienna, but between dealer markups, absurd delivery times, and my wife's general opposition to a minivan, it's pretty low on the list.  If it were readily available, maybe it would win out, but I can't listen to 18 months of whining about not wanting a van while we wait for it.

MDX does hold three bags of adult sized kids, we've done it.  But that's all your getting in there. 

We had two boys in hockey.  Worked for us but they were always on separate teams, so we weren't typically hauling two hockey bags at once for longer trips.  Short trips, yes, if we were grabbing other kids for a practice/game.