Author Topic: Johnnymac's Much Too Early Car Buying Thread  (Read 25901 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Johnnymac's Much Too Early Car Buying Thread
« on: February 15, 2023, 01:51:36 pm »
Okay, I really didn't want to start a thread until much closer to when I planned on buying, or at least making a decision on what to buy.  This post might be a bit on the long winded side, so I apologize if you lose interest half way through.

So the timeline is anytime after my Civic Si is paid off, which is April of 2025.  My budget is discussed here https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=120647.0 but let's assume it's around $80K before taxes (possibly stretching to $90K if another year is added to the payments).  I would like it to be paid off in 4 years but could extend that out to 5 years if necessary.  The Civic Si will be kept as my bad weather beater, as well as my wife's CR-V.  4 years loan to pay it off would line up on when both Honda's extended warranties are done and likely when the warranty is almost done for the new vehicle. 

Why am I even bringing this up now you ask, well some of the vehicles I'm interested in you have to plan more than a year or two in advance.  Just the way the market is currently.  Gone are the days you can just go to a dealer lot and pick from a couple of Vettes. 

I can see the end of the ICE & manual cars and I really want to get something special before they stop making them (I predict there won't be anything that fits that description in a decade).  I have had a Golf R (hot hatch), a GLI & Civic Si (sports sedans), and it's time to start adding some real performance.  My car bucket list includes a RWD sports car, Muscle Car, Luxury Car, and Grand Tourer.  In my mind some cars can fit into two of those categories (depending on which model and options you pick). 

I prefer buying new, typically better financing rates, know exactly how it was treated, warranties while it's being paid for, having that new car smell, and just doing my job of adding more manual performance cars to the list.  Now some of these vehicles I'll list aren't manual, but I did/do consider them.  So the point of this thread of kind of discussing what others think about the choices and if I'm missing something.  Of course there are oodles of used vehicles out there to discuss and choose from, let's ignore them.

Let's start with the American Iron. 

Chevy Camaro SS 1LE, great performance, loads of power, great powertrain, horrible visibility, price isn't terrible, it's getting quite old, will they even be selling new one's in spring of 2025 (likely not).  This would fit in my Muscle Car and RWD Sports car category (due to the 1LE package).  I don't think this one makes a whole lot of sense.

Chevy C8 Vette, supercar looks and performance, price with the Z51 package is at or above my budget, hard to source (but locally I could get one at MSRP), NO MANUAL.  I just think the price, the lack of a manual, how impractical it is, having to store it in the winter for sure, etc, just doesn't make a lot of sense.  This would really only hit my RWD sports car category, maybe you could argue luxury car but it's a stretch.

Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing, great performance, good looks, great manual, RWD, sleeper, decent price, hard to source (although likely could at MSRP locally if I put a deposit down now), it's a sedan, are Caddy's really that luxury.  Seems like just another sports sedan and would be a bit redundant with my Civic Si and previous GLI fitting into that category.  (I'm excluding the CT5-V Blackwing because the price has gone up more than $10K and takes it out of my comfort zone).

Dodge Challenger, great sounding engine, manual, RWD, great looks, comfy ride, price is a bit high for the level of performance, not a dodge fan really.  This one just doesn't make much sense, even though it would fit both the Muscle Car and Grand Tourer category.  I just can't see this being something I go crazy over.

Ford Mustang GT with performance pack (or Dark Horse if the price falls around the $75K mark), good looks, new, great engine, need the Dark Horse to get the good manual, Ford dealer prices to maintain, can fit both Muscle Car and RWD Sports car categories.  This is actually a very good option and one I'm very much so considering.  The new one is arriving soon and I'm eager to see and read the reviews.  Should be easy enough to source, won't have to put a deposit down for like a year at the earliest.  I would have to store it in the winter as I don't think any true Muscle Car should be driven in the winter, so that's an extra expense and PITA.

Japanese Options

Toyota Supra GR Manual, great performance, decent looks, not a horrible price, fully loaded with no real options, service at a Toyota dealer (I HATE our dealer here), two seater, it's a bit cramped inside, will I drive it in the winter (possibly).  This has the right amount of performance that I'm looking for, for whatever reason it just seems less special.  I would have to get it serviced at an indy or in another city/town because the dealer here is just sooo bad.  Could fit this into two categories maybe, RWD sports car and possibly luxury car (but that's similar to the Vette in that it's a bit of a stretch).  This seems kind of like a backup plan as I think I could order one within 6 months of when I want one and actually get it.

Nissan 400Z (or whatever it's called), good looks, RWD, manual, price isn't horrible, but the performance makes it more of a GT, the interior isn't anything to write home about, will it feel special.  This one is rather easy to right off, just a bit of a disappointment and I can do better elsewhere.

Subaru BRZ, cheap, fun, amazing handling, easy to control and drive nearer the limits, interior is not the best, is it fast enough (no), does it feel special (maybe).  This only fits into the RWD sports car category.  If I was to buy this it would be because I'm using that $30K down payment on something else (maybe land for a cottage, pay off mortgage outright, etc), or that I'm also upgrading my Civic Si to a Type R/Golf R.  Not really an option, but I am going to drive one this summer to see if I might just fall in love.

The Germans.

Basically a two horse race here. 

Porsche Cayman base model with very few options, has the most prestige, not the most exciting engine, looks great, handles amazing, should feel special, hard to source, closest dealer is like 4 hours away.  Am I really going to be that guy who buys a base model Porsche sports car and puff my chest out like it's a GT3?  I don't see that.  I'll save my Porsche plan for a later date and hopefully get a nice used 911 instead.

BMW M2, has more than enough performance, somewhat practical with a rear seat (dogs could fit back there but might need helmets), RWD & Manual, will fit the RWD sports car and luxury car category, is at the top of the budget, not the best looking but also not as bad as the M3/4, dealer is 2 hours away, I would be looking to drive this year round using the Civic as the bad weather car.  Sounds like I can source one, the dealer seems decent to deal with, no dealer markups beside the $500 admin fee.  Is this the one?  It's the one I'm leaning most towards currently.

Okay, so those are the players.  I don't think I'm missing any options really (Miata doesn't appeal, and GR86 is more expensive than BRZ).  What say you fellow Auto's people?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Johnnymac's Much Too Early Car Buying Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 02:16:00 pm »
FWIW, 2023 is the last model year for the Challenger, I believe.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 02:20:14 pm »
To me the answer is pretty easy. I'd take the M2.

Offline Woodrow

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: accord
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 02:24:46 pm »
Holy Christ, man.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 02:27:23 pm »
To me the answer is pretty easy. I'd take the M2.
Not too shocking.  I did leave off two others that I considered but quickly took off, Lexus IS500, too soft, no manual, and the price has crept up quite a bit.  The other is my dream car Lotus Emira V6 manual, it's just too much money, too many compromises, I just can't get my mind around those two things.  But man, what an epic car.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2023, 02:28:09 pm »
FWIW, 2023 is the last model year for the Challenger, I believe.
There could be a second gen, just with a turbo 6 cylinder as the big dog engine.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2023, 02:39:49 pm »
$80k does not buy a used 911? You could skip this intermediate step and go there now. Otherwise I see the M2 as a good fit for you.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2023, 02:58:36 pm »
$80k does not buy a used 911? You could skip this intermediate step and go there now. Otherwise I see the M2 as a good fit for you.
Could, but then I’d likely just look for a AWD 911 and trade in my Civic to drive it year round.  But why would any of you want me buying used, don’t you want me to keep adding new manual cars for your future used buys?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2023, 03:09:25 pm »
M2 as the summer car and Civic traded in for a base WRX as a bad weather hooner

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 03:16:37 pm »
The answer is M2! I loved my M240i which while not an M2 was the most fun car I've ever owned and practical enough for day-to-day activities. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7198
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 03:17:33 pm »
Wait...so we're doing this thread for something that won't happen for a couple years??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2023, 03:20:22 pm »
I wish you were in a position to grab something sooner... I have what I consider to be probably the cleanest and mintiest M2 in Canada right now, a '20 Competition with the manual and less than 15,000km. Was traded to us on an M2 CS that we sought out for a client, and it's absolutely perfect. Market's down right now, and I don't foresee a car like this losing any value down the road.

I'd even ship it to ya enclosed. Dump it in a few years, get your money right back out of it and grab that 911 you're dreaming of. Trade the Civic and drive it year-round!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2023, 03:22:01 pm by TheHire »
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2023, 03:20:29 pm »
Wait...so we're doing this thread for something that won't happen for a couple years??

I don't know I want an M2 now that I am looking at them!

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2023, 03:38:51 pm »
M2 as the summer car and Civic traded in for a base WRX as a bad weather hooner
Nope, the new WRX does not interest me in the least.  Worse fuel economy, worse manual, base interior is meh.  No I will stick to my fun little “performance Prius”, great gas mileage, better looking, fun color, plus a great extended warranty.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2023, 03:40:30 pm »
I know, but for some of these cars you need to plan and put a deposit down more than a year or two in advance.  Not exactly ideal and I really didn’t want to start a thread this far in advance, but a decision could come well in advance of the actual car showing up.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2023, 03:42:23 pm »
I wish you were in a position to grab something sooner... I have what I consider to be probably the cleanest and mintiest M2 in Canada right now, a '20 Competition with the manual and less than 15,000km. Was traded to us on an M2 CS that we sought out for a client, and it's absolutely perfect. Market's down right now, and I don't foresee a car like this losing any value down the road.

I'd even ship it to ya enclosed. Dump it in a few years, get your money right back out of it and grab that 911 you're dreaming of. Trade the Civic and drive it year-round!
Yeah that would be a good option, just the timing is not working.  But come 2029 I will be inquiring about that LC you have on order.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 03:43:33 pm »

I don't know I want an M2 now that I am looking at them!
I fully support this idea. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2023, 04:07:22 pm »
For roads around here I'm thinking a BRZ would be just about ideal.  Nice compliant suspension and great handling, with just enough power to have fun without worrying about losing your license.  ;D  Wouldn't have said that about the last version.  Cayman and M2 would be nice as well but I always seem to veer towards the overachiever...lol  I think it looks better than the M2 as well.  EVO picked it as a finalist for their COTY awards for 2022.   Strangely enough the Lotus Elmira never even made the cut, which is quite telling as EVO is a British production. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgESfH3_4Pc&t=135s

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2023, 04:18:32 pm »
BRZ would be my pick. Base Cayman would be awesome as well. I don’t see the point of owning an M2 if you’re not going to track it.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +16/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2023, 04:34:58 pm »
Nismo Z will likely be out by 2025, no idea how many they'll make or how hard to get, but it would be lower on your budget.