Author Topic: Mrs. Railton goes on a test drive  (Read 49255 times)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Mrs. Railton goes on a test drive
« Reply #200 on: June 24, 2017, 11:36:32 pm »
It's kind of ironic that the FX sitting outside of the Acura showroom above looks so much better than what's inside!  :rofl:

Other than the delaminating dashboard issue.

Photos from my sis in law's FX.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Mrs. Railton goes on a test drive
« Reply #201 on: June 25, 2017, 07:02:51 am »
The Lexus RX gets another look.
Railton
The gen 4 new interior looks nice than our gen 3

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #202 on: June 25, 2017, 07:31:53 am »
It's kind of ironic that the FX sitting outside of the Acura showroom above looks so much better than what's inside!  :rofl:

Wow, that's incredible!  First I've heard of that. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #203 on: June 25, 2017, 08:07:25 am »
You're all smoking funny cigarettes. What vehicle won the 5-way comparo of new three-row SUVs in this month's C&D?  Hint: it was the only vehicle in the comparison test with a 4 cylinder.  You guys have to get out of the 90's.  Railton, you're shutting the door on some excellent vehicles with your no 4 cylinder rule.
I disagree. They don't sound nearly as good as a V8 or V6..and the NVH is unmatched (V8). Since driving an SUV is dynamic purgatory for me...I at least would want a melodious exhaust to keep me awake and interested.

Whatever you're smoking to disagree with that...please take a hit and pass it!

Which C&D issue BTW? July or June?
August.
Just read new Tiguan review. Same engine, isn't it?

Engine described as sounding "gritty" and off the line performance was sluggish with turbo lag.
You assumed because I brought up the fact that a 4 cylinder 3-row SUV won the competition against v6 rivals that it was a German vehicle.  Au contraire.  It was the Mazda CX-9.  As for the Tiguan, I don't know which version of the EA888 it has in it, but I know that it's significantly down on horsepower and torque compared to the Q5.  Besides, I'm not going to help y'all pound another nail into the 4 cylinders' coffin that you have fashioned.  Look up the information for yourself.

It seems like the rest of the automotive universe has moved on to the all-around goodness of boosted small displacement engines.  You need an open mind.  That's all I will say.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #204 on: June 25, 2017, 08:25:18 am »
You're all smoking funny cigarettes. What vehicle won the 5-way comparo of new three-row SUVs in this month's C&D?  Hint: it was the only vehicle in the comparison test with a 4 cylinder.  You guys have to get out of the 90's.  Railton, you're shutting the door on some excellent vehicles with your no 4 cylinder rule.
I disagree. They don't sound nearly as good as a V8 or V6..and the NVH is unmatched (V8). Since driving an SUV is dynamic purgatory for me...I at least would want a melodious exhaust to keep me awake and interested.

August.

Engine described as sounding "gritty" and off the line performance was sluggish with turbo lag.
You assumed because I brought up the fact that a 4 cylinder 3-row SUV won the competition against v6 rivals that it was a German vehicle.  Au contraire.  It was the Mazda CX-9.  As for the Tiguan, I don't know which version of the EA888 it has in it, but I know that it's significantly down on horsepower and torque compared to the Q5.  Besides, I'm not going to help y'all pound another nail into the 4 cylinders' coffin that you have fashioned.  Look up the information for yourself.

It seems like the rest of the automotive universe has moved on to the all-around goodness of boosted small displacement engines.  You need an open mind.  That's all I will say.
AC, we went to the Mazda dealer first to check out the CX-9 with it's  turbo 4 cylinder engine because of it's great styling inside and out and its great reviews. It checked all of the boxes except when it came to that typical 4 cylinder Civic sound on low RPM's. That, and it's AC didn't seem up to the task. That was enough to convince Mrs. Railton to look further.
I've owned 4 cylinder turbo vehicles for 15 years in my past - they can be great. And, they can be great sounding but Mazda needs to do something on the CX-9 to address it's engine sound coming into the cabin and the AC. Maybe pump in some fake noise is the answer. Time will tell.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 25, 2017, 08:59:53 am »
What is she learning towards ?
Maybe one of these
6 or 8 ?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #206 on: June 25, 2017, 09:29:08 am »

Did they ask Infiniti to replace the dash?
Railton
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Infiniti-FX35-Blistering-bubbles-on-dash-How-to-fix-/10000000176085094/g.html
http://www.infinitifx.org/13-1st-gen-2003-2008/20289-bubbling-dash.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 25, 2017, 09:34:24 am »

August.

AC, we went to the Mazda dealer first to check out the CX-9 with it's  turbo 4 cylinder engine because of it's great styling inside and out and its great reviews. It checked all of the boxes except when it came to that typical 4 cylinder Civic sound on low RPM's. That, and it's AC didn't seem up to the task. That was enough to convince Mrs. Railton to look further.
I've owned 4 cylinder turbo vehicles for 15 years in my past - they can be great. And, they can be great sounding but Mazda needs to do something on the CX-9 to address it's engine sound coming into the cabin and the AC. Maybe pump in some fake noise is the answer. Time will tell.
Railton
Ted...clearly you need a more open mind.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 25, 2017, 09:42:10 am »

Do tell how having an open mind will fix one of my biggest gripes...that 4 bangers have an uninspiring sound and generally sound like crap compared to sixes and eights?

And don't forget...I owned a pretty nifty Audi 4 banger. [emoji1]

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 25, 2017, 09:43:34 am »

Do tell how having an open mind will fix one of my biggest gripes...that 4 bangers have an uninspiring sound and generally sound like crap compared to sixes and eights?

What happened to it  ???  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2017, 09:45:24 am »

What happened to it  ???  ;D
Some open minded fellow bought it I think. [emoji1]

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2017, 01:42:24 pm »
Railton

Well?  Where are we at now?  Don't leave us hanging!   :D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2017, 01:59:10 pm »

???

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #213 on: July 03, 2017, 02:30:06 pm »
He said no 4 cylinders; but he did not say anything about 2 cyl.. ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2017, 03:24:40 pm »
Fack , 220 post , 12 pages , ::)
 and nothing ,
are you another No San ?  :rofl2:

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2017, 03:46:02 pm »
Patience, patience.
We don't need the new wheels till we're back from the UK mid August. The selection process is complete.
Railton

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 03, 2017, 03:54:07 pm »
Patience, patience.
We don't need the new wheels till we're back from the UK mid August. The selection process is complete.
Railton

Do you have to get it built ?
Will it be lime green or fire engine fired  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2017, 06:42:47 pm »
The selection process is complete.