Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Traverse  (Read 21958 times)

Offline Woohoo!

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Chevrolet Traverse
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2013, 09:32:39 am »
IMHO, if a vehicle has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs, it can likely take more than that and the number was defined as a "safe" limit.

However, driving a vehicle with a trailer is a technique that requires skill, just like driving in winter or on a racetrack. There are also other factors to consider such as tongue weight, GWVR and the trailer's frontal area (for aerodynamic purposes). Load up the vehicle with kids, luggage and the kitchen sink, to the point of reaching the truck's GWVR or exceeding it, and you're pushing your luck if you hitch a trailer to it. You cannot drive the vehicle like you do when it's empty, which is what some people just don't understand and then run into mechanical problems (or worse, an accident).

The Traverse's transmission has a tow/haul mode which prevents the engine from revving too low, thus not creating enough torque to handle the extra load. I have no problem with the Traverse's 5,200-lb tow capacity, I'll just read the owner's manual and make sure I'm doing it right and respecting the vehicle's limits. I'll also be prudent and change my driving habits.

People also neglect to maintain their vehicle properly. As an example, here's what it says in the Honda Pilot's maintenance schedule: "Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of mechanical (shear) stress to fluid. This requires differential fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the differential fluid changed at 12,000 km, then every 24,000 km."
twitter.com/mdeslauriers