Author Topic: Metal roofing anybody?  (Read 2157 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Metal roofing anybody?
« on: July 25, 2017, 09:09:29 pm »
About time i replace roof shingles at my place.

Getting quotes from contractors now, for standard asphalt shingles but waa curious about metal roofs.

Anyone here have one? If so are they worth twice the cost of regular shingles?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Re: Metal roofing anybody?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:14:59 pm »
Neighbor got one, had to replace his 12 year old asphalt shingle roof on his monster house (4000 sq ft or so).  He seems to like it, and it's survived the wind better than the previous.  He's a dentist.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 09:15:16 pm »
Quality and quality of installation varies wildly.  Do your homework on this one.  Also roof design plays a big part.   I have a metal roof at my cottage, but the roof was designed for one.  Just redid the house and went with asphalt.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:26:14 pm »
Interesting timing. I just got quotes to reroof our detached garage. I was considering metal, mostly because we like the look, but I don't think I will bother.

We got a solid 20+ years out of the asphalt shingles that are on there now, and could probably stretch that out another 2-3 years before they actually started leaking or blowing off. New shingles are apparently even better, so I'm thinking 30 years might be a real possibility. Metal might last 50, but I won't be around to care at that point.  :rofl2:

It's just a garage, so spending double for metal seems kind of silly.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:25 pm »
I was in a house with metal roofing...and I noticed it was louder when it was raining.  Like I could hear it hitting the roof more than a "normal" roof.  Not lots...but enough to notice.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 09:31:02 pm »
Went with metal back in 2004 , it was cheaper than asphalt roof
No problems so far

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:10 pm »

Really? 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 09:32:21 pm »
I was in a house with metal roofing...and I noticed it was louder when it was raining.  Like I could hear it hitting the roof more than a "normal" roof.  Not lots...but enough to notice.
You should try to sleep in a Cessna in the rain,
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Cord

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +104/-115
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:53:32 pm »
Quality and quality of installation varies wildly.  Do your homework on this one.  Also roof design plays a big part.   I have a metal roof at my cottage, but the roof was designed for one.  Just redid the house and went with asphalt.

I agree. Next door neighbor had a metal roof installed and it leaked like a sieve - destroyed the hardwood floors throughout. The original contractor tried to repair it multiple times without success. Homeowner finally contacted another contractor who determined some incorrect hardware/technique had been used, and repaired it once and for all. Last I heard she was pursuing a lawsuit against the original contractor.
"If we can just believe something then we don't have to really think for ourselves, do we?" Paul Haggis

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:12:42 pm »

A friend of ours built a house a few years ago and went with a metal roof. I haven't been there when it's raining, but he's commented that it can get pretty loud. But it's also a flat roof (no attic or trusses with airspace) so might be louder than with traditional roof construction.

And, now that I think about it, we had a metal roof in our last place. Not the usual flat sheets of metal (standing seam), but more like shingles that were made of metal instead of fiberglass (or whatever they make shingles out of.)

That roof looked great and was supposed to last 50 years, but of course we sold the place 15 years later. I hope the new owner is enjoying the money I spent.  :P

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 12:44:34 am »
You should try to sleep in a Cessna in the rain,
Railton
Like a 50 gallon drum....

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 05:22:14 am »
We have just replaced our roof with new fiberglass shingles.  We thought seriously about metal and decided against it.   Two reasons.
We are old enough that we'll never get a payback.   The location and size of our lot makes it very likely that if we sold the house would be bought by a builder, torn down and replaced by two new houses...seems to be happening around here.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 06:19:55 am »

Really?
There is a local place that does metal rolled, http://havelockmetal.com
so I bought it there and used one of their installers
I also had two layers of shingles that needed to be removed , if I went  shingles again,
So the shingles were let on the roof, the metal roof was installed over the old roofing , so there not much noise if it rains
The shingles in the early 2000 were pretty :censor:

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 07:46:21 am »
I've noticed a few roof's in the neighborhood replaced with metal roofing. Seems to be getting more popular. It looks good actually and I think there is greater options with colour.

For the one's I've seen, they install the metal roofing directly on top of the old shingles, first shimming with wood strips. I would also agree that in any roofing job, the installation is what makes it good or bad.

How much more is a metal roof?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 08:42:24 am »
A friend of mine recently got a quote for a new metal roof. First quote was $50k, and he beat them down to $28k which seems like an insane difference.

I know someone else who paid well over $50k for their new metal roof.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 08:57:33 am »
Friend of mine had one installed. It costs him 5 times as much as a shingle roof. Has had ongoing problems with leaks around dormers (still does years later). Also he had a steep pitch on roof and all the snow slips off roof. The installed did not install snow stops on roof to prevent this. Thus he loses the insulating value of the snow and when the snow come off the roof it comes off like an avalanche (very dangerous). It came off so fast once it tore the railing off the deck.

Anyways his 50 year warranty was useless because installer when bankrupt shortly after roof was done. I would not doubt he open operations again under a different name.

Buyer beware.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 09:03:06 am »
Friend of mine had one installed. It costs him 5 times as much as a shingle roof. Has had ongoing problems with leaks around dormers (still does years later). Also he had a steep pitch on roof and all the snow slips off roof. The installed did not install snow stops on roof to prevent this. Thus he loses the insulating value of the snow and when the snow come off the roof it comes off like an avalanche (very dangerous). It came off so fast once it tore the railing off the deck.

Anyways his 50 year warranty was useless because installer when bankrupt shortly after roof was done. I would not doubt he open operations again under a different name.

Buyer beware.
The snow stop was probably an extra
This is first I have ever heard of someone talk about insulating value on a roof
Usually with freeze / thaw that would happen you could get ice build up under shingles causing more problems

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 09:40:35 am »
i got a quote for metal roof from one place, and multiple quotes for shingle roofs.

metal is 2.5x  the lowest shingle roof quote i got.  about 60% more than highest shingle quote i got as well.

tells you how much spread i'm seeing just in shingle roof quote...   

my better half is ambivalent on metal roof..  she doesn't love it, nor like the extra costs.  ..i kinda want it, but it is more expensive.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 10:21:47 am »
i got a quote for metal roof from one place, and multiple quotes for shingle roofs.

metal is 2.5x  the lowest shingle roof quote i got.  about 60% more than highest shingle quote i got as well.

tells you how much spread i'm seeing just in shingle roof quote...   

my better half is ambivalent on metal roof..  she doesn't love it, nor like the extra costs.  ..i kinda want it, but it is more expensive.

That's quite the premium...I would pass and use the difference for some other upgrade / fix to the house (I'm sure you have a long list)

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 11:13:27 am »
Does the roof of your house have various valleys etc.?