Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Kia Optima EX Turbo  (Read 14567 times)

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Kia Optima EX Turbo
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 07:17:10 pm »
Is this a review or an ad? It doesn't really tell me anything about how it handles or how it performs.

A far too common thing for the site of late. "If it's Asian, it's amazin'..." ::)
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 07:20:57 pm »
Is this pixelated interior optional?  /sarc  What a sub-par gallery of pics to accompany the article.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »
All that power without good steering feedback takes the fun out of the car.  Kia would do themselves well to get the chassis dynamics, suspension tuning and steering feel from the likes of Mazda.  Then it would really be the complete package.  Otherwise, the car is a stellar looker and great value.

I have an Optima, my wife has a Mazda.... mine has MUCH better steering feel and dynamics.

http://nlcarblog.blogspot.ca/

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 09:17:45 pm »
I have an Optima, my wife has a Mazda.... mine has MUCH better steering feel and dynamics.

you're kidding...right?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:28 pm »

you're kidding...right?

Lol!  I hope he his.  I wonder if it is an old school MPV.  Then it makes sense.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 09:42:03 am »
Is this pixelated interior optional?  /sarc  What a sub-par gallery of pics to accompany the article.

Actually, Gerry takes some super crisp photos... this was a weird production hiccup, resizing them too small. We're fixing them up, so thanks for pointing that out.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2013, 09:56:46 am »
Is this a review or an ad? It doesn't really tell me anything about how it handles or how it performs.

A far too common thing for the site of late. "If it's Asian, it's amazin'..." ::)

If only all automotive journalists were as unbiased, objective and open-minded as you, Greg.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2013, 11:41:19 am »
A few random thougths and non-specific responses to some of the issues raised in this thread:

1) Steering feel is by far not a Kyundai strength and something they defiinitely need to improve upon.  Given the rapid pace of their improvement in virtually every other area, I have no doubt that this will be addressed going forward.

2) Steering feel is by far not a strength of the mainstream FWD midsize sedan segment.  Others might be better, but not to the extreme degree that some suggest.  I drove everything in the segment when I was shopping.

3) There is close to zero torque-steer in my car, and similarly so in the brief spin I took in an Optima turbo.  Yes, that is because the electronic nannies limit torque output in a hard launch from rest.  Not sure why this is a negative - the car still manages 6.1 / 6.2 sprints to 60, which is more than respectable for the class.  And I wouldn't trade a few tenths of a second for a lot torque-squirming.

4) Snowman - the extra power beyond 220 might be useless in a full throttle launch - but such is hardly the primary mission statement for Camcordimanata.  It IS pretty useful in pretty much every other situation, particularly so in part throttle response and highway passing - which for me are far more frequent circumstances than foot-through-the-firewall launches.

5) Do we really need to collectively b!tch and moan that "RWD would be better!" for every FWD car that is reviewed?  The market thinks differently.  If the demand existed, we'd all be up to our eyeballs in RWD manual shift diesel wagons.  There is a reason that we're not.

6) The Optima is a terrific looking car and a very solid value.  I am surprised that I seem to see 10 or 20 Sonatas for every Optima, but I guess Kia doesn't have as strong a dealer network as Hyundai?  There are two deal-breakers for me with this car - the facking cheesy FAKE fender vents and the red/orange instrumentation lighting (hated that on my Altima for the entire 4 years that I owned it).

7) Good review.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2013, 11:53:24 am »
A few random thougths and non-specific responses to some of the issues raised in this thread:

1) Steering feel is by far not a Kyundai strength and something they defiinitely need to improve upon.  Given the rapid pace of their improvement in virtually every other area, I have no doubt that this will be addressed going forward.

2) Steering feel is by far not a strength of the mainstream FWD midsize sedan segment.  Others might be better, but not to the extreme degree that some suggest.  I drove everything in the segment when I was shopping.

3) There is close to zero torque-steer in my car, and similarly so in the brief spin I took in an Optima turbo.  Yes, that is because the electronic nannies limit torque output in a hard launch from rest.  Not sure why this is a negative - the car still manages 6.1 / 6.2 sprints to 60, which is more than respectable for the class.  And I wouldn't trade a few tenths of a second for a lot torque-squirming.

4) Snowman - the extra power beyond 220 might be useless in a full throttle launch - but such is hardly the primary mission statement for Camcordimanata.  It IS pretty useful in pretty much every other situation, particularly so in part throttle response and highway passing - which for me are far more frequent circumstances than foot-through-the-firewall launches.

5) Do we really need to collectively b!tch and moan that "RWD would be better!" for every FWD car that is reviewed?  The market thinks differently.  If the demand existed, we'd all be up to our eyeballs in RWD manual shift diesel wagons.  There is a reason that we're not.

6) The Optima is a terrific looking car and a very solid value.  I am surprised that I seem to see 10 or 20 Sonatas for every Optima, but I guess Kia doesn't have as strong a dealer network as Hyundai?  There are two deal-breakers for me with this car - the facking cheesy FAKE fender vents and the red/orange instrumentation lighting (hated that on my Altima for the entire 4 years that I owned it).

7) Good review.

I agree with you say for the most part.  Regarding item 2, that maybe true.  However, with the sporty flair that the styling of the Optima suggests, you would hope that it backed it up with steering feel and handling dynamics.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2013, 12:12:57 pm »
yea, i was pretty sure the torque steer was negligent (as i said, i didn't really notice any).

in somewhat related news, i got my prepaid Visa card in yesterday for the Fuel Economy adjustment program...$132.  ;D
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »
If only all automotive journalists were as unbiased, objective and open-minded as you, Greg.

But you said I WASN'T Greg. IIRC you posted a rousing defense when one of the other netcops called me that a while ago. It was supposedly one or more of the other 5 or 6 voices who disagree with the collective here that was supposed to be Greg. I'm just really confused now. How many Gregs are there out there? And who am I? Cue Roger Daltrey singing "Who are you... ooh ooh ooh ooh..." :rofl:

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 12:22:25 pm »
I agree with you say for the most part.  Regarding item 2, that maybe true.  However, with the sporty flair that the styling of the Optima suggests, you would hope that it backed it up with steering feel and handling dynamics.

Fair enough, but the car can only reasonably be judged within the context of its class / market segment.  I'd guess that the handling dynamics are above class average.  The steering, below.  It doesn't have the steering feel of a 3-series sedan.  Or a Civic Si.  Nothing in this class does.  I don't find steering feel overall to be poor in the Sonata - but it has this weird dead spot on-center that can be off-putting the first time you drive it - and I am not surprised that it draws criticism in reviews  Otherwise, it's not like I struggle to figure out what the front wheel are doing.

From what I've read, the new Accord may be the best of the bunch when it comes to steering feel.  The old one certainly wasn't anything to write home about in this regard.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:20 pm »
But you said I WASN'T Greg.

I was wrong.  How's the Regal treating you?

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 12:33:41 pm »
Agreed on the comments about colour.  Bright red isn't flattering on many large sedans, and isn't here.  Has anyone seen this in a deep burgundy-red - almost oxblood or black cherry - with a taupe / beige interior?  That combo is seriously nice.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 12:55:37 pm »

That's certainly a factor in my mind.  The experience I had at a Kia dealer last year was abysmal.  Pure amateur hour.
Pretty sure i'd rather have the Optima over a Sonata if i had to choose between the two..but the dealership experience needs some work.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 01:54:21 pm »

Fair enough, but the car can only reasonably be judged within the context of its class / market segment.  I'd guess that the handling dynamics are above class average.  The steering, below.  It doesn't have the steering feel of a 3-series sedan.  Or a Civic Si.  Nothing in this class does.  I don't find steering feel overall to be poor in the Sonata - but it has this weird dead spot on-center that can be off-putting the first time you drive it - and I am not surprised that it draws criticism in reviews  Otherwise, it's not like I struggle to figure out what the front wheel are doing.

From what I've read, the new Accord may be the best of the bunch when it comes to steering feel.  The old one certainly wasn't anything to write home about in this regard.

Not to mention the 2014 Mazda 6... I'll have to see first hand when I drive one.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 03:27:32 pm »

That's certainly a factor in my mind.  The experience I had at a Kia dealer last year was abysmal.  Pure amateur hour.
Pretty sure i'd rather have the Optima over a Sonata if i had to choose between the two..but the dealership experience needs some work.

you should check em out down south!

I was down in florida about a month ago and swung into the kia dealership... huge.. and according to the stats i had found at the time, they were doing crazy numbers... as in the 500/month range. nutso!

you could tell on the roads too.. optima's all over the place. looked pretty darn good.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2013, 03:57:00 pm »
^^^ Yep - I've seen way more of them in the States (Atlanta, New York) than I do up here.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2013, 05:02:17 pm »

7) Good review.

1) They have tried to address it by adding the 3 steering modes (comfort, sport, and something else that I can't remember)...reviewers still say the settings are useless and none feel right.  I'm sure someone will get the electric steering right - I hear BMW's isn't bad, and Subaru's is mounted on the rack instead so it's apparently a bit better - haven't tried either though.

4) since 220hp (or 274hp in this case) is only available at redline, and no tranny-load will hold a redline start, the statement is inherently flawed...but the point is that torque-steer can be a problem, but if the electrical nannies take over and still manage 6-second jaunts, I'm convinced.

7) agreed.  We should be thanking authors more - they do such a great job and keep us so thoroughly entertained :)

Offline Car Guy

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 Volvo S60 R-Design. Previous Vehicles: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe, 2004 Audi A4 1.8T, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 Subaru Legacy, 2001 Oldsmobile Alero (Ack!), 1991 Chevy Cavalier, 1983 Mustang GT
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:14 am »
No AWD = No Sale